1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark this series

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 1, 2014.

?

Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark this series

1. True

282 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. False

231 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. yunac010

yunac010 Member

I wonder how Clutch acts in front of Lin.

2. calcium

calcium Member

I thought we were only doing games prior to Game 5?

And I did use the word "were" as in "were in a 3-1 hole".

Now if I'd used the word "are" as in "are in a 3-1 hole", then you'd be right.

And I certainly hope we kick the Blazers bottoms as we rightfully should.

And I certainly hope ALL the players turn up to play.

JHarden is overdue for a monster game.

And apologies to Clutch if I caused any offence. Was not my intention.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like he's talking to a bench player

1 person likes this.
  4. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Oh ok my bad. I have a short attention span and suffer from ADHD.

5. torocan

torocan Member

Just a few observations.

1. Clutch, founder of CF or not, moderator or not, IS biased.
    2. EVERYONE is biased, whether they acknowledge it or not. Every human being starts from a position of biased viewpoints and interpretations. Those biases stem from their own stereotypes, preconceptions, level of knowledge, flawed memories and thought processes.
    3. Most people believe they are objective instead of subjective. It is actually the opposite.
    4. Most people who think they are being objective, do NOT make serious attempts to strip their observations and memories of their own personal biases.
    5. Most people overestimate their own ability to remember and observe a complex series of events. IE, they THINK they understand what's happening on the floor, when in reality they are seeing only a fraction of what is happening on the floor.
    6. Most people overestimate their understanding of basketball, whether they are "hardcore" fans or not.

As for the whole "numbers" people vs "eye test" people, of course you have to contextualize numbers with observation of what actually happening on the court. However, what most people consider "watching" the game is actually the most superficial observation of what's happening on the court.

Unless someone is reviewing EVERY play for EVERY player MULTIPLE times and maintaining a RECORD of those plays, then your "impressions" are going to be both flawed and biased. Things often happen WAY too fast on the court to even understand a single play in real time, let alone an entire game. And unless you are doing this exercise for every player, you really are NOT understanding what each player is contributing.

For example, people love to say Lin has a bad TO resulting from a jump pass EVERY game. I did a video break down over a 10 game stretch for Lin including 20/22 available TO's on video from Synergy.

Of those 20 TO's, 4 were jump passes. 4 jump passes over a 10 game stretch, supported by the ACTUAL video play by plays. Yet people still think that Lin is doing a jump pass TO, or even multiple jump pass TO's every game.

Surprised? You shouldn't be.

Then Why is it that people believe Lin makes a bad jump pass every game? It's because our ability to observe, remember and analyze information is fundamentally FLAWED and unreliable.

If you believe that you're able to view a complex series of events while actually correctly remembering and assessing the information, then I present the following exercise.

Here is a video. Watch the video and follow the instructions.

http://youtu.be/vJG698U2Mvo

Here is another video. Once again, follow the instructions.

http://youtu.be/lHd_L7dg3U4

My point is this, the idea that ANYONE can watch a basketball game with 10 players AND a ball in constant motion and have ANY idea of how anyone is actually playing in a game without countless replays and the recording of data of some kind is pretty much crazy.

It's why we have box scores and statistics. It's also why teams and coaches have to review game film multiple times to even begin to understand how their team and individual players played on any given night. And these are basketball lifers who are some of the best coaches in the world with many years of experience breaking down and analyzing games.

Nearly all of us have jobs, real life responsibilities, and limited time to analyze Rockets games. Clutch may spend a LOT of time watching basketball, but does he commit anywhere near the amount of time necessary to break down the play of ANY player on the Rockets? Let alone the Bulk of the players on the team?

Like the rest of us Clutch must go by what his own impressions and flawed memory tells him. And because he is human he will be shaped by his own biases, flawed memory and perception filters.

Clutch may be a hard core Rockets fan, but he's also human.

1 person likes this.
  6. Baruch

Baruch Member

Now I understand why this board has so much hate on Lin ;)

Very biased and unprofessional indeed.

It's really a waste of time reading hateful and trolling comments instead of just enjoying the games :(

7. calcium

calcium Member

:)

Dont sweat it. It's no biggie.

Just as long we get out of Round 1.

8. calcium

calcium Member

Not that I'm in market research or anything, but the wording of the poll could be improved.

ie. I wanted to vote that Lin has not done a good job prior to Game 5.

So in my head, it'd be a "False". ie. JLin had not done good.
    But in order for my vote to reflect the above, I have to vote True.

In my opinion, a better wording (from a questionnaire design perspective) would be

Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin has done a great job of being an offensive spark this series - True or False.

ie. in removing the negation, if you think he's done a good, vote positive (True) and if you
    think he's done a bad job, vote negative (False)
    which is more consistent.

As opposed to, if you think he's done a good, vote negative (False) and if you
    think he's done a bad job, vote positive (True).

Yes, I had to think about it.

I am thinking a lot of the "False" respondents meant to say that "JLin did not deliver".

9. adobo

adobo Member

I think Clutch should have done a different poll "Is Jeremy Lin the most compelling personality in the NBA? Yes Or No".

I can understand where clutch is coming from to an extent. His probably surprised at how compelled people are (LOH and LOF's alike) at this person Jeremy Lin.

Jeremy Lin chatter has taken over his forum, win or lose, when he plays great or not, his everywhere and talked about...something that has never been experienced in the history of this forum.

I guess it's the curious case of Jeremy Lin.

10. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Like Donald Sterling.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Like he's talking to a Houston Rocket

12. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

And it is good for the forum because every view, every click to the website means income to support the server and beyond.

13. PeppermintCandy

I haven't seen Clutch go so hard at one (relevant) player since the days of Rafer "Bringing a Spoon to a Knifefight" Alston.

14. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Anything to bring traffic to clutchfans right? Whether its trolling or not, as long as it brings traffic, even if its borderline racist, pure hate and unreasonable judgement Clutch and the mods will keep it. Because it brings in traffic. The supposed LOF doesnt even come around here anymore, half of them are trolls and the mods allow it. You cant even talk fair points about Lin without being labeled LOF. SO much for a bench player that isnt the 1-3rd option on the team, but can make a difference when he does play. But shove all the blame on Lin and cry about LOF all day for a guy who isn't even the main option on the team. Amazing. But hey, its bringing more traffic to clutchfans right?

15. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

lol some of you guys are taking this too seriously. as Torocan says - Clutch is human, he's allowed to be biased and form his own opinion too.

Besides, this is the internet, there will be always be trolls. xx Only Fans will always exist, and there will always be the overly irrational fan who depends their player or criticizes another. This is sports. Most fans are biased because they want their team/player to do well. We are all fanatics one way or another.

16. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

In conducting appropriate survey questions, one must be clear in the wording and the design of the question.

If Clutch also defined the word 'great' it might reduce the number of 'complaints' or discussion in the thread. But I guess forums are for opinions and discussion.

Side topic - Harden is under a different microscope as well. He is the carry of the team - or supposed to be. That's the expectations set for him. having said that, Lin is supposed to be the sixth man who can score off the bench, those are expectations of him. Howard is THE superstar no doubt. Both ends of the court, playing fantastic. that is why there is no criticism for him. Plus he's such a likeable, at least for me.

17. sn09

sn09 Member

Haha well this sure as hell backfired on Clutch.

I for one believe that Lin has played pretty good throughout this series barring a couple of costly brain farts.

Lets just say that he is most certainly NOT the first person I'm blaming for the fact that we are down 3-2.

18. sutton

sutton Member

clutch time g1-g4

11pts 4-8fga, LIN

Harden 4-21fga, parson 0 ,bevs 0

--

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Posts like your sig have no place on this board, no matter how infuriating I find Lin's play at times. I think all true fans here agree on that.

20. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Da Truth Bomb right there.