1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Patterson- Our PF of the future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedNation, Feb 12, 2012.

1. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I thought I would create a distraction to all the
    Lin
    threads so here it goes.

Patterson is a fan favorite here and many of us feel that he can develop into a very good player and perhaps a star. I did a sort of mini-comparison to 2 other star pfs: Kevin Garnett and Dirk Nowitzki. I compared some basic stats of these 3 players in the first 2 years of their career.

In their rookie year:

Name fg% ft fta ft% orb drb trb ast stl blk to pts
    Patterson 0.558 1.2 1.7 0.714 3.6 4.7 8.3 1.7 0.7 1.5 1.3 13.6
    Nowitzki 0.405 3.7 4.8 0.773 1.5 4.5 6.1 1.8 1.1 1 2.7 14.5
    Garnett 0.491 1.6 2.3 0.705 2.7 5.1 7.9 2.3 1.4 2.1 1.7 13.1
    These are per 36 stats btw because ppat doesn't get similar time because of Scola
    [​IMG]

As you can see, these 3 have very similar numbers across the board. He shot just as well, rebounded just as well (even better), assisted, blocked, and put up similar points.

Second Year

Name fg% ft fta ft% orb drb trb ast stl blk to pts
    Patterson 0.5 0.4 0.8 0.545 2.5 4 6.6 1.1 0.6 0.8 0.9 12.5
    Nowitzki 0.461 3.5 4.3 0.83 1.2 5.3 6.5 2.5 0.8 0.8 1.7 17.6
    Garnett 0.499 2.5 3.3 0.754 2.3 5.1 7.4 2.8 1.3 2 2.1 15.7

[​IMG]

This year is less representative because ppat has been injured much of this year and his numbers are down. Although his scoring is down (which is expected because he struggled with his shot earlier on and is just now getting it back) he is still rebounding well as compared to the other 2, turned it over less and still got similar defensive numbers.

In their first 2 years, ppat has put up similar numbers as these future hall of famers. Obviously, I'm not saying that ppat will be a hall of famer (he could be :grin:) but I am just pointing out similarities. Dirk ended up having a breakout year in his third year and garnett had his in his fourth year.

Once patterson develops a post game, he will be extremely hard to defend and from this year, it is clear that he is an above average defender. It is very possible that within the next two years, patterson goes off and establishes himself as one of the better pfs in the league. There is just one thing stopping him, LUIS SCOLA. I love the guy, but IMO he needs to be traded at the deadline just to open up space for pat. Scola plays absolutely NO defense at all and is doing the same thing as patterson this year, shooting jumpers. We do just as well if not better with patterson on the floor and I see no reason why we should keep Scola. If Morey trades away Scola, we might have our young pf breakout.

I am not very good with all these tables/charts/stats so if any of you experts have any complaints, I'm sorry ;)

Well, here is an optimistic distraction to
    Jeremy Lin

3 people like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Perfect timing for this thread as ppat checks in the game hitting 2 shots. :p

3. ThaShark316_28

I agree with him being our 4 of the future.

Gotta think that the post game will be worked on the in off-season.

4. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

So what does this mean for Jeremy Lin ?

5. ThaShark316_28

Fixed.

6. cod

cod Member

with the way the knicks pick is headed, this makes him the no.1 trade asset for a superstar.

7. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

i love patterson but don't understand why it seems many here want to trade him. for a superstar yes, for anything less, no.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I hope PPat develops into a great great PF but when comparing him to 1st and 2nd year KG and Dirk you have to remember that PPat is a few years older than both at the same stage of their careers.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thx for the jinx.

10. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I think he could already start over Scola and the Rockets would not miss a beat. Of course that is up to Morey and the coach to decide now.

11. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

He also has virtually nothing in common with either of them, except he is a power forward. I don't think I need to elaborate on that point.

12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

i believe ppat would be the better option to start.. i really hope scola gets traded... i like the guy and appreciate what he does for this new in the locker room... but he just isnt the same and he's holding ppat development back

13. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

I agree PPat is a force, we just need to give him the looks that Scola gets and let him show us his game.

Also I'm tired of constantly seeing scola give his man a free lane to the basket. Ship him out ASAP, and bring up MMorris and have him start over Parsons.

14. stefanb

stefanb Member

I hate to be the guy that says I told you so but...I told ya so. A lot of people, including myself on ClutchFans wanted the Rockets to draft Patsquatch. I'm glad to see his ankle is getting better. We have 2 shot blockers in the paint with him and Da Bear. Pat is an average size power forward but he plays like a 7 footer with speed. He has great footwork, a consistent jump shot, and he is so tenacious on the defensive end. Last but not least, he's smart. Plain and simple. He has the offensive and defensive IQ of a veteran. He has a great post game and he's just an all around player. He blocks those shots as if he was jumping to save someone from getting hit by a car. The dude is a team player and has a great attitude. Very mature player and that is extremely rare in the NBA these days. He'll be in this league for a long time. When it's Scola's time to go, he should be our starting PF. What more could you ask for? He blocked Blake Griffin power dunk. Sorry, I could go on and on about how good of a player Pat is and how great of a player he will become. Good night.

1 person likes this.
  15. freshstart

freshstart Member

Donatas Motiejunas

1 person likes this.
  16. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

people said the same thing last season, and no improvement.:(

17. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

He was receiving and recovering from knee surgery the entire offseason. Hard to improve when you can't get on the court.

18. Spooner

Spooner Member

We didn't have an offseason. Patterson also had surgery during the lockout. Give him a full offseason with McHale first before making this claim.

19. lr22

lr22 Member

In the future Motie will starts at four and PPat will backs up him.
    Really solid combination of O and D.

20. psingh34

psingh34 Member

ironic how you picked two star forwards that had to make some of the biggest adjustments their first two years in the league .. dirk coming over from germany and garnett coming from high school. Patrick is going to be a nice player but he is about as complete as he is going to get, those two guys had a whole bunch of ceiling they needed to cover during their first two years