1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case Keenum - Gruden's QB Camp

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Victorious, May 2, 2012.

1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Well, the good thing is that Kubiak always carries 3 QBs so Keenum should make the roster for sure.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I don't see Keenum getting the 3rd spot without some competition. I think we will bring someone in to compete.

3. mokalus

mokalus Member

4. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I can see him making the squad with his mental makeup just like T.J. Yates last year. Kubes likes guys who are mentally strong i.e. Ben Jones in this draft. He can work on their ability and has proven that.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Favorite quote...great video, who knows what the future holds. But he'll prepare and do what it takes to make the roster...

6. Big Dogzz

Big Dogzz Member

Kubiak doesn't necessarily always bring 3 QB's to the roster a la the year they had Schaub and Sage.

And the criticism of TJ Yates on this thread btw is ridiculous. It was a lockout yr and the guy STILL picked up the playbook enough to be ready. He won HUGE games for us and when the team's back was to the wall (enough so that his parents couldn't even watch) he went out and clinched a PLAYOFF BIRTH) against a playoff caliber team. Oh btw he was a rookie. THAT'S AN NFL CALIBER QUARTERBACK.

See majority of all other scenarios where the #1 QB goes down and the team didn't collapse.

Lastly TJ was our 3rd QB last yr bc he made our roster LEGITLY. If he had gotten cut or got placed on the Practice Squad he would have gotten picked up on another roster (or atleast the Texans thought so). Keenum will probably not have the same consideration around the league seeing as to how he didn't even get drafted so the Texans probably will feel safe placing him on Practice Squad. Whether he's NFL quality or not however will be up to him.

7. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Case talks about Drew Brees' size and Case is a hair taller. They both have almost identical combine numbers. Plus Keenum blew Brees' college numbers out the water and threw with much more accuracy and only 3 ints. to 43 TD's. While Brees had 12 ints and 26 td's. Yet Brees was rated the number 2 best qb in 2001 by the combine scouts and Case was rated 16th best QB this year. Amazing how stupid the scouts are. Too big a discrepancy to call it anything else.

9. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

you dont think that brees coming from the BIG10 had anything to do with it compared to keenum coming from Conference-USA

10. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Case did just fine against Big 10 competition in the bowl game.

I'm not sure the competition argument is a good one for QBs. For offensive and defensive linemen and safeties, etc, yeah.

But for quarterbacks? A lot of the time QBs will look good because they stood behind a great line and had some huge tight ends to throw to.

People were saying Case had a noodle arm...Gruden didn't seem to think so.

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

As Gutter just said he beat up a top twenty Penn State the last game of the season. He beat up UCLA completing 75% of his passes. In 2009 they beat a top ten ranked Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Mississippi State, led by a great passing by Case. That year they finished the season 10-4. The next year Case starts off the season winning the first 2 games and then gets hurt in in the first half of the UCLA game and the Cougars proceed to go 3-7 the rest of the season. The Next year they go 13-1 and would have beaten Southern Miss if the recievers wouldn't have dropped 10 passes. They basically had the same team from one year to the next. Case was the main reason they went 13-1. Keenum is a winner. He runs good and passes amazingly accurate. He knows how to win. That matters.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I think Yates displayed those qualities too really, more noticable than Schaub. The "field general" type attributes. I want to see Keenum do well too, but tough to discount Yates in favor of Keenum right off the bat.

In far lesser snaps, TJ Yates played as well as 1st round pick Andy Dalton. Some football show guys even said Kubiak tightened the reins TOO much on Yates (though we could see why in the Baltimore game). Its to say there was enough encouraging things Yates displayed to trust him to make plays with his arm.

One thing Keenum and Yates have in common, both are OLD coming in the league :) So maybe that oldness translate over for Keenum just as well.

13. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

eh hehehehehehehe

14. SevenMinuteAbs

Lol, he's slightly exceeded your expectations thus far...

Yeah, that one didn't quite pan out either..

It's funny seeing the replies from over a year ago.
    I'll admit, i wanted him to succeed, but i was skeptical.

But the real reason i stumbled upon this thread was looking for the Gruden QB camp vid of Case. Does anyone have it or know here i can find it? They seem to have taken it down everywhere.

15. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Many doubters eating crow.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Lol yep.

Mike Mayock is the only one that tells it like it is. Strengths to weaknesses.

He should have his own QB camp.

17. SevenMinuteAbs

MoesTavern19 might have to retire from clutchfans

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

IMO, what people(including myself) seem to be wrong about is the difficulty of playing the QB position. For my entire football watching lifetime, I was told over and over about how "QBs needs to be groomed", "they need to learn the playbook", "they need to learn to read defenses", "they need to adjust to NFL speed", etc. And David Carr getting pounded only reinforced that notion.

However, in recent years all these conventional wisdom have pretty much been totally erased by a slew of young QBs who were not high picks, didn't need much "grooming", and have tons of success. The game is changing, but fans perspective have not caught up.

That said, I still want the Texans to draft a QB high if said QB can become elite.

19. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

So are you gonna hung it up....?

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Too early, still needs to show up in the second half...