1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets Still Have "Room" For Improvement

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Feb 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

2. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Fun continues...

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Only a player like Granger would satisfy the masses.

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Thanks David. Great insight on the MLE. Perhaps we can add a vet off the bench for our playoff run. I am not a fan of Terry (obviously) but a 3 pt weapon off the bench using the MLE would be a great addition to the team as we strive for a championship.

5. basketballholic

According to Deeks, not only do the Rox have the Room MLE but this list of possible playoff contenders also have some portion of an exception:

Memphis - $4.615 million left of non-taxpayer MLE
    Memphis - $2.016 million Bi-Annual Exception
    Miami - $3.183 million Taxpayer MLE
    OKC - $5.150 million entire MLE
    OKC _ $2.016 million Bi-Annual Exception
    Indiana - $2.150 million of MLE
    Atlanta - $5.250 million disabled player exception
    Brooklyn - $5.250 million disabled player exception
    PHoenix - $2.652 million Room MLE
    Toronto - $2.016 Bi-Annual Exception

(I did not confirm if these are up to date.)

My concern is when some of these vets come free, they're going to have some choices besides just us. I'd love to see a buyout of Granger and him sign here but....there will likely be competition for his services.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

When I read the title I thought you were referring to internal improvement. But instead you are talking about financial flexibility to sign another player. Good info. Morey is so aware of everything.

I would add more importantly the Rockets have a lot of room for internal improvement within the players already on the squad. They have only recently begun to gel. Beverly and Lin have been out at various times and are only now learning there roles together and individually. Everyone is just learning to move the ball into Howard better and more frequently. harden is learning to trust others a little more. DMo has only been part of the real rotation a month and a half and is becoming the second most important player off the bench. Asik has finally returned and he is here to stay and in spite of all the media negativity he has shown a desire to contribute already.

Mchale even brought back the twin towers which I think is still an option for spurts. Are biggest weakness is a backup for Parsons and with the return of Garcia, the move of Casspi to the 3, the edition of Hamilton and the emergence of Covington in the DLeague someone has got to to help there.

There is still room for improvement across the board. McHale is even improving his rotations and coaching. This team will get better and they need to if they have any hope of beating OKC. Which is why I was leary of breaking them up even if it was for Rondo. And why more than any aquisition what happens with the guys we have may be the most telling. Of course we could always use a great three point shooter. ;)

7. treeman

treeman Member

Thanks for this. I completely forgot about the room MLE... It's like the $50 you forgot you had in your wallet when you're looking through your pockets for a few bucks to buy that last beer :grin:

8. NewAge

NewAge Member

Hmmmm. Doubtful. Don't most buyouts have an offset, so it would not matter to the player?

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Did not realize Miami and okc both still had more than we did. If those teams are actually willing to pay someone, they are obviously stronger options.

10. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Another round begins...

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I see what you did in the title.

12. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Good point....MLE could be key coming up here this week. I don't think Morey is done.

13. Pete the Cheat

It HAD to be OKC....still like our chances though

14. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Who are buyout candidates?
    Jason Terry
    Danny Granger
    Glen Davis
    Roger Mason
    Caron Butler
    Ben Gordon

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thanks for the explanation on the cap proration. Good tool to have but I guess it depends on the player's personal priorities. In particular, I wonder how many minutes this team has to offer each of the potentially bought out players.

Will any of the bigs get minutes from Howard, Asik, Jones and DMo? Will any bought out PG get minutes from Beverley and Lin? An SF/SG type probably has most potential opening for minutes but they still gotta beat out Garcia, Lin (he plays some 2s) and maybe Hamilton or Casspi for backup 2/3 minutes.

I have no doubt that Morey would pay the right guy even just to be insurance (he did with AB last season) but guys might gravitate more toward teams with more potential minutes.

16. verysimplejason

I'd like Terry for 6th man role... He's a bulk scorer from the bench. At least it's not all JLIN anymore.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

He's not the same guy

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

It has to be a true SF to backup Parsons. I would hate to see another PF brought in to stunt TJones/DMo's development.

I still don't think we're ready to contend for a title this year. We need to develop our young talent and hope they can attract a team like Minny so we can snag Kevin Love.

But having them rot on the bench because Glen Davis stole their minutes would be terrible.

19. Kerdaboy

Kerdaboy Member

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot options or soon to be available option to use the exception on though. Seems like a reasonable need we have is to get some better 3 pt shooting (I believe we are like 1 or 2 in attempts but something like 20th in %).

If Granger or Terry get become available, both are on the decline and have been terrible this year.

20. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Would love Granger in a Rockets uniform taking the place of Casspi, and being the wing off the bench with garcia.