1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Babin????

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Orange, Nov 27, 2012.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If he clears and he wants to, I'd absolutely take a chance on him.

2. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

This would be a huge pickup with Reed out for most of the regular season.

3. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Yup I would love to have him just not off the waiver wire

good thing were probably one of the last teams with a shot at him on the waiver wire so if he gets passed the waiver wire hopefully we can get him for relatively cheap.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Jason Babin is the definition of a one-trick pony. He has lived by the motto "sacks gets stacks" to the point of being a complete liability on the field in any situation where he's expected to do anything else. You could put Bryan Brahman in and sic him on the quarterback and do more damage than Babin could. No thanks.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Wouldn't want him, his ego would hurt the team.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I also would be surprised if a team claimed him off waivers. Half the league is out of the hunt. The top dogs are mostly capped out.

I could see Tampa Bay pulling the trigger, Seahawks as well. Bengals are the other possibility. All 3 have cap space (I believe - the NFL finances are always tough for me to track accurately) and all 3 are bubble teams at the moment.

If he clears waivers, the other aspect to consider is that he would naturally want to start. If we took him, we'd probably want him as a situational pass rusher, which few players like to hear.

Of course, given how ineffective our pass rush has been at the OLB spot, it's possible that we might be one of the more interested parties out there. Atlanta is set with their 4-3 ends. Ditto the Giants. Pack don't need him with Matthews there. Chicago, Colts, and 49ers are covered. Baltimore's a possibility (Upshaw's spot). So are the Patriots (Jones).

But this is a 26 tackle, 5.5 sack guy (season) we're talking about. Not an All-Pro (this year).

I'd definitely try him out if he clears waivers.

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I would be interested,..pass rush from the OLB position is everything...

8. Summer Song Giver

Noone will claim him, his price is too high, I'd like to have him for the minimum for passing downs.

9. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Plug Mercilus in for that. If anything Braman would also fit into that spot. No need for this guy unless we get him in here for the rest of the year for nothing and then let him go when the year is over.

10. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That would be the plan. No way Texans pluck him from the waver wire. We need depth in case we lose another OLB. And we need to find new ways to generate a pass rush that simply isn't there outside of Watt and Corner Blitzing.

11. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

I bet the pats get him

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im totally down...our OLBs have sucked this season as far as pass rush is concerned, even though Watt gets double and triple teamed. Completely inexcusable.

We need some help getting to the QB.

13. Relentless

Relentless Member

You guys talk about the money, it's 1.64 million left in salary for the season.

That is a chunk when there's only 5 games left.

14. MykTek

MykTek Member

I doubt the Texans will pick him up.... I remember reading that Kubiak never gave him a chance and released him and he was bitter about it.....

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

NE had one of their DE's suspended for 4 games, and Chandler Jones has ankle issues. BB won't have a problem coaching any personality if he can find a use for them on the field. I'd throw a low offer just to keep him off the rosters of another contender.

I hate to be a Babin apologist, but there's plenty of reasons why he sucked in Philly this year. They rotated all their DL, and neither he nor Trent Cole saw more than 70% of the snaps on a given week. This defense saw the kind of implosion on Castillo that was reminiscent of Wade's last year in Dallas.

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

we'll know by around 3pm CST if he cleared waivers

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

He's going to clear waivers, barring some owner/GM losing his mind by picking up that contract.

It's probably going to come down to who throws the most money at him after that. I don't think the Texans will. But Uncle Bob may be in Super Bowl or bust mode, so who knows.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I have a sinking feeling the Pats will get him, just in time for our MNF game.

They are predatory like that.

20. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Exactly, with Reed and Cushing out and Barwin having the year he's having I'd definitely try him out at the least to see if he's the right fit. I know he's having a down year but change of scenery, back on his old team, and a winning situation will motivate anyone.