1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

WITNESS: Bobcats the 2nd worst team in league history?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.sports-reference.com/blog/2012/02/ny-times-taking-ineptness-to-new-lows/

Bobcats = must watch TV. Witness history in the making.

Do these guys even have a high-level prospect among the young players?

Who is their best player now? I know they are tanking for a pick (to be used on Harrison Barnes for sure, given Jordan's NC bias), but this is ridiculous.

2. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Barnes won't help their team (his ceiling, in my eyes, is a really good, scoring sixth man) so that'll be hilarious if they pick him. The entire time they've been in existence they've had nothing but godawful draft picks and personal moves.

To me, the gap between the best teams (Bulls, Heat, Thunder) in this league and the worst (Bobcats, New Orleans, Washington) has never been wider. It's kind of sad.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Bobcats can turn it around in a hurry if they draft a stud this summer and wisely spend money on free agents. If they don't start strongly next season and give their fans some early hope, may as well shut 'em down.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

(League contraction would make some sense. Though I DONT think they HAVE to.)

I think there are MORE COMPETITIVE teams than before. The Western Conference is TOUGH, and has been for more than decade.

Also a team doesnt have to stay in the gutter if they're savvy enough.

The CLIPPERS have gotten good.
    Washington was a decent team when Gilbert Arenas was healthy.
    The Bulls were TERRIBLE after the Jordan era for a LONG time. Until they got some smart draft picks and good coaching. No Marcus Fizer busts.
    The Sixers are a team stepping up after years of mediocrity.
    Memphis caught a break with Zach Randolph and was a TOUGH team for an 8th seed.

5. Carl Herrera

That's the plan-- which, frankly, is better than the old plan of mortgaging the future and taking on undesirable contracts for a desperate playoff run and making dumb moves like trading away Chandler for limited salary relief. I think the new GM, Rich Cho, has the right idea. I like the draft-day moves that ended up with them drafting Biyombo and Walker. The draftees may or may not pan out, but you gotta take a chance.

This year, though, they'll have to hope for lotto luck and better get that pick right-- remember, there are several teams with similarly bad records in the league and even if their record is the worst, they might still only end up with the 4th pick. Another Adam Morrison or Sean May pick will really kil them.

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Ugh, thanks for the unpleasant memory of that Mavericks team. That was TRULY DEPRESSING basketball.

That was the year rookie Jim Jackson HELD OUT almost the ENTIRE season and screwed them over.

They actually beat the 2nd seed Rockets last game of the season. Was pissed :mad:

{For fun: Then Mavericks following year only won 13 games WITH Jamal Mashburn and Jim Jackson the full season, thats probably even sadder. Or, it was tanking for Jason Kidd the following year .... They still only got marginally better, and there was big friction between them all because of a love triangle over Toni Braxton supposedly. Causing them the break up the team. What a mess)

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jordan getting Rich Cho was a stud move.

They might be closer to real contention than the Rockets, who refuse to tank.

8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i was just looking at hollinger's power rankings the other day and noticed what a horrendous point differential they had. and that was before they lost by 31 to a bulls team without rose. that whole "we're running the offense through corey maggette" thing somehow did not portend good things.

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I just realized Eddie Najera plays for them lol
    I thought he disappeared

10. jdh008

jdh008 Member

In other words, this season is going according to plan for the Bobcats. Try as they might to sell us on the fact that they really thought Corey Maggette was an elite player, you could tell that they were going into the season knowing that they were going to be really bad.

11. Carl Herrera

I think Rich Cho does. Not sure if MJ does.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They should have picked up Lin.

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

MJ did say that he needed to get bad to actually be good, rather than mediocre when he traded away Wallace for an expiring and 2 first rounders.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If Michael Jordan suited up, they might have won a couple more games.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And Stern was catching cold every time Jordan sneezed.

Jordan turns around and gives Charlotte this team.