1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers, Knicks Express Interest in Flynn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by torque, Feb 6, 2012.

1. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What can we get for him? Balkman + Bibby...yuck.

The New York Knicks and Los Angeles Lakers have contacted the Houston Rockets about acquiring Jonny Flynn, according to league sources.

No deal is imminent with either team, but both clubs are in desperate need of a point guard and have Flynn on their radar.

The Knicks have shown the most interest, sources say, and discussed a possible deal involving Renaldo Balkman and Mike Bibby. The Rockets were not interested.

Bibby, who was signed as a free agent before the season, can't be traded before March 1.

In addition to inquiring about Flynn, the Lakers have also shown interest in free agent Gilbert Arenas and Cleveland's Ramon Sessions.

Flynn, a 2009 lottery pick out of Syracuse, is the third-string point guard in Houston, where he backs up Kyle Lowry and Goran Dragic.

Flynn averaged 13.5 points and 4.4 assists as a rookie in Minnesota but has struggled since injuring his hip in his second season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7...s-eye-houston-rockets-jonny-flynn-sources-say

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Flynn for Lin

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

"league sources" = Rocket sources.

4. arjun

arjun Member

hahah

5. Prince

Prince Member

Lakers first round.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Flynn to NY for the restriction removed from this year's 1st round pick, make it unfettered and they can have him.

DD

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

That's actually an intriguing idea.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Talk about desperate.(!)

9. ruhroh

ruhroh Member

Seconded. Or the pick that they have from the mavs. Talk about getting something for nothing. We're letting Flynn go this year lol.

10. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Bingo!

11. torque

Supporting Member

That was my first thought as well. Don't think NY would go for that though. If we could get LA's first rounder that'd be nice.

12. thething

thething Contributing Member

That's a longshot that they would get a top 5 pick. Wait till the deadline on that one when we have more information on it.

13. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Flynn for Douglas?? Idk

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Flynn and Thabust for Metta and a their 1st. I don't care if he's garbage he needs to be in Houston!

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If you read Bima's <a href="http://rockets.clutchfans.net/2316/houston-rockets-salary-cap-update/">Rockets salary cap update</a>, you can see how two first rounders (which they potentially have) has an impact on cap room. Adding a third late first rounder (guaranteed salary) may not be the best thing for the team, especially when you consider they are probably bringing Motiejunas over next season. (Of course, I would anticipate you'd be able to trade even late first round picks fairly easily.)

Maybe I'm guessing wrong on his value, but I'd say more likely the Rockets would be lucky to get a second round pick for Flynn.

Broussard's report reads like a Rockets fishing column... reminds me of Woj's "Rockets willing to trade Yao but not liking their offers yet" article last year.

16. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

scola, thabeet, and flynn for pau gasol

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I loved Ron too, but not at the cost of $7.2M in cap room. BTW, guy is shooting 33.3% and 16.7% (8 of 48!) from three-point range this year. He's done.

(sorry if I took your post too seriously :))

18. torque

Supporting Member

Except for the article saying the Knicks offered Balkman and Bibby...journalists can't just make that stuff up. (Unless they work for NY Post).

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Don't want to take on salaries to trade Flynn

Though it'd be nice to have RonRon back so Scola doesn't get bullied in the league.

20. faraza84

faraza84 Member

With 3 potential first rounders it could make moving up in the draft easier. I'd take a lakers first and add another 09 bust