1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now that the Rockets are down to 1 draft pick...

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by emjohn, Apr 11, 2012.

1. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

good point...I didnt even think about this.

Some guy was debating me that lowry + knicks pick (when it looked like it would be a lottery pick) wasnt worth moving into the top 5.

We could prob get anything with that outside of the no 1 pick...and then it gets iffy.

2. megastahr

but the good news is...it looks like we will have two picks now without getting the mavs pick :rolleyes:

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

That's not how it works at all. See my statement on the previous page.

4. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Pick vs Playoffs

Fantastic news...oh wait! That would mean no Rockets playoffs...obviously. :grin: So what would be best for the Rockets? Playoff experience and more money in Les's pocket for Rockets spending hopefully or another asset in this deep draft...deep being relative of course?
    I might be leaning towards pick unless we somehow get a pick via trade during draft day. 2013 draft class will be weaker in my opinion no matter how people view the 2012 as being strong or overrated. Rather let New Jersey get our pick then.

5. megastahr

I honestly dont know what to do any more... I am cheering for the knicks to loose to get a better pick they win...I cheering for the mavs to win ( to get our pick) they loose...I am cheering for the rockets to keep winning the loose.

The rockets are cursed. We must have exhausted all our luck with the yao ming pick. Because we literally have the worst thing possible happen every year.

We could acquire the wizards no 1 pick next year and they would go to make the play offs or something.

6. megastahr

still other teams have their reasons for trading. The point is if Wallace could net a top 5 pick from nets then...lowry + mid range pick could net us more.

Lowry himself is worth more.

7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

He didn't net them a top 5 pick; he netted them a pick with potential to be top 5 pick, but at this point in time, it's unlikely. The indeterminate state of the pick lowers its value. Like Bima said, it will most likely be around 7-10, which is still a great move for trading Wallace. I'd say the most we could net Lowry for is a guaranteed 4th pick (and that's probably with a filler) depending on what team selects there.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Edit: Never mind.

9. megastahr

Yah potential...and at the time pretty good chance of that. Plus a top 4 pick for just lowry...then throw in our knicks pick...you dont think that moves us up at all?

10. arjun

arjun Member

i wish we could SOMEHOW steal two top 10 picks in the draft.

it would change the complexion of our team and we would finally have some direction.
    i wouldn't mind drafting beal to play the 2 and then being lucky enough to grab a kidd-gilchrist?? haha..i can dream right?

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I just wanted to note out there, that just because Kevin Martin, Kyle Lowry, & even Scola have the "value" of a top lottery pick in trade, doesn't mean that there is a willing buyer out there.

There really just has to be that right team that is in a situation like the Rockets were when they traded their lottery pick for Battier.

Now, with the NBA being so heavily infested with teams openly tanking, I dont think your going to find too many teams looking to infuse veteran talent around their already existing up and coming young talent.