1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sloan sports analytics conference

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GBRocket, Mar 2, 2012.

1. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Gervis Menzies Jr. ‏ @the_GERV
    John Hollinger, ESPN "What Lin shows is that outliers are always going to happen. You can't always map improvement from a player." #SSAC

Jonathan Givony ‏ @DraftExpress
    Van Gundy disagrees that there are a lot of other Jeremy Lin's out there who can do what he is, but aren't getting the opportunity. #SSAC

Mike Cook ‏ @whimsicalcookie
    Panel on Lin: Has benefited from D'Antoni's system & faith in him, complementary wing shooters, and soft schedule. #SSAC

2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

hahaha

sweet move

3. redhotrox

Rob Mahoney ‏ @RobMahoney
    "The game's as much of a first-quarter game as a fourth-quarter game." - JVG, spitting truths #ssac #TrueHoopMIT

numberFire, inc. ‏ @numberFire
    JVG: "Everyone wants to talk about crunch time, but give me guys who are good in the 1st as well. I'd rather be up 10 than down." #SSAC

Andres Alvarez ‏ @NerdNumbers
    Van Gundy: "To all the people that want to bash LeBron over whatever. Well give him to me and we'll figure out the last three minutes"#ssac

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It should eventually be posted online, like past years. May have to wait a few months.

5. Kerdaboy

Kerdaboy Member

LOL Scott O'Neil thanking Morey for the cash cow.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If I were Morey, I'd get a fedex envelope, address it to David Stern c/o the New Orleans Hornets and stuff that jersey in it.

7. redhotrox

Dave Cutler ‏ @CutlerDave
    "Those jokes aren't getting old" -@sportsguy33 after Jeff Van Gundy continues the merciless teasing of @dmorey for cutting @JLin7#SSAC

BBALLBREAKDOWN ‏ @bballSource
    #ssac Jeff Van Gundy: "Your best players need to be in lock step with you (the coach). If it doesn't work out, blame me."

Patrick Pawlicki ‏ @pdpawlicki
    "You can't tolerate in victory what you wouldn't tolerate in defeat." -Coach Van Gundy #ssac

Ely Rygier ‏ @elyrygier
    Daryl Morey asks Bill Simmons "What can we learn about hiring and firing coaches?" Bill Simmons "You should know. You've fired two."#ssac

Andre Khatchaturian ‏ @AndreKhatch
    Daryl morey: more GMs should be fired. They're on the hot seat media wise but not ownership wise because of the constant interaction #SSAC

numberFire, inc. ‏ @numberFire
    General consensus on this panel is that coaches get fired in a lot of situations that aren't their fault - more GMs need to go. #SSAC

1 person likes this.
  8. arjun

arjun Member

i would kill to be there and listen to all the discussion.

will a video be up lateR?

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That's ironic coming from the coach who's lack of crunch-time offense did him in with the Rockets. I'm sure there were times when he said, "Give me Yao and T-Mac, and we'll figure out the last three minutes.", but clearly it wasn't that easy. I love JVG, and think he's a hell of a coach, but his offensive ineptitude was painful to watch sometimes.

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He wasn't necessarily inept. He simply wore his team down before crunch time. Like a racer going full bore on an empty tank. Van Gundy's teams always ran out of gas at the end of games and towards the end of the season. Because he beat the dickens out of them early and often. And he wouldn't develop anyone so he could play beyond a 7 man rotation.

Great coach.

But short-sighted.

11. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

If anyone is there, can you please ask Morey if he still doesn't draft players based on potential?

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

He should tell him thanks for taking T Mac's corpse, and following that up by signing Amare "No Knees" Stoudemire to a max deal.

13. SPF35

SPF35 Member

can anyone post van gundys interview?

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its not that JVG is bad with developing, its that he had too much control with the GM. CD and JVG had too much of a good relationship to the point where CD would ask JVG which players to get. Being an extremely loyal guy, JVG would get his NYC boyz like Charlie Ward and Rod Strickland.

The result was you had Tmac, Yao and a bunch of useless trash. So really, our stars performed poorly at the end not because JVG wore them out, its because the lack of talent on the team caused them to lift too heavy a load so in the 4rth they were gassed. I'll never forget watching Tmac fight against Kirilenko, bonner and other Jazzhole thugs who each took turns guarding him, and Yao Ming getting played like a yoyo between Boozer and Okur.

15. stefanb

stefanb Member

It is very ironic that this was at the Sloan Analytics Conference.

16. roksoer

roksoer Member

the chicago bulls?

17. roksoer

roksoer Member

the chicago bulls?

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Define: 5 @2012, please.

19. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Lots of videos have been uploaded already:
    http://www.sloansportsconference.com/?page_id=481&sort_cate=2012

You mean the Basketball Analytics panel?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O2vC6NLRH6U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. jbasket

jbasket Member

Donatas is definitely a stretch the floor type four. That is where his potential will be the greatest.