1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] For Rockets, winning in 2012 would be nice, but losing might be better

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

7 people like this.
  2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm completely on board with this. Great article, Clutch.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Tanks for the great article, Clutch!

5. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Agreed. Trade the vets that just just don't quiet get it done, but are too good to really fail. Play the young ones and find out their worth.

If they are good enough to win... awesome!
    If they are not good enough to win... awesome!

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'd settle for Park Place.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Damn, I must have missed this quote during lockout-induced indiffereince but I find it

1) Hilarious and awesome that a guy lauded as a pretty poor coach and GM during his Minnesota years would openly endorse being terrible, and

2) not as disturbing as clutch - you can definitely read those comments to be more along the lines of "hey let's not play Elvin Hayes for 59 minutes a game at age 42 as a "thank you" from the city of Houston - heh -heh-heh " than an "oh yeah we're going to guns blazin battle fight for a high lotto pick Van Gundy style!"

8. heypartner

Read the quote again. You're missing something.

9. heypartner

also, thought I'd point out that Luxury Tax is the spot between Boardwalk and Park Place. Be careful where you step. :)

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Morey has to know this. Welcome aboard the Tank! Perry Jones, here we come!

11. eman

eman Contributing Member

Surely Les, DM, and K-Mac are bright enough to realize tanking is the order of the day-- and, for marketing purposes, there's no way they can let on that that's exactly what they're doing. Here's to the 2014-2024 dynasty! Of course, with our luck, the Mayan calendar will turn out to be right...

12. MadMax

Actually it was Morey who said that.

13. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

What a fantastic and depressing article, Clutch nailed it.

Les Alexander is sounding more and more like an old friend(Uncle D).

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Even in the context of Morey, being terrible & hiring McHale go hand in hand:
    Words: Mr. Alexander wants to remain competitive
    Actions: Mr. Alexander fires Field Marshal Adelman and Kevin McHale comes walking through that door, on the express condition that he'll be caretaker for Harry Potter of RGV.

1 person likes this.
  15. Nero

Nero Member

I agree completely with Clutch. I think a lot of fans had already written off this season anyway, so this year, especially at a *discount* of only having to watch 66 games instead of 82, is the ideal time to stockpile assets for what quality we DO have, and hit the floor hard with the young guys, get them some seasoning before the coming offseason. It's the perfect storm, and who knows, maybe they can make something of Thabeet and all this hand-wringing over not having a quality big can solve itself. (and maybe pigs will fly out of my butt, but that is an entirely different cause for hand-wringing)

MEMO TO LES: Take a break, go on a nice lonnnnnng vacation, leave this all in Morey's hands, and don't consign this city to a forever purgatory of hoops mediocrity.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

We got shot down by Park Place the 3 times(Melo, Bosh, DWill). We're crossing our fingers at Nene right now. What is he? A dark green or Yellow property?

If Park Place was easy to obtain, we'd have it already and just waiting for Boardwalk right now.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Love the article, could not agree more.

I do think they will wait to see whom shakes out in Amnesty though before committing to playing the young guys.

While it would be sad to see Chuck, Kmart and Luis go, it would be fun to see young guys develop.

I am still unclear why they brought on McHale unless he is on board with this though, I guess time will tell.

Well written, and I am sure Morey gets it....what I am not sure of, is if Les gets it.

DD

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

So how many games will McHale lose for us? Because I don't feel we'll be worse than .500 assuming our core stays intact. So no, McHale doesn't allow us to tank. Trading away Scola and letting Hayes go? Then we can revisit the situation.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This nails it. I've said it since the lockout started that we are in a good position for 2013 but we need a "Football Lucy" backup plan.

As an organization and as fans.

20. MadMax

in before knote and sammy tell me the current roster is one of a championship contender!!!!! :grin: