1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets Playbook: The Primary Baseline Out of Bounds Set

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Oct 30, 2013.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

2. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Great job with this, Jonas. I especially love the video and how you were able to find so many instances where this same set is run. I learned a lot watching that and from the breakdown.

4. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Nice analysis! Would love to get your take on the BLOB alley oop to Greg Smith we saw in the preseason. Not sure how similar it was to the one you broke down. They had Greg setting a screen near the inbound passer to start the play. Then he did a quick roll out to the FT line and came in for the alley oop. I couldn't find any video, but I was impressed with that set also.

1 person likes this.
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Awesome write up!

Thanks!

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This is why Clutchfans is the best website in basketball. Very educational and insightful. Great job.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good, informative break down. Much appreciated, and I learned from it.

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Much was learned after reading this.

9. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

That was a cool analysis is to read. Nice job.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

So many great plays coming out of the BOB. Thanks Jonas.

11. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Love this stuff. Thanks.

12. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

Interchangeable assets!

13. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

14. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

HMMHMM, it would be nice to show how to defend this type of plays. I assume other teams will have similar plays too.

1 person likes this.
  15. Convictedstupid

This is great, brother.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Cool, I'm really looking forward to these this season. Thanks.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This is WRONG. The KMac Rox run no sets.

Beautiful.

Beautifully put together.

Here's to JVG's prediction. I love a Parade!

18. j3i

j3i Member

The best kind of content on this forum. Thanks!

19. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Thanks guys. Glad you like it. Dave (Clutch) was of great assistance to me, editing the images and helping me out/given me feedback with some of the breakdown.

Now that it's been posted, I sorta wish I had mentioned that you may see the Rockets incorporate a wrinkle to get Dwight open for a dunk every now and then, similar to what the Lakes had success with last year out of essentially the same action -- only out of their half-court offense, rather than from baseline out of bounds.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wXaiFOZ1dVU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I didn't really know where to fit in there and thought it may be too much material, etc... and Dave had already done so much editing, so I just ended up leaving it out.
    Who knows, maybe the Rockets don't actually incorporate this sort of wrinkle.... but don't be surprised if they do.

Well.. if it's someone Ronnie Brewer coming off that pin-down, you obviously go under that screen 100/100 and make him hit a jumper. If it's Kyle Korver or Kevin Martin, even, you go over and make them put it on the floor.
    If you have wing players with similar height/size and defensive capabilities, you may want to switch some of those screens.
    Denying certain players the ball and making the offense go to less often used and thus maybe not quite as "fluid" progressions may work quite well against certain teams... it really depends on the personnel/team you're going up against. Do you have guys you can can trust to protect the rim when channeling guys towards the hoop? Does the opposing team have guys you can help off from? Etc.

Yes. I logged that play. First time I've seen the Rockets run it.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oaLgYCeu-FY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Starts out in a box alignment. Brooks fakes to screen D-Mo, then runs through the "Elevator Door" by Smith and Canaan, after which Canaan immediately screens Greg Smith's man. Smith curls to the basket... and the inbounder (Brewer?) lobs it to him for the dunk.

I believe that play came after a timeout and I'm pretty sure the Rockets don't start off any of their normal BOB plays in a box alignment, so I would guess it's just something McHale drew up in the huddle. I wouldn't be surprised though if we see it again.

#19 HMMMHMM, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  20. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

good points. defender needs to be very smart to know instantly what he has to do.