1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nike's New College Basketball Uniforms

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by gucci888, Mar 5, 2007.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

March 5, 2007—Looks like those baggy shorts so popular among college hoops teams may finally be on their way out. Taking their place? Really, really baggy shorts. Starting tomorrow night, four top schools—Arizona, Florida, Ohio State, and Syracuse—will don Nike's System of Dress, a radical new look that brings Raf Simons–style proportion-play to the hard court. Complementing the aforementioned shorts are formfitting jerseys ten inches smaller in the torso, resulting in a second-skin look that's more Bode Miller than Ben Wallace. Players will also be able to customize their uniforms by adding options like padded shorts (to protect against the errant knee or elbow) and Dwyane Wade–style leg wraps. "There's sort of that tattoo mentality in basketball of guys wanting to share a similar look but also stand out within that look," explains Hans George, GM of Nike's global basketball business. "We expect that they make take some of the componentry and do something we might not really have imagined ourselves." Time will tell whether the new look catches on with more traditionally minded programs—something tells us Coach K will be a tough sell—but one thing's for certain: Those nut-huggers you wore in junior high aren't coming back anytime soon.

Nike System of Dress jerseys, $75, shorts, $60. Available at www.niketown.com, select Nike retailers, and at campus bookstores of the four debut teams.

http://men.style.com/news/style/030507

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

that looks badass

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't know. It's kind of ridiculous, I think. The form fitting tops just don't look breathable. If they are, then that's cool.

The shorts may be a bit too baggy, and I don't like the long sleeves.

I guess it's just more of a street look.

4. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

let's hope Texas doesn't get Nike to give them any of those System of Dress unis anytime soon- I dunno if i could stand to see Dexter Pittman in one.

Plus its just some more crap for Nike to sell on college campuses- another marketing tool just like when Texas wore the black alternate jerseys last year when they played Duke, supposedly to celebrate the 100 years of Texas basketball (yeah right).

5. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I'm just glad Bryant "Big Country" Reeves isn't in college any more! :eek:

6. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Next thing you know they implement a 'track' uniform on the courts to give better movements...

then Stern will ultimately decide our NBA-ers to wear speedos...

[shudders]

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Form fitting jerseys? Thats just not comfortable! Tight jerseys can make shooting awkward. Also I like Florida's jersey better the first time when the Nets wore it. But they do look pretty cool...

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That Ohio State player looks like he's ready to go down the luge with a skirt on.

9. aboinamedray

aboinamedray Contributing Member

those uniforms are the most ridiculous things i have ever seen in sports. the only thing worse i can think of is when the sox took the field in shorts.

10. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

that's what i'm sayin' man. what if you're a big fellow (fat) and you don't want your upper body to be revealed so much. man boobs may soon be jiggling all over our tv screens...

they cannot possibly wear this during march madness...

11. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Why don't they just get it over with and put dresses on...

Damn.

12. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

13. Summer Song Giver

My pentecostal highschool girls volleyball team used to wear those same shorts cept they called the koulots.

14. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

Long sleeves?!?!?

Umm...

Synthetic fabric, form-fitting, and long sleeves = itchy, hot, sweaty, stinky

And... ugh... the baggy shorts. You'd have thought that 90's trend would have died in the 90's.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

what i hate about the nike college basketball uniforms is that they all had the same trim design.

look at unc, and ohio state, and everybody with nike. they all have that same little trim on their shoulders.

16. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

The NBA looks really old now because Stern cut the shorts. Why can't the NBA have a little more length in the shorts. Looks nicer and cooler.

17. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

actually that pro-fit fabric that Nike uses isnt itchy at all, or hot. And the material is designed to absorb sweat and wick sweat off of your skin; the sweat then evaporates into the air. it's like that under armour stuff.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I saw Syracuse wearing them today in the Big East tourney. They looked better, though still not good, than I expected. I didn't see anybody wearing sleeve which I think helps a little.

19. Asian Sensation

Looks stupid as hell. Are those basketball players or football players ready to practice without pads?

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think i kind of like the look.

but the guy in red kind of looks like he is wearing a skirt.