1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs vs. Thunder - 2012 Western Conference Finals

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, May 21, 2012.

?

Who wins the series?

Poll closed May 27, 2012.
  1. Spurs in 4

6 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. Spurs in 5

14 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Spurs in 6

45 vote(s)
    24.6%
  4. Spurs in 7

26 vote(s)
    14.2%
  5. OKC in 4

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  6. OKC in 5

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. OKC in 6

44 vote(s)
    24.0%
  8. OKC in 7

44 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

With the lack of quality big men in the league nowadays, hardly any team has a true low post game. Lakers are probably the best suited, however, Pau is a softy and Bynum is a head-case.

Of the three teams left, Celtics with Garnet is probably the best "low-post" player however even his game is hardly a traditional low post one. I will take Kevin Durant's offense over Garnet's offense anyday.

Low post plays implies high % FG. As of right now Thunder offense looks like it will generate the highest FG%, however they havent faced a Celtics or heat defense yet.

And please dont overlook the importance of making jumpshots. Had the Miami heat been a jump-shot team, they would have won the finals last year. Durant and harden's ability to make tough jumpers actually gives them a huge advantage in the payoffs, which is why they are going to the finals.

2. Seth

Seth Member

The Spurs are competing with a core of 34 years average. If i was a spur fan i would never be upset with a core that gave me 3 championships and mantain such a high level of profesionalism.
    They are old and we all know it, but gotta take your hat´s off, they have exceeded expectations in the last 3 years were everyone saw them as barelly playoffs pretenders.

3. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

lmao, are you guys watching this kevin durant movie commercial?

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Spurs had 34 points in the first quarter. 36 in the 2nd half.

Parker ninja-vanished for most of the 2nd half.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Is that Thunderstruck movie actually real? Please tell me it's not.

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

7. Rockets1994

Rockets1994 Member

8. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Yeah... I'm afraid so.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If only the Grizzlies can get that lucky, they will show the world that they are on the Thunder's level.

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

11. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Benched him when( oh last year game 2 againist the Mavs), Westbrook has never missed a game in his NBA Career as far as i know

But in the press confernce did you know what Scott Brooks said, he said Russell is still MY guy

12. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Absolutely. I definitely rooted for the Thunder due to Scott Brooks and Durant, but you have to give the Spurs nothing but respect. I was very disappointed in them last year, but they have nothing to hang their head about - they have been and are a class act through and through- they ran into a team who is a little younger and a little better, but not by much. It stinks that someone had to lose.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

In addition to shooting jumpers, OKC slashes and attacks the rim. They led the NBA if FT% and FTs made. This more than compensates for a lack of low-post scoring. They get plenty of points in the paint. (In fact, didn't Tony Parker lead the NBA in scoring in the paint one year).

It's not like they are just a bunch of set-shot artists or 3-point bombers.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I have to give props to Brooks. He did OK against the Mavs and Lakers but smashing the Spurs 4 games in-a-row after losing the first two can't be argued with. He's the right man for the job.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Spurs peaked too early? I think i called it after they went up 2-0 ;)

I wonder what they'll do next....I can't imagine they blow it up.

How much money would they have to use this summer if TD re-signed for like 2-3 mill?

16. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Benching a guy like K Mart or T Will who were playing like s**t and/or bad attitude/bad effort isn't the same as shutting a guy like Russell out of a few games. WB seems like the kind of player Mchale would fall in love with even on bad nights because when he loses his cool it's because he's competitive and he always plays all out. I'm not a huge Mchale fan, but, you can't say he would bench guys who play all-out.

17. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Exactly. They fast break with the best of them. They can run a team into the ground. So its not all jump shots. When they are not fast breaking they are making jumpshots. When they dont do that? Durant can take over and Harden can drive to the hoop as well. Its well balanced offence missing only a back to the basket post up player.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm just saying if they win a C, it will be an exception to the rule. You have to go back to the Jordan Bulls to find another team to win a C without a serious low post game. And even then, Jordan was doing a lot of posting up from the midblock.

I did see Durant posting up some tonight. But they don't do it enough.......yet. They are not a balanced offensive team. They are the exception.

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

LMAO. Just man up and admit you were wrong. The game has changed to be an open court, guard oriented league similar to the NCAA tournament. It's not going anywhere either.

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You are wrong, just like your signature is.