1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Tonights game brought back memories of JVG offense.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Chef_Monteur, Nov 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

One guy just stands out on the perimeter dribbling the air out of the ball, pass to another guy who just dribbles the air out of the ball, then force up a bad shot and hope our front court gets the offensive put back.

JVG offense 101 :rolleyes:

2. trowa

trowa Member

hahahahhahaaaa

3. trowa

trowa Member

we need stan van gundy. he is an offensive genius, at least comparing with mcfail

4. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

tmac is probably itching to come back here, this offense is tailor made for him.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

please dont insult JVG...at least he did one thing really well...Defense...we were getting abused inside...by fareed today...

6. duteman

duteman Member

All jvg does is clog the lane and hope they miss 3s and jumpers. Reason we always got smited by suck teams that had no fear in shooting. Jvg and mchale are equals in sucking

7. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Don't forget JVG had 2 players and a team full of scrubs.

Give Mchale a chance this year and if he sucks bring back JVG.

8. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

No, the problem tonight was that we made a subpar defensive team look like a top 5 defensive team because of all the sloppy turnovers and the fact that we only have one player on our roster who can score at the NBA level.

9. VeloCity

VeloCity Member

How badly was Asik hurt? Why was the best paint defender/rebounder/shot blocker sitting on the bench for the final 5+ minutes of the game?

10. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Yeah, it seems with the last of McHale's team gone (Excluding Patterson) we see the offense regress a great deal. I was hoping for something better coming off 3 days of rest and prep to get Harden familiar to what the offense was trying to do but it seemed that nothing was all that different from the first few games in how they tried to score.

Patterson was actually getting his shots to go tonight but the same stuff they did before including over reliance on Delfino chunking up 3 point shots.

11. s3ts

s3ts Member

Who else saw many failed attempts to run the offense through Asik?

The dude is grabbing 11+ boards, but I just can't imagine him being an true force on the offensive end. So why do they keep feeding the ball to this guy? To draw doubles?

The thing that pissed me off the most is the fact that literally everyone stood around waiting for the basketball, and kept feeding Aldrich and Asik.

Seriously?! The best guards in the league always change pace and move without the ball very well. Are we seriously sticking to this offense around the 5 and waiting around for a pass-out? That's not going to work when we have such mismatch line-ups. Asik is not Yao Ming.

12. AirSwish

AirSwish Member

All this talk in preseason, attack the paint and have most the shots on the paint area. Whatever happened to that? I hate to see Ppat shooting from out there and I don't care if he makes them. Asik and Ppat needs to be down low, getting easy buckets. All Denver did, was leaving them out there open and sit close in the paint and wait for Harden/Lin to attack. An offense play that result Ppat/Moris getting ball 20 ft from the basket