1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Keep an eye on Deron Williams, because the Rockets sure will

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Would you trade Kyle Lowry (+ more) for Deron Williams?

1. YES

312 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. NO

338 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Also how can the Rockets compete with the Lakers offering Bynum for Dwight ?

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I'm not content with trading Lowry for Williams and the possibility of getting Howard.

I feel like to make trading Lowry worth the value, we have to get Williams and maybe an 80% chance of landing Dwight in return.

Williams older than Lowry, but not currently playing better than him at all. He is also payed much more than Lowry.

Seems like to make this deal work we have to know for sure whether Dwight will be remotely interested in Houston if Williams comes over.

3. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

As much as I would love to have Howard on the team, I don't think he's very smart about the possibilities of trades. He added the Clippers to his list of desired destinations. But there is absolutely nothing the Clippers could give Orlando in a fair trade, unless they send back either Griffin or Paul. I'm pretty sure that's not what Howard has in mind.

It's a long shot for us to trade for Howard, too, but better than the Clips. With Lowry high and DWill low, we'd send them something like Lowry + Scola. For Howard, we'd send them Martin + Morris + PatPat plus all the picks we can find. Our most likely competitors would be the Lakers, Dallas, and NJ themselves. Dallas can pretty much only offer Beaubois (whose stock has dropped) + some old veterans. LA can offer Bynum, which is relatively close to our offer. If they offer both Bynum + Gasol, that should beat our offer.

4. anchel

anchel Member

Being a huge fan of Kyle, of course I would change him for Williams. But I highly doubt he's available even if Howard is not traded by the deadline. The Nets and Deron would try to convince him to sign with them at the free agency. Howard has expressed already that it is his favourite destiny, of course this could change, but if you are the Nets you keep believing that you can get him in the summer -with the help of Deron-.

A possible scenario it could be: the Lakers getting Dwight at the same time that we get Pau, and then try to get Deron (because then he would be available).

5. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

Bosh is overrated. We'd be giving too much for him.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not all that bad an idea. Of course, if you trade Scola as part of the deal to get Williams, then you don't have Scola to trade to Miami.

Also, as overpaid as Bosh can seem in Miami, and as good a fit as Scola might be in Miami, Bosh is still clearly the better player.

Also, you'd like to keep Dalembert in that scenario, because otherwise you really aren't that good.

But, to play it out, assuming Lowry, Martin, Scola, Budinger, Morris, Hill and draft picks are traded for Deron Williams and Chris Bosh, you're lineup of

Williams, Lee, Parsons, Bosh, Dalembert
    Dragic, Williams, [ ], Patterson, Thabeet

isn't horrible. solid starting five. ridiculously bad bench. you could get better in the offseason.

but not a Deron/Howard combo, that's for sure.

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

NJ is on the short list of teams Dwight has said he wants to play for because of Deron Williams. The Nets are only willing to trade Williams if they don't land Dwight (probable with Lopez's injury) because Deron may not re-sign with them. The rockets would be bringing Deron in, hoping that Dwight signs in free agency with the rockets. At least that's how I see it. Dwight would probably see Deron Williams and Kevin Martin as a good #2 and #3 guy to compliment him.

We can argue about impact all day but anyone that argues that Williams doesn't have significantly more of a star reputation is insane.

I'll admit, I'd much rather Lowry show he can lead a team to the playoffs or be recognized by coaches/fans as an all-star. A star that can attract other stars, on a mid-level type contract, would be awesome.

8. Asian Sensation

So you're content with us hovering around .500?

How are we going to become a contender again if we don't make that move and give us a chance at least?

Are we going to rebuild through the draft with another pick outside the top 8 (highly likely)? Are we going to magically trade our assests for some other superstar? Is there a superstar FA out there that's just dying to play for the Rockets at our current state that none of us are aware of? Are the rest of our current players going to become beastly like Lowry and play out of their minds?

When we had Olajuwon it was easier to get Drexler. When we had Olajuwon and Drexler it made it that much easier to get Barkley. When we had Olajuwon and Barkley it made it attracted Pippen.

Superstars attract other Superstars.

9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Obviously I'd like to acquire Howard but the reality of this matter is that we do not have the assets to acquire Howard. I think if Bosh was teamed up with a great PG like D.Will bosh would be just fine. He is a very talented player even if he is a bit overrated. Look at how Boozers career flourished with D.Will..........

10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

If Dwight Howard is the ultimate by trading for Williams, this will likely fail. Why would Howard want to come to Houston and play along Williams when he can go to the Clippers and play along side Griffin AND Paul?

11. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

And please explain how that could happen...

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Both Williams and Howard have player options for next season. If they both exercise those options to stay in Houston next year, ala CP3 with the Clippers, getting either would make more sense. However, there's no assurance that we could get Howard if we acquire Williams. In my opinion, we would need to insure we're getting Howard if we get Williams, and that they would exercise those options to stay at least next season with the Rockets, or else the Rockets should look for another deal(s).

Last year, several teams ended up twiddling their thumbs instead of getting the players they had hoped to get. We were one of them. Let's not go through that again.

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Ask the Heat. Three max salaries and a bunch of minimums.

14. Asian Sensation

Please tell me how the Clippers are going to trade for Howard while keeping Griffin AND Paul.

Then tell me how the Clippers are going to pay Griffin the max next year.

Didn't we have the lockout because of scenarios like the above?

15. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

if any of these moves went down, david stern would hate on it.

16. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Since the Rockets are refusing to completely rebuild, I would do it. I like Lowry, but, like Morey always says, he's an asset...an expendable one at that. It's a pretty big risk, but I'm assuming that DWill would have to agree to exercise his player option for 2012-13 before being traded so that it's not just a rental. Then you would have to hope Dwight can be signed during free agency, because Houston won't have enough attractive pieces to trade for him. Subsequently, the vets will come to Houston and play for less than market value. Thus, a championship contender emerges. I'd much rather take that risk than continue on the mediocrity treadmill.

17. dingus

dingus Member

Go check out the random trades thread. I posted this exact topic 3-4 days ago. Coincidence?

18. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Idiot...Heat's situation was a lot different. They barely had anyone under contract. The Clippers still have their players under contract...please shut up.

19. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

To do this deal, it has to be done right at deadline day after the Rocket see that Howard is out of play for trade. This assures the Rockets that Howard cannot go to the Lakers for a Bynum swap or to NJ in free agency.

Then in the summer we would have to have enough cap to sign Dwight outright to leverage the Magic to do a SnT to get him his max possible raises.

The only trouble I see for the Rockets is the Mavapricks. If they can entice Williams to leave in free agency to join Nowitzki they can get Howard too. I'm assuming if we get Williams we get his birds rights' as well? If so we'd be in the driver seat. The key is however to do the trade right at deadline when its seen that Howard is staying on the Magic this season

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Love Lowry... but we've got to get this thing on the right track again. Give me opportunity...

What's the quote? I'd rather die standing than living on my knees? Clutchfans -- we've been leaving on our knees for too long now. Lets get back on our feet.