1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Derrick Williams falling into that bust category?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MambaJoe, Nov 17, 2012.

1. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/

To me, I think Derrick Williams is a bust. Reminds me of another Michael Beasley 2.0. One thing I really don't understand is that since Kevin Durant at the 2nd overall pick since 2007, Michael Beasley (2008) Hasheem Thabeet (2009) Evan Turner (2010) Derrick Williams (2011), are all considered Bust. Even though it may be a little early but I don't see either Evan Turner, Beasley or Williams able to turn it around and be all star caliber players. Aside of Thabeet, all of those players at best are just NBA starting caliber players.

Lock if posted...

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't think you can call some of them complete busts when some of them are performing fairly well just not on an all star level

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Too early to say bust, mainly because he's only 21. Lots of guys are still in college at that age who wind up being good players. Does it look unlikely he will live up to his draft slot, yes. Can he still become a good player? Absolutely.

4. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

My theory of bust means that those guys being able to live up to their expectations. Being the 2nd overall pick is big with tons of expectations to be a franchise changer. Thabeet is a bust. Michael Beasley has bounced around different teams. Evan Turner is decent but not an all star caliber player, and so far, Derrick Williams have tons of upside and talent but not taking full advantage of it. There's a reason why he's not getting big minutes while half his team is on the injured list.

5. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Not even Ricky Rubio can make this guy look good.

He's looking bust-ish, but not quite there yet.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Comparing him to Beasley is an insult to Beasley. Ouch!

7. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Kahn does it again. Flynn, Wes Johnson and now Derrick Williams. Whos next?

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Evan Turner is actually playing very well for the 76ers this year. He had to play behind Iggy and also competed for 6th man minutes with Lou Williams. I would not be surprised at all if Turner came into his own this year.

9. SupermoochieFro

Change of scenery would be best. Dude is only 21 and has more potential than anyone on this rockets team aside from Harden. Oh, and he just had 23pts 7reb and 4blks last night.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't really consider him a bust but that's mostly because I never thought he would be a top tier player, and i say this as a big fan of his in college. That being said, he hasn't played as well as I thought he would. I considered him a to be an 18 and 8type guy

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Funny. He published that article right before one of Williams' best games of his career.

I think it's too early too tell, btw.
    He looked very well next to a real point guard, and has looked much worse ever since Rubio got injured.
    He seems a bit better this year than late last year, but it's still incomparable to how he was next to Rubio.

12. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

****ING BUST! I took him around the middle of the draft thinking he would step up with Love out and he didn't do ****! Dropped niagga!

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

These guys have fulfilled expectations. They have played like No. 2s.

14. prs325

prs325 Member

Well thats why they traded their 18th pick to us because Adelman had no confidence in Kahn picking a player of his own haha

15. smr6

smr6 Member

Maybe Morey will hang back and wait for his value to drop and take a chance on him like he did with the '09ers.

16. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Minny has a chance to trade D Will for Batum refused to give up on Williams, I think he will be a solid player.

17. nomangame

nomangame Member

Has he even had his fair share of playing time?

It's not very fair to label someone a "bust" when he doesn't get the opportunities to prove himself

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I thought he would be Antawn Jamison at worst, a max player. I'm disappointed that he hasn't had any impact, but I don't consider him a bust yet. Just look at Marcus Morris for knee jerk bust reactions.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It is almost like the NBA could have taken away every first round pick the Twolves had for 20 years for the Joe Smith scandal and it would have barely mattered.

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

Love and Rubio are the only two good draft picks they've made recently. How long ago was KG and Starbury?