1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Kind of Rocket Fan are you concerning making the Playoffs.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Apr 18, 2012.

?

What option best classifies your position on the playoffs vs keeping our pick

1. I am a great Rocket fan who prefers we keep our lottery pick this year

36 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. I am an average Rocket fan who prefers we keep our lottery pick this year

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. I am a poor Rocket fan who prefers we keep our lottery pick this year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I am a great Rocket fan who prefers we make the playoffs this year and give our pick to NJ

91 vote(s)
    62.8%
  5. I am an average Rocket fan who prefers we make the playoffs this year and give our pick to NJ

10 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. I am a poor Rocket fan who prefers we make the playoffs this year and give our pick to NJ

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. CCorn

CCorn Member

We need to make the playoffs, if we were going to tank we should have started that 50 games ago.

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Playoff series are so much fun.
    This seems to be a really good year to have two draft picks.

Win/win

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Actually the new CBA makes it pretty hard for a player to leave their team without losing a lot of money. Plus once players get here they usually like it and want to stay. But it's certainly not most's first choice.

After the Bosh experience, Morey's new strategy to get a star is to trade for him and hold him hostage. He tried to trade for Melo that way and most recently Dwight Howard. Morey seems to believe they can apease a star once he gets here and is willing to bet they will like the city and team enough that they won't walk away from Millions of dollars. It hasn't been tested yet but it might work. Orlando certainly doesn't want to get burned. But you have to wonder if we have enough assets to meet their requests. The problem is teams like NJ also figured out Morey's concept and our betting that their superstars will also not walk away from the money. Which makes for very little stars to go around. Still we may only need one. Let's see what happens.

5. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

That is the answer! Play our guys we want for the future and trying and get rid of all who aren't in it and keep giving our all while trying to improve the team for the future.

6. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

do whatever it takes to win, now and in the future...w/o tanking (aka, losing on purpose)

7. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

If we finish out of the playoffs in the 14 slot, our total probability of ending up in one of the top 3 spots is 1.8%. If we make the playoffs we will prob be the 8 seed.

Since 1980, the only 8 seeds I can remember beating the #1 seed have been the 80-81 Rockets over the Lakers, the 90s Nuggets over Seattle, the JVG Knicks over the Heat, and the Warriors over the Mavs. So that's 4 wins in 62 playoff series ~ 7%.

It's a better chance to win a series, but I think I'd be >4x happier with a top 3 pick than with a playoff upset. Tough call, though.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Obviously the kind that likes to get ****ed. Rockets have been ****ing me for the last 3 seasons.

9. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

Why do people constantly bump 1 star threads?

....Bump

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Grizz over Spurs was also an 8 seed upset.

11. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

At the start of the season, I said that the best thing the Rockets could do was blow the team up, OKC-style. Sell every vet for future picks, play the young guys 40 minutes a game, and plan on spending 3-4 years as one of the worst teams in the league while we draft high and acquire some franchise-level talents and Parsons-esque role players to surround them with. Then contend once that solid foundation is established. I still believe that is best, and that's what I will advocate that the Rockets do after this season.

However, at this point in the season it's just not worth it to tank. We're better off making the playoffs, getting our young guys some experience in a 7-game situation, earning extra cash to invest in our organization, and discharging our pick obligation to NJ so we have more trade flexibility in years to come. It may also help Les negotiate his new TV deal on more favorable terms. There's just very little to gain from another 14th pick.

12. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Yep. If you don't think Rockets are contenders when they're on a 3 game winning streak you're not a real fan :rolleyes:

13. sergio

sergio Member

We have enough scrubs on this team as is. Make the playoffs and stop trying to develope scrubs into stars (pat). This franshise needs to attract top free agents by showing its a playoff team.

14. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

If you're on CF then ur a great fan...

15. Dei

Dei Member

Playoffs. Gogi got me emotionally invested.

16. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I enjoy watching my favorite team win.

So yeah, I want them to make the playoffs.

17. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I'd rather win. Remember when the stros made the world series. Now do you even know 5 players on the roster?

18. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

I will quote a great and current coach "All teams are 0-0 when the playoffs begin" -Doc Rivers-
    So of course I want them to make the playoffs, hey you never know, you just never know. 0-0 all teams.

19. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

Brad lidge, Andy pettite, Roger Clemens, Lance Berkman, Craig Biggio
    and no i didn't look it up, but that was one year i was glued to the tv watching them play throughout the playoffs, oh and Carlos Beltran was a big part of it.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

well i am a poor man, and a big rockets fan. So does that make me a poor rockets fan?