1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is Shaq so fast?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by haven, Mar 3, 2007.

1. haven

haven Member

He's out of shape and elderly in NBA terms. He's probably got more body fat than a lot of people with desk jobs. But when he's in the paint, he's ridiculously explosive. There are good guards in the game who can't move as lightning fast for a short period of time.

How do his muscles do it? Is he a medical miracle? Others of similar size/shape/age move like molasses. Heck, Deke takes great care of himself - and is ripped - but is obviously behind the pace at times.

I'm amazed. It's just not fair. What gives? How does this old fatty defy the laws of physics?

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't think he's actually as fat as he might look.

And, yes, he's just a freak of nature.

3. aaaa

aaaa Member

I actually think he's lost quite a bit of speed at this age -- but you're right, there are moments when he's still very explosive.

How about compared to Dwight Howard?

4. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Shaq is not fat. I believe he's got a 7% body fat.

5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Shaq has a VERY LOW body fat %.. He's all muscle, with little to none fat.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

That can't be right. There were years with the Lakers when he was reportedly around 15% body fat around the beginning of the season before rounding into shape over the course of the year.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That is about right. However you have to remember that the average man has around 25% body fat and if you are below 10% you should have a six pack.

If you ever seen him in person you would realize that he is not fat at all but very athletic looking. He also happens to a be a freak of nature in terms of speed.

You also have to keep it in perspective. Yes he is as heavy as most NFL lineman but he spreads that weight over another 6-12 inches of body.

What is more unbelievable to me is how Dream held his ground and even dominated Shaq on occasion and he gave up 3 inches and over 50 pounds to Shaq. That just shows you how strong Dream was for his weight.

8. Pringles

Pringles Member

first season with miami he said hes 10% body fat, and hes tired of people saying hes fat.

9. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Dude, that is a pretty ridiculous statement. Is your television blurry? Shaq is no where close to being fat. He's in great shape right now.

10. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

^

Not meant to sound hostile. "Dude" is just some awful colloquialism crap I can't stop using.

Arrgh...

But yeah, Shaq is in great shape. Come on...

11. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I've seen him doing "Dot Drills" on several occasions on tv. It is supposed to be great for improving quickness. Here's a great article on improving quickness and it also has a link to a simple dot drill routine.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/GoodFeetBadFeet.html

Kelly Baggett is a genius by the way. If any of you are looking into starting a workout program, read his articles.

12. Rockets Dynasty

Supposedly Riley said Shaq is down to about 315 right now.

During those Lakers title years he was about 360.

So there's no way he's still at 15% body fat.

13. peterlake144

peterlake144 Member

Shaq is a freak of nature... love him or hate him, he's a once in a generation specimen and an all time NBA great...

14. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

The biggest myth in the world is that Shaq is "fat"...he's not even close to being fat right now. He kept himself in great shape during his injury. He's probably the strongest NBA player there ever was. The guy is ripped, and he can bench press his Escalade (not really, but you get the point).

He's still a great player, you saw what he did last night to Detroit. There is a reason why he has 4 rings and counting. I still say there isn't a single player today that impacts winning big more than Shaq does, regardless of age or position.

He's an incredible specimen, I strongly doubt we will ever see another player who has the combination of freakish strength and quickness/athleticism that Shaq displayed throughout his career. Even Dwight Howard, with his freakish body, pales in comparison to how overwhelmingly strong Shaq is.

Oh, another thing...the guy is 35 and he can still move like that. :eek:

15. Rockets Dynasty

Actually Wilt and Kevin Willis were both stronger, at least accoridng to official weight lifting records.

16. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

not only is he fast for his size, he's quite flexible (watch the shaq dancing video :p) This man is a physical freak

17. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

But it's not just weight-lifting, I am talking about how freakishly strong his whole body is.

18. Pocket Rockets

umm realize he has played only 400 minutes this season....wait until the playoffs and see if he resorts back to last playoffs.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Seriously. More than anything, after watching the Shaq dances I figured the Heat are poised for another possible title run lol.

He's slower from natural aging but you can see he's NOT some fat beluga now:
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HBhtAc7R0aQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HBhtAc7R0aQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

20. Asian Sensation

I think people perceive Shaq as being fat because he's so much bigger than the rest of the players in the league especially when watching them on tv. In person most of the players are skinny as a twig. I remember when I met Sheed a few years back and he was tall and lanky as hell yet he looks bigger on tv. Hell, even Zach Randolph looks skinny in person.