1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Friedman]We've Got Your Big Boy Pants Right Here - Greg Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haoafu, Dec 5, 2012.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/weve-got-your-big-boy-pants-right-here

.. ...We've Got Your Big Boy Pants Right Here
    December 05, 2012 1:24 am EST
    Greg Smith's career-night helps lead Houston to thrilling 107-105 win over Lakers

Jason Friedman
    Rockets.com

HOUSTON - The Lakers spent Tuesday night in a desperate – and ultimately futile – search for their big boy pants. As for Greg Smith and the Rockets, they came away feeling cozy, comfy and right at home thanks to a great set of genes.

Riding a career-high night from their second-year center and a massive boost from fellow reserves Carlos Delfino and Toney Douglas, Houston committed grand larceny while overcoming a 17-point second-half deficit to stun the Lakers 107-105. Houston’s bench was critical to the comeback on the night when the club’s starters simply couldn’t shoot straight, outscoring Los Angeles’ second unit 59-20. And no player was bigger down the stretch for the Rockets, both literally and figuratively, than the 6-10, 250 pound Smith who poured in 13 of his career-high 21 points in the decisive fourth quarter.

“Greg is just country ox strong,” said Rockets acting head coach Kelvin Sampson after the game. “That’s just an ox strong kid. The good Lord gave him some great genes and you can’t move him.”

In many ways, Tuesday’s tilt was a coming out party of sorts for the 21-year-old with catcher’s mitts for hands, as he more than held his own against the game’s preeminent big man, Dwight Howard, all while devouring nine rebounds (four on the offensive end) to go along with his career-high point total – all in just a little more than 24 minutes of work.

But make no mistake; this sort of performance from Smith has been on the horizon for quite some time. The Fresno State product has made the most of his limited minutes this season and actually leads the Rockets in Player Efficiency Rating. He’s been an absolute beast on the offensive glass, a superb finisher around the rim and his defense against the pick-and-roll has been outstanding.

To be sure, he’s still very raw in so many ways and still has a long way to go – what 21-year-old doesn’t? But what’s been most impressive of all when it comes to Smith’s development is just how far he’s already come since arriving in Houston as a fresh-faced, green-as-can-be rookie back in February.

“Greg’s kind of a pet project,” said Sampson, when asked about Smith’s growth. “We’ve put a lot of time in with Greg. The guy who showed up (in February) didn’t know whether he was on foot or horseback. He was just here. I’m not even sure he knew what the D-League was. He sure didn’t know where it was.”

Navigationally-challenged or not, Smith so resoundingly dominated the D-League during his time with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers that he made it impossible to ignore the potential inherent within his massive frame. With quality bigs so tough to come by, so the Rockets had little to lose in rolling the dice and continuing to work with the undrafted rookie. And Smith was savvy enough to take a look around and grasp the key that lies at the heart of any sort of sustained success. He saw Luis Scola and Patrick Patterson working to the point of exhaustion every day in an effort to improve. He watched Chandler Parsons go from second-round anonymity to starter and that Parsons’ response to that promotion was to work even harder.

The light bulb came on at that moment for Smith, as it does for all young players who come face to face with the realization that God-given talent can only take you so far. So when last season ended, Smith said sayonara to summer vacation and made the Toyota Center practice court his home, putting those great genes to work in an effort to get stronger, quicker, smarter and more skilled. To get better. All in an effort to ensure he would be ready when called upon; to not just contribute but to be a difference maker when his team needed him most.

“We were here all summer,” said Smith, recalling the offseason’s worth of work that made this moment possible. “When the season ended, we were off for a week and then got right back to it. After today, it feels good that I did that. I could have gone, been with family, working out still but … here, with the coaches, you know what they want and … after today I feel like that was the best decision of my life that I did that.

“All along I knew I had it in me. The coaches knew I had it in me, too; they had confidence in me. So I knew, back then, that if I had a chance to get in the game … and get that one moment, I’d go out there and take it as much as I can and I did that tonight.”

Did he ever. Greg Smith went toe-to-toe with the game’s best on the big stage and emerged with a performance and win he will never forget. So let the Lakers keep looking for their big boy pants. Tuesday night belonged to the great genes – and hard work – of Greg Smith.

Click the link to read the quotes and rest of the article.

#1 haoafu, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Greg Smith is a very intriguing young player. As are Motiejunas and Terrence Jones. The problem is that the Rockets seem to be overloaded with such players. I hate to give any of them up, but we'll probably have to in pursuit of a more balanced, championship-caliber team.

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Smith is least likely to leave in my opinion. He is already getting minutes, he is young and he is our back up center.

Some of our PFs will probably be traded for sure. Not including Royce White (who may or may not ever join us), we have 4 guys playing PFs including Morris.

4. haoafu

I think we might see Morey trading out capable players with expiring contracts(Delfino, Aldrich, Douglas...) for draft picks near trade deadline. It'll make rooms for young players with potential to play, and it's the similar strategy Presti was employing in last few seasons.

I don't see we can be real contender with additions like Jeffereson, Josh Smith, Aldridge..., while the powerhouses have Lebrone/Dwade, Kobe/Dwight, Durant/Westbrook...

Our chance should come a few years later, when our youngsters develop to stars, and Kobe/Lebron... are too old.

5. Jimes

Jimes Member

Where are the Smith-Delfino bromance pictures?

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Can you imagine...a 21 year old undrafted player from a small basketball college, all of a sudden on the floor with that crew? He not only did a great job numbers wise but he did an awesome job of not being intimidated.

7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Murray sure can find gems (assets) out of nowhere.

8. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

The big boy pants are, of course, pleated khakis.

1 person likes this.
  9. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Smith has always been intriguing since last season. He definitely has size and strength along with the ability to play above the rim. By working hard, he has improve a lot and he is impressive for a young 21 year old undrafted player.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

A wise man once told me that PER is a meaningless stat.

But seriously I'm happy for Greg Smith. And for the Rockets, as I think he'll be good for us.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I want Greg Smith to throw the ball like a grapefruit to start the break, then he would surpass all the expectations I have for him.

12. ashiin

ashiin Member

If he can become a 6'10 Chuck Hayes, I would be so happy.

13. haoafu

One thing interesting you may not know: According to draftexpress predraft measurement, Smith's combination of height, wingspan, reach, vertical and strength is very similar to the phisical freak of the recent draft: Drummond.

Phsically his weakness used to be quickness and agility, but looks like he's improved during the summer.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've been thinking the same thing. Rockets seem to be getting deep in the front court with average starter to good backup type players. I think with Harden locked up, I see the Rockets trying to unload some of these guys for a star. I don't think the Rockets care too much for which position they upgrade as they have a starter at every position.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the kid's game face and composure when he took those 2 freethrows.....reminded me of chucky brown's 2 FT's to end the utah series..

16. bucket

bucket Member

I think "Big Boy Pants" should be Greg Smith's new nickname. Maybe "Big Boy" for short.

17. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Great game by Smith. And he kept his composure. Hope he remains grounded and keeps improving!

18. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I miss Otis Smith.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Most stars, if not all, have the ability to play one on one and have go to moves. The exceptions are guys who are extremely gifted athletically or physically (lebron, shaq). I dont think Jones or Smith fit into either category. Donuts could fall into the first and maybe the second because his mobility and quickness for his height is unique. It'll be interesting to see who we keep, if any, since it'll all depend on what deals are on the table and not just their potential.

20. bucket

bucket Member

Thorpe?

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V0mD8JckVYg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V0mD8JckVYg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.