1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy needs some subtlety in his game...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jasonemilio, Jan 9, 2013.

1. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Yes, another Jeremy thread. But I think this one is worth a separate discussion and something I havent seen truly hashed out yet/

I really do believe he has a lot of potential , despite what some might say. But aside from the obvious ugly shooting weakness (along with his still very shaky and high handles), he can really help himself by learning to slow down some and use some hesitation. Right now he relies on his elite first step and good straightline speed to get the rim, but often times charging straight to the basket to either get a layup or force the issue and (hopefully) draw a foul and then fall hard and awkwardly. Besides being a painful burden on his body, right now most defenses are intentionally sagging off on him and funneling him into a wall near the basket , and yet the boy still wants to go in there close and force the issue, often times getting blocked or turning it over

So they are basically inviting you to shoot it from 3 or from mid range. To that I say, JUST do it when you have don't the open lane or the defender is taking away your right hand. Especially near the end of shot clock situations it would just be easier to take the 3 or do a simple hesitation and step back. Easier said than done of course, but these can be praticed on. But many times when I watch him ISO the defender knows he's going to drive, and drive to his right so they can easily predict it and cut him off, yet he still does it.

In those situations a simple hesitation moves for the pullup or a stepback would atleast yield a non-negative situation- guarantee you get a shot off. Also, when he needs to learn to step further and go to a floater. Or when the D sags off of you on the PnR, just settle for the midrange shot. No need to force the issue when you dont have nothing there.

Point being: Vary up your game, however subtle and trivial. You can settle the jumpshot sometimes, atleast you'll be in rhythm with your shot vs shooting a set jumper. He's fine when he slows down to set up the passes but to truly open his and everyone else's game, he needs to show he can be semi- effective from atleast the mid range spots (like he was last season)

2. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

3. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

It is impressive tho that a guy who:

- cant shoot
    - cant go left
    - cant dribble
    - has no tricks other than running right at you
    - has no star offensive bigs
    - never has the ball in his hands

Can drop 20 and 10 on anyone.

THAT'S pretty athletic.

4. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

Not quite sure if you are being sarcastic.

But what you said is very true. That is why I think the boy has more potential and upside than even Harden.

Jeremy had so many big holes in his game. If he would just fix a couple every year, in four or five years, he will be impossible to guard.

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You are clinically insane if you think Lin has more upside then Harden.

In four a five years he will be a backup pg

6. conquistador#11

**unless the safety bites on the run, i'd rather not see jeremy attempt that 50 yard pass. =)

**Instead of picking up chicks at the mall, I would want him to hangout more with harden at treasures and pick harden's brain on the philosophy behind the eurostep.

*** lin needs to make a phone call to scola on how to become a better thespian. needs to sell fouls when he drives. It's a key to becoming a star.

7. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Um. I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure it works that way. Developing move X isn't in a vacuum in terms of an NBA skillset. Lin can throw hesitation moves all he wants but it won't do anything unless people respect his pullup jumper. Before he can get people to bite on fakes they have to fear what he's faking.

8. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Harden is breaking records with his play at age 23 o_O.

9. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

:eek:
    Get a grip on yourself.Even Stephen A Smith has back off from that sort of comment.

10. dacman

dacman Member

Lin's primary role is point guard not shooting guard. Now over the years when he adds the skills of a knock down shooting guard he will be unstoppable. As of now, his role as the primary ball handler and facilitator for the team speaks for itself during Linsanity streak in NY and the current Rockets climb up the ladder. As a point guard, yes he is a starter in this league.

11. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

I think being "clinically insane" is someone like you screaming for Lin to be sent back to the d-league. ;)

12. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Please don't quote that guy. I've added him to ignore. A troller to the extreme.

13. just a word

just a word Member

Saw more hesitation moves during his time with the Knicks. The knee surgery wrecked his deceleration and Morey has been on record saying that it hadn't returned for most of the season. Only lately has it been getting near 100%; so I wouldn't be surprised to see him incorporating them back into his game.

Also, eurostep:
    [​IMG]

There's a youtube vid of Lin in that blue knicks uniform doing it too, forget the game. He just does it much faster than Harden, and usually at an angle instead of directly downhill.

14. Grigori

Grigori Member

Watching Nash driving to the basket and dishing to his big men when defense collapse on him just shows you how much room Lin still has to improve. Nash just makes it all look so simple.

Nash does his homework, too, notice how he attacked whenever he had Ouglas on him. I was laughing my ass off during the halftime show when my brother pointed out that the entire Nash highlight reel NBA.TV showed was with Lin on the bench, and the entire MWP highlight reel NBA.TV showed was with Lin on the floor. Now, that's brains from a PG/coach. Attack the weakness yourself when the weakness is on you, get your teammates to attack the weakness when the weakness is on them.

The Rockets can definitely learn something from that.

:)

15. just a word

just a word Member

Stop feeding the troll. They just want you to react to them; the way to make them go away is by ignoring them, not by responding, and then they get bored.

16. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

I'd say he needs more picks and screens.

17. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

We've got a good track record of backup guards turning into borderline allstars.

The difference is now, we've got our top tier level talent. So, now the job is getting Lin to *compliment* Harden's game, not to try and get Lin to *outplay* Harden.

18. tor.rocks

tor.rocks Member

Harden definately has more potential than Lin. But what records are you talking about? Houston's or NBA?

The other night I was watching NY lin highlights and noticed that he did a lot more crossovers, behind the back, through the legs, type of things. But this year I didn't see many of those. Very few, until last night, where I saw him go behind the back a few time. I don't think he got his crossover yet. I saw him do a nasty behind the back crossover in new york. I was impress and so was the crowd.

I think Lin is getting his knee's back guys. We might be seeing a more consistent Lin in the new few weeks. This could be huge for us come playoff time.

19. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Jeremy Lin's upside is somewhere between Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan.

1 person likes this.
  20. nono

nono Member

Nash was playing beautiful, but he also has both the players to do what he does, and also an offensive game plan by the coach that incorporates more pick and rolls into the attack. We don't really seem to play that much pick and roll. Also have Asik, who is not that strong at either catching the ball or finishing once he has it.

Also, Nash gets screens set for him on every play. Lin uses sheer speed to get into the lane. If you gave him more screens, he'd be much more effective.