1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets exploring a Yao Ming trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets25, Dec 27, 2010.

1. delta69er

delta69er Member

Ya you're right, most of the players that morey has traded for(off the top of my head) have been unexpected to me

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Trading Yao's contract to Sacramento for a $17 mill Trade Exception

So, here's my thought ff we cannot do any other deals or if we need to do a huge imbalanced trade with another team to help save them money and why I feel like Yao's expiring contract is growing by the minute.

Sacramento or Minnesota

Yao's contract is $17 million. At the trade deadline, he will be owed about half that amount, or less. So, let's just use round numbers for simplicity and say he's owed $8.5 million. So, if we sent his contract to Sacramento, they have to shell out an additional $8.5 million. But we send them a couple million cash (I don't know what the max we can send is and ain't looking it up right now). So, that means they are out $6.5 million. But they're getting $8 million of insurance money besides. So, they actually save money.

So, if we stop right there, we can send out Yao's contract and a couple million dollars. It saves us $6.5 million or so, and we acquire a TPE worth $17 million.

Do you think we could use that to go after Chris Paul?? Or if not become a facilitator to acquire assets by helping the Knicks or Nets acquire Paul?

In my opinion, the value of Yao's expiring contract is growing by the day.

3 people like this.
  3. Cheerio

Cheerio Member

We might as well keep him if we get nothing in return. It will also help in the off-season if he wants to resign here for cheap.

4. devilsdandruff

there's a sticky thread on trading Yao.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apparently you don't understand the potential value of a 17 million dollar TE.

Interesting idea, jopatmc. And the maximum amount of cash we can include in a trade is three million dollars.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

7. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

If Melo ends up in NY I can almost guaratee CP3 will too.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Only I, and I imagine many others, haven't visited that thread in over a week. I did visit this one.

jopatmc proposed an idea I hadn't heard discussed and it brings about interesting possibilities. When you consider all of the pointless crap that gets it's own thread around here I can't believe you guys don't think this merits it's own discussion.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I can all but guarantee Paul isn't going to be traded now that Stern and the NBA control the team. They are going to have to find a new buyer for that team and Paul is the type of player that can generate interest from potential buyers because of his marketability - a bankable star. It's a lot harder for Stern to sell a franchise with no marquee star than it is to sell with one. If Paul leaves that team it's either going to be by free agency at the end of his contract or in exchange for another marquee type player.

I CAN however see Stern trading Ming for him even if Ming doesn't play another minute. Potential investors with interests in Asian markets would jump at the chance to expose themselves to a team led by a cultural icon there.

10. DaDakota

Actually, those are not my rules, they are the rules that Clutch put in place, I am just pointing it out.

DD

#1230 DaDakota, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  11. jopatmc

Paul was one idea.

What about Indy and Granger? Atlanta, Smith? Detroit, Monroe and trash? Or build for next year....Cleveland.....Andy and Jamison......Cleveland would have to throw in picks for taking that salary dump, but it might be worth it if they would turn loose their lottery pick. Memphis....S&T Gasol.

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I think Indiana and Memphis make a lot of sense for Yao as both need financial help. Granger fits what Morey is looking to acquire with Yao's contract and the Rockets could absorb Posey's contract to get Granger along with offering up young assets and the 2012 pick.

Memphis makes sense because they need to shed salary to sign some of their guys this summer. Thabeet, Mayo and even a longshot in Gasol could all be options for Yao's contract, young pieces and again the 2012 pick.

To be perfectly honest, Melo is fantastic but he brings along so many questions, I would really like Morey to make a run for Thabeet or Gasol and at least lay down the frame work for Granger. If they choose to wait on Granger, maybe something could be done during the summer.

13. DaDakota

I would love CP3, though I think he is a punk.....and am worried about his knees......

But I don't think the NBA can trade him while they are trying to sell that team, it could cause issues with new ownership or other teams if they think the NBA is being unfair.

I think CP3 is screwed...and will get stuck with the franchise tag when they finalize the new CBA.

DD

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Very creative idea, jopatmc!

Unfortunately, the only team that has close to enough cap room to make something like that happen is Sacramento, with ~$14.2M in available cap room. The Kings would have to trade away a contract or two in order to get to $17M+ in cap room to maximize the Yao trade exception.

Of course, Morey could gamble on what the new maximum salary might be under the new CBA (and to what extent current max salaries are carried over), but he may end up falling short of that figure. Remember, trade exceptions cannot be combined with player salaries, and they are not subject to the "125% + $100k" rule to allow flexibility for matching purposes, either.

Still, if the goal was to generate a huge trade exception to use at some point during the next twelve months (after Yao is gone, or even if Yao comes back as a free agent), that idea is definitely worth considering.

15. alethios

alethios Member

Ok this feels like twilight zone. What happened - did jopatmc's thread get merged to this one?

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

There will be no franchise tag.I've seen you throw that out and its not happening.

Why do so many posters think teams are dumping money? Didnt we hear about how predatory the rockets were going to be and they have been the team dumping salary.

17. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

I look for the owners to put "something" in place (if not a franchise tag) to keep it much more advantageous for the "home" team to resign their own drafted players. IMO after what happened to Cleveland and Toronto I think the owners will put something in place to prevent that from not happening EVER agian. IE the lottery. It may be something that limits how many max money players you can aquire via free agency or something that compensates a team, say if you sign their player you owe them your next so many draft picks unprotected. You get the idea. I just can't imagine it staying status quo.

18. DaDakota

Leeb, I will bet a month of sig time that there will be a franchise tag, or some facsimile of one.

DD

19. jopatmc

I thought I read somewhere that we were high on Pekovic at one time. We could do the same deal with Minny, send them Yao and $3 million and take back Pekovic, or Darko, or Koufos and Brewer, enough salary for Minny to fit him in.

20. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

yeah, Morey reminds me of that snake in the Jungle Book cartoons.

I have to side with DD on the Franchise Player thing. I'd say there's a 70% chance of that happening.