1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Why poor defensive rotations are killing the Rockets (by Jeff Balke)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, this is Battier's fault.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Or no defensive rotation in Scola's case......and yes, they are over helping, even in situations where it's not needed. Unfortunately they're just trying to help out the guys who can't defend well, but not covering your own man isnt the way to do it. Dampier can't get here fast enough.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

yes, if he only played offense, then we could play offense for 48 mins and would never have to worry about playing defense!! 130-0, every night baby! Git r done morey!

5. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Dampier how cam from a poor defensive team won't make a difference rotation wise.

Just don't over help. protect the paint and contest shots. And especially don't allow open 3s. Stop trying to over help on superstars because they are letting scrubs wide open but even scrubs can make wide open shots. Stars will get there points, just don't let the scrubs have a career game.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Well written article, however count me as one of those people who think it has more to do with their mental and PHYSICAL limitations then not rotating over to help out. These guys haven't played defense since Yao went down, Artest left town and Shane lost his mojo. These guys haven't been, or will be, good defensive players no matter how much they work on team "D" mainly because they can't and don't want to, playing "D" is more about wanting to play then being able to.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nice article.

I think the fact that guys are all playing with so many different players and in varying spots is killing their rotations more than anything.

People need time to understand their role on offense and defense.....right now...guys are playing the 2, then the 3, then PF, then C...only the PG has remained consistend and AB is not good on defense.....

They need to put people in their spots and let them get comfortable...they will come around....hopefully.

FIVE STARS !

:grin:

DD

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Right. These aren't defensive players. JVG couldn't help them to get a stop.

I don't think Shane has lost his mojo, he just doesn't have any help.

9. Mr. Clutch

And let's stop playing Chuck Hayes too.

The best way to solve this problem (according to the GARM) is to give our 2 best defensive players 0 minutes.

10. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

WOW!!! I do not agree with almost anything in this article.

The reason rotating is a problem is because our guys are getting beat. Our guys arre getting bet because they are slow. So now we have to rotate more. In a league where athleticism prevails we have the slowest front line by far.

During the Rudy Tomjanovich era, the Rockets didn’t have the best athletes or even the best one-on-one defenders (a certain center excepted), but they played lock down defense. ... This statement is just wrong! We had the best defensive center in the history of the game! Mad Max was a lock down defender! Othis Thorpe was no slouch.

You can not compare that team to this team. We have the slowest front 3 in the league. YES! Yao, Scola and Battier are by far the slowest front 3 in the league.

Yao is slower than he has ever been. I suspect he will improve but right now he is slow. Scola is slower this year than last. And last year he was slow. Why do you think Landry was always in there in the 4th quarter. And Battier is just playing with brains these days not with talent. He is possibly in the top five of least talented starting sf's.

I think are team is one of the smarter teams in the league but we are one of the slowest teams in the league. People complain about Martin being a terrible defender but he is actually one of our better defenders. Yes that is not saying much because this team sucks defensively. But make no mistake about it we are not losing because we are so athletic we are losing because we are not!

#10 Old Man Rock, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  11. Mr. Clutch

1. How on earth can you say Kevin Martin is a good defender?

2. Battier and Hayes are two of our least athletic players, yet they are our best defenders by far.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't think that is what people are saying, they are saying that it is important to give more athletic guys those spots and teach them the rotations.

It is just as bad to be a dud on offense and a stud on defense as it is to be the opposite.

We need guys who are dual threats.

I understand the love for both of them, but I would like to see Battier and Hayes replaced with Cbud and Hill, for their varied skillsets.

Clearly Hayes and Battier are better on defense, but both Bud and Hill bring more on offense and a little different bit on defense, Bud with his better rebounding, and Hill with his shotblocking.

Either way....the team needs to get better on defense...

DD

13. redao

redao Member

Sorry to break this to you but we have the whitest team in NBA.

Morey, something in your model is not working.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You may have a point on the Hakeem teams, but I don't think the current Rockets are much slower than, say, the Juwan Howard era Rockets or even the Rockets in the 08/09 season, when 4 of the starters, Yao/Scola/Battier/Artest had 40 inches of vertical combined.

I agree Yao is definitely slower. Not sure about Scola. But I am not sure the defense looked all that great with better atheles Jordan Hill, Chuck Hayes or Courtney Lee (minus 30 lbs from last year) in the game in the place of the slower guys.

15. Mr. Clutch

Exactly. That was a heck of a defensive group right there. None can be described as "athletic." They are strong and smart, however.

16. AggieRocketsFan

The starting lineup has to include at least one more defensive player to get us more defensive minded... Whether it's Lee, Lowry, or Chuck we need to get it done.

Lowry/Martin/Battier/Scola/Yao

Brooks/Lee/Battier/Scola/Yao

Brooks/Martin/Battier/Hayes/Yao

Something has to be done... We have too many poor defenders on the court to start and finish the game. Also, any one of Brooks/Martin/Scola would be great weapons off the bench.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Ive been saying this for the past few days. Scola and Yao's inability to rotate defensively is killing this team. Hayes needs to start over Scola, or Hill over Yao. You cannot have such weak defensive guards without bigs who can rotate and cover for them. Its just not going to work.

18. alethios

alethios Member

Yes, good defensive rotation is a key element in a championship-caliber team, but how's that going to solve our stagnant, indecisive offense in the 4th quarter? We always seem to allow the opposing team to adjust to our offensive strategy in the 4th and shut us down, while we, having run out of gas, lose our defensive movement.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Awesome article. AB is not good on defense but neither was Kenny Smith.

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Watch the games and you will see. Martin is making the most athletic plays on defense. I am not saying he is good. I am saying he is much better than you claim and not the weak link. And he is doing a better job covering his man than Battier is covering his. Bud has been playing terrible on offense lately yet Adelman keeps him in the 4th. WHy because he is not that much worse on defense than Battier. Hayes is not a starter but even he has shown lapses on defense. Yeah he and Lee or 2 of our best defenders but neither is in the league of Ariza or Artest if you are talking about athleticism.

Watch the games. Don't just fall in the trap of reading everyone else's opinions on here.

We are slow. Battier is one of the smartest players in the league. He gets the most out of his talentless body. But make no mistake about almost ever night his outtalented. Hayes has a specialty of slapping the ball down low. he has strong hands and is able to do that several times a game. That is his number one attribute. But he can't jump he has average speed and he is a liability on offense. I can't wait for Patterson to beat him out. And mark my words he will.

Anyone who thinks we are more athletic than the 94 Rockets is out of there mind. I take no joy in saying these things. Hayes and Battier or 2 of my favorite players. But watch the games and you will see they are not helping us win games. They are part of the problem. I hope that changes.

1 person likes this.