1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Why Kyle Lowry could become the next Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. superchinees

superchinees Member

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Great read Clutch.

I wouldn't trade Lowry for anyone less than a Star like Paul. Definitely not for Granger or Nene.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does that mean if we get Chris Paul, he'll get #3!;)

5. dballa76

dballa76 Member

Nice article.. I hope Lowry isn't traded though.. He needs to stick around unless we can get a superstar in return.. I like the good old days when teams kept a somewhat familiar look for at least some time frame...

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, who is the next Goran Dragic?

Anyway, great info about Deron Williams. I wonder if the Rockets go after Deron again if he hasn't signed an extension by the middle of next season yet.

I do think Lowry and Williams can play a good chunk of minutes together, though. They are both big enough to check some of the 2s in the league. Besides, the Lowry/Brooks worked when Brooks wasn't struggling and there was the right matchup. Also, if Lowry wasn't in the package for Williams, one would imagine that either Martin or Lee or Budinger (or maybe 2 or 3 of these) would be so there would be some wing minutes opened up.

7. worzel gummidge

Is CPknee damaged goods though? If he isn't he could be that moneyball player who's undervalued because of injury.

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

A good point, Lowry, Scola, and a pick for CP3. I think we need a higher pick in a trade for a superstar.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

I am scared as hell that CP3 turns into Brandon Roy with his knees. I'd go all in for Deron Williams without hesitation though, as our chances at Dwight Howard goes through the roof with him.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Clutch, I'm really curious about our dealings with Utah. Mostly, I was curious how Sacramento was playing a part in it? Just from guess work, it appeared we might be landing Cousins with Deron going to SAC, but that doesn't make a lot of sense basketball wise.

I know that piece of gossip was only listed in one place... from the article, you seem to be suggesting that SAC wasn't involved and the Rockets wanted DW for themselves?

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If we move some of our best players for a "superstar" caliber guy, I just hope he's the poster boy for a healthy NBA "superstar." I'm beyond sick and tired of the uncertainty that's surrounded the Rockets for the last several seasons with McGrady and Yao. That's a big reason to get Williams over Paul, unless Paul's knees are as clean as Martha Stewart's kitchen. Sadly, Williams is camping out in New Jersey. Whoever Morey ends up getting, and I remain convinced that he'll eventually get someone who fits the "superstar" bill, he better be one healthy S.O.B., with a great history of staying that way. Of course, someone like Martin (who's not a "superstar" player, but is a star player, never the less) is a good gamble, because his injuries were flukes, and while painful and causing him to miss games, not really serious.

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Thanks clutch.

Wow, had no idea the Rockets were in the mix to acquire D Williams, Of Course you have to pull the trigger on a deal for him.

Call me crazy, but I'm not sure (not saying no for sure) I include Lowry in a deal for Paul. My reasoning behind this, is watching him this year, he looks disinterested. Is Paul playing hurt? Probably, and/or does he just want to be on a team with a couple more stars, like the knicks?Paul is a great great talent, top one or two point guards in the league, defineitly a max guy but acquiring him, I believe is beyond risky. I think Paul wants too go east, I also think his health is a big question mark.

I would still make a play for Williams if possible, and I agree with Carl that you could play them together.

I don't think Lowry's game will come back down to Earth, except for possibly his 3pt % coming down. I think his production to salary ratio is going too be tough to beat.

Still, attracting superstar talent, usually takes having superstar talent on the team, so it's a tough situation. Or is it?

#12 mikol13, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The one big difference between Lowry and Brooks is that Lowry already IS that player we need to make ourselves championship worthy.

Defense? Check.
    Court vision? Check.
    Shooting? ...Check!

I was always leery of Brooks because like most true fans I could tell that his contributions in totality to this team were being overstated by the offensive numbers alone. Ergo, his defense was costing us just as much as his offense was helping. But Lowry has potential to become the next Billups, not the next Brooks. Give him an entire year next year with a usage over 20 and his PER will shoot up, maybe past 20. This guy is someone you build around.

Now if it were to get a Chris Paul...that would be a very difficult decision, but ultimately one that you would have to agree to given the potential ramifications of bringing in subsequent all-stars once Paul is in tow. Like others have said though, you would need to be assured of two things: 1. his desire to REMAIN here, and 2. his health. So in the interim, I'm more inclined to throw in my chips with Lowry.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Interesting info. Thanks!

I'd take CP3 over Dwill though, but thats just me.

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm betting against the Rockets trading Lowry. He'd be on the first bus out if the Magic wanted him in a trade for Howard, but I don't think that'll happen. He's so much more valuable than anyone that you could trade him for straight up that I don't see that happening. And he seems to like it in Houston. I think they would have kept Brooks if he were happy here.

16. eman

eman Contributing Member

I'd rather get Cousins. Team him, once again, with Patsquatch. Chuck can back them both up, and keep them in line. Maybe player/coaches Battier and Ming will help Chuck with turning Cousins into a model citizen.

We're pretty solid at the point. We need a young, healthy, tall, athletic post at both ends. So I'd say Scola, Hill, and pick(s) for Cousins. Or whatever it takes-- just don't lose Courtney Lee!

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

A couple of things:

(1) Any trade for Paul or Williams would almost HAVE to include Kyle Lowry. Neither New Orleans nor New Jersey will likely have their own pick (including NJ's own lottery pick, which went to Utah), so replacing their star PG with a top 2011 draft pick is not an option. And do those teams really want to go with Jared Jack and Jordan Farmar as their respective starting PGs? I didn't think so. Lowry would--at the very least--make for a decent "stop gap" starting PG for those organizations. At a reasonable salary, he also wouldn't adversely affect those teams' rebuilding efforts, cap-wise.

(2) Good luck prying Deron Williams out of New Jersey, fellas! I seriously doubt that Prokhorov lets Williams "Melo" his way out of New Jersey, especially after the Nets' owner was victimized in the whole MeloDrama. I think Prokhorov plays hardball with Williams, knowing that he will be able to offer Deron the most money and will not agree to a sign-and-trade deal. (By the way, I am almost positive that the new CBA will carry over terms allowing teams to offer their own free agents more than any other team.) While Lowry might make for an attractive piece in a trade package for New Jersey, I just don't see Deron Williams being traded unless Prokhorov is the one dictating the terms from the outset.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm not betting either way. I love Lowry. But if he could be used to get Paul or DWill, that puts us in another dimension. They are better than he is. The only question is how much better.

Here is my short list of superstar talent that may be aquirable during the next 12 months that would be worth going after.

1. Paul
    2. Deron Williams
    3. Ricky Rubio
    4. Kevin Love
    5. Kyrie Irving
    6. Derrick Williams

Lowry and Scola are probably our two highest valued trade assets. Both of them coming off BYC, and very productive for the money they are being paid, both are gamers that play dinged and they bring it every night at a high level. But they're tradable for an upgrade.

19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

His 3 point shooting is seriously becoming very dangerous for opponents.

As the game gets tougher to play, he turns on his turbo booster and scores in flashes.

I hope he continues to develop into a real superstar, he has the potential.

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If trading Lowry is what it takes to get a superstar, sign me up!