1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Daryl Morey Interview on July 2nd: Dwight, Lin, Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 2, 2013.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

First part courtesy of Good Old JR!

-(How many more days in LA?) I'm here an undetermined amount of time. I'd say, people know our goals in free agency. We had a good meeting with Dwight. Turns out LA is the center hub of most of the free agents out there. A good spot to be during this intense time.

-(Manu Ginobili?) I'll avoid talking about who we are going after or not going after. Our focus is Dwight and full speed ahead. We'll see what happens. We're right in there with some other good teams and I like what we were able to put together and I hope he did.

-(Reason for why he wouldn't choose Houston?) No I don't. We're biased. We think it's his best shot. His questions were about winning and how he could be a championship contender with Harden. His line of questioning was good because it lined up with what we had to offer. He'd be a great addition.

-(Did he ask about specific players or getting other guys?) He didn't bring that up. He did bring up something I think is reasonable, which is to be involved. Know what our plans are, what we're thinking about doing so he can provide feedback. Like I told James, I'm a partner by nature. I like explaining, walking players through the plan and getting their feedback.

-(Take us around the table) Everyone participated. It was really impressive. James, Chandler both are great recruiters. We were happy they could join us. It was important for Dwight to see how committed his teammates would be. Mr. Alexander the key guy. Dwight knows that's who he is joining. Myself, Coach McHale, Tad are the key folks Mr. Alexander puts his trust in so he got to meet us as well. Obviously some dazzle with Dream and Clyde there. Even amazing for me to be with them and to have them describe what it is to win a championship. There will probably never be another Clyde and Dream but we're hoping Dwight and James, with a good supporting cast, can take down the Heat and give us a shot. My job won't be done if Dwight chooses us. We'll try and upgrade the team. The coolest moment is when Yao skyped in. Yao is amazing. He had a whole pitch ready, which none of us talked to him about. We thought he would make fun of Dwight. He had a whole pitch ready. It was really cool.

-(Mutombo do something as well?) His message to Dwight was most touching because how important community is to Dwight. Dikembe is one of the best players of all time in terms of impacting people outside the game. It affected me so I'm hoping it affected Dwight.

-(Mutombo going to bat for you guys) Shockingly I agree. It really is impressive. I have to credit CD and Mr. Alexander. The relationships built over time, luckily I caught the tail end of Dikembe's career and got to have a great relationship with him but from Elvin Hayes to Hakeem to Ralph to Dream to Yao to Dikembe, Clyde, these are guys who identify themselves with the Rockets but Dikembe and Clyde spent most of their careers away from Houston but Houston is the place they advocate for.

-(Comment on the strength coach? Was that getting someone who has a comfort level with Dwight?) That was totally unrelated. We were looking to upgrade that spot. As soon as the Magic let us talk to him, he's a guy that we had our eye on because we heard such good things about him. People will call bull**** or whatever but that was unrelated. We thought he was the best guy out there.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
    -Host asks where Jeremy Lin stands with Rox because he wasn't at meeting.

-Daryl: Dwight is excited to play with Omer and Jeremy. He's seen the rumors. Dwight likes that the ROX are team China and likes that Jeremy attacks as a guard. He likes Omer. Their names have been out there in rumors. Rumor that Omer would be available is not true. Originally they were trying to create room people called IN about Jeremy and Omer. Not looking to move either.

-Host: So if you could sign Dwight and keep the lineup in tact you'd want to do that? Keep Omer in starting lineup with Dwight?

-Daryl: No. They wouldn't play together, maybe sometimes in experiments. We feel with both playing (Omer as backup) they have top 10 defense on floor at all times.

-Host: Omer would be a HUGE luxury though?

-Daryl: Yeah, people say that but we don't look at it that way. What Omer would bring in his minutes is bigger than what another player would bring that we would trade him for. An upgrade at the 4 wouldn't bring as much to the team as Omer in 15-20 minutes.

-Host: You are just worried about the drop off in rebounding.

-Daryl: Dwight was #1 impact defender in league and Omer was top 5.

-Host: Dwight is plan A. If you don't get Dwight would you try to float the cap space? No long term deal? Or is good plan B out there?

-Daryl: Couple of things. If we don't get Dwight we will be HURT. We would NOT have done TROB deal. We've gambled on Dwight. We are waiting on him and missing other moves in free agency, but we are fully committed to bringing Dwight here.

-Host: Recap: Most important thing you said is that Jeremy Lin and Omer are not available. Only last resort if S&T to get dwight?

