1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Thread to Restore Sanity

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by johnstarks, Oct 31, 2010.

1. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

This is a thread for people to talk about the team we have--not the team we fantasize about. It's also for people who recognize that, while there may be some glaring problems, we've still only played 3 games and we've played 6 quarters of good basketball in the Lakers and Nuggets games.

So if you want to talk about how you want Morey to read your post so he'll recognize the genius in your suggestion to trade Taylor for Melo that's fine, but do it in one of the dozens of knee jerk threads elsewhere in the GARM. This thread is for people who don't want to filter through the posts like "Fire Addlmen!!!" or "Trade Yao!" or "Morey's an idiot for using nummers and I failed algerbrar so I don't trust em nummers"

My take is that the Rockets are two different teams with Yao on the floor and without. That's why we're able to put together 3 quarters, but not a full game of good basketball (remember Yao is limited to 3/4 of his normal minutes). It's also why the Warriors put up 132 points on us when he was sitting. The Rockets have an identity when Yao is on the floor. They just need to develop a different one when he's on the bench.

1 person likes this.
  2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Oh good. I still feel like we can go 79-3.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Does anyone else feel a John Starks thread increases sanity?

dude, you really need to change your moniker.

4. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

John Starks is a Houston legend who was a key player in the Rockets' first championship. Without his shooting in game 7, the Rockets never would have won the game.

So, I think it is a perfectly reasonable moniker for a Rockets fan. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Good thing this was official, otherwise it wouldn't have worked!

2 people like this.
  6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I agree with the OP, in past rockets seasons our team has rarely had the same identity at the end of the season that it had at the beginning. This is a tough start for sure, but starts like this are the reason why I'm such a fan of basketball. We all know that the Rockets are better than this and when they show it this losing streak will make all of our victories that much more sweet. I'm not saying I think we will win it all but i def think second round or conference final appearances are in our future.

7. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

Is there any reason why you didn't mention the Warriors loss OP? ;)

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lets wait till after 15 games to see where we are at. All teams play extremely hard in the first 3-4 games of the season. After we get through the first week or the first couple of weeks things calm down guys are back in the groove then you truly see where you at and where you are going. I'm ticked off about the first 3 games... extremely ticked but i have watched enough NBA basketball to know and understand that this is not the end of the season. We still have a legit shot to win the championship. We have the players and the players know that it's up to them to do what they got to do to step up and play to the level and intensity needed to reach to that elite level. A lot of us are emotional and that is understandable. Hell I'm emotional but deep down i still have a lot of faith in this team. There have been years where the Rockets start off #1 in the division and in the Western Conference but ended up seeding behind Dallas and San Antonio making it to the playoffs as a 5th or 6th seed. Not about how you start it's about how you finish!

9. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

We just have to figure out how we are going to play. We are the only team in the league that is having to monitor our superstar player's minutes. We brought in a lot of pieces to play around Yao but now its difficult to figure out roles and rotations with him in and out of the lineup. Then we gotta figure out where Damp is going to fit.

I have faith that Adelman will work those things out in due time. Ok, so we lost 3 games. We all KNEW we would lose around 35 this year anyway. So I don't see the big deal.

In about 2 weeks we will be back on track and all the 'knee-jerkers' will be applauding the team and coach. They will be back to posting about how we will contend this year...

10. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

No reason, I was just trying to pretend that it didn't happen by not mentioning it at all, hoping no one would notice our atrocious defense that game. ;)

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

It was a back to back game though.

12. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

I think the lack of continuity from Yao's minutes comes on defense and offense. When Yao is in, he helps take away post-play and bothers shots from people who beat their man off the dribble. As a result, perimeter defenders can play up on outside shooters more--taking away their 3 point shots. But, when Yao is out, it forces individual defenders to defend the penetration, so they can't be as aggressive. Miller and Hayes don't provide any shot-blocking deterrence so the other team just needs to beat their man and get in the lane to get a high percentage shot. So when Battier was mismatched by the speedy Ellis, he had to play really far off of him, preventing him from closing on the jump shot--where Battier really got burned.

On offense, when Yao comes out, as long as Scola is in, there's still a low post presence and the outside shooters can play off of him. But, since Scola plays mostly when Yao is in, when he comes out, we just have a bunch of perimeter offensive players w/ no low post presence. I wonder if the offense wouldn't bog down as much if Adelman can put Scola on the floor when Yao sits down.

13. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yao is a game changer, by adding him everyone has to change how they play. It takes time to adjust.

15. VanityHalfBlack

The Rockets are going to blow out the hornets next game.. I guarantee a 20 point win and everyone will be happy again...

16. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Ok, I will hold you to this guarantee.

17. brownxmas

brownxmas Member

The Rockets can turn it around. I'd still like to see a change in the starting line up and in the rotation, but I'll give them some time. I want the team to be strong at the end of the season and I'm prepared for some growing pains in the beginning. admittedly, for the first time this season, I yelled out "Stop Shooting Threes!" Hopefully that will not be a season long trend for me. oh and along with, What is chuck Hayes Doing out there? :confused: ! and Battier is getting roasted on D, what has he done for the offense...zero :( - Get him out of there! :eek: Rockets...still the best pro team in Houston sports. :p

18. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

the grizzlies started out 0-6 last year and ended up contending for a playoff spot, caviliers if i remember last year also started out 0-2 or 1-3, something like that and ended up in the playoffs.Not the end of the world. We could be the cowboys and our season woudl be over after 6 losses.

19. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

For reals. Most of you are acting like its the end of the world. Its just a game. Coming in here after a lose just makes it even worse with all the knee jerks thread. Clutch should look into making a sub forum for all those crap. I would actually like to be in the Barnes lottery instead of trying to sneak into the playoffs to be honest.

20. Btop

Btop Member

Great post I predict that the Rocket will win the next 10 games in a row then you guys will calm down save this post and quote me. 10 in a row