-Daryl: No sign and trade to get Dwight. Lakers are not interested in doing that. We have the room to sign him on the 10th and we hope he goes our direction.

UPDATE: Audio of the interview...

<iframe width="658" height="371" scrolling="no" src="http://www.sports790.com/player/embed.html?autoStart=false&useFullScreen=true&mid=23418681&startButtonColor=0xA33335" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" ></iframe>

#1 justtxyank, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
    6 people like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Key Points:

No sign and trade for Dwight
    Lin and Omer not available, they want to keep both, Dwight likes both
    Omer for 15-20 minutes is better than a new 4

3. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

Where was this on?

4. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Thanks for the info. But despite what Morey says, you never really know for sure. Lin and Asik could easily go tomorrow. Though I hope they are both part of this team going forward.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

sports talk 790

6. Karolik

Karolik Member

smells like B.S.

Morey trying to raise their values, I think if Dwight signs we say good bye to both.

7. basketballholic

wow. can't listen right now. but interesting. Either Sham got some bs from his source or Morey is covering his tracks. I'd lead toward Morey covering his tracks....big time. LOL

8. lwlee

lwlee Member

Morey seems like a straight up guy but it's hard to not believe the Asik/Lin rumours. Getting a 3rd star will prob require moving one or both player. I think he's just being politically correct by saying what he did. It has a grain of truth. Lin's contract will be tough to move. They may not be able to get equal value for Asik. If so, better to play dumb and keep peace in the family until the big deal does happen.

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

BS. Didn't Morey say at that season ticket holder meeting how excited they were for TRob? And just like that he is dumped for cap space. Why meet with Josh Smith? There's no way he would be a plan B without Dwight. If Howard signs Asik is traded to ATL for Smith.

10. nono

nono Member

So people were actually calling in for Lin and Asik ? No wonder. Amazing how most here are devaluing two really good players. Trying to package both in whatever trade they can get.

Seems like Deeks and Adande were both making their **** up, or otherwise they must have been wrongly informed by a GM whose trade proposal Morey rejected.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I don't think it's B.S. but we may see soon.

JSmoove is not a Morey type of player at all, while Asik is absolutely a Morey type of player. They also think moving Lin now would be selling him low (or that's my view anyway).

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

Now I know where the third max contract is.

Lin will be signed to the max.

13. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

In the earlier part of the interview Daryl said that he didn't know how long he would be in LA.

He was asked about Manu and he said that he did not want to talk about any one else, except that they were interested in Dwight obviously.

They asked him about what the Dinner was with Dwight was like. Daryl said that Harden and Parsons are good recruiters. He said that talking to Les was very important to Dwight, because he knew that ultimately he was the paying the checks. He said Dream and Clyde talked about what it was like winning championships. He was surprised that Yao had a pitch to Dwight when he spoke via skype. He wasn't expecting that, but thought it was good. He just thought Yao would be funny. He said Mutumbo's message was very touching because it focused on reaching out to the community.

Daryl was asked if Dwight brought up any specific players that he wanted to see on the Rockets. Daryl said that he did not name any specific players but wanted to know what their plans were to win a championship. He said that was in line with what the focus of their pitch was, so he was glad Dwight asked that.

#13 Chilly_Pete, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  14. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

Listened to this on my way to work. Kuddos for Morey getting up at 5am to speak on a radio show. Great information.

15. jocar

jocar Member

Ohhh yeahhhhhh :D

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

"bt lin hav nu value caz of poison pill contrakt onli china $$ also omur only wurt 2nd rd pick ;( lyke if yu cri"

eurgh. I don't doubt Morey is exploring options with everyone. Thats just the way the man works. It's gotten us this far, cant bail out now

17. basketballholic

Deeks nor Adande would just make stuff up. However, there is a very distinct possibility that they got phony info. No matter how much they trust their sources, their sources are getting info from other sources. GMs know how to play this game the best. They can AND DO leak all sorts of misinformation for their own devices. In this particular cases, I have no problem Morey actually sniffed around for Lin's trade value. I'm sure he was hoping to hit a home run, get a good, young player on the cheap and create the cap space to sign Dwight without moving TRob. Now he's covering his tracks.

18. jocar

jocar Member

side note: Deke n Yao r straight up G's.

19. lwlee

lwlee Member

That makes sense. Morey is capable of doing that. Playing the game. One of his lieutenants leaks out that both players are available just to see what kind of feedback they would get back. But if either players get traded, then we should remember this interview.

20. Star

Star Member

So if Asik stays as a backup center, who will be the starting PF? Tjones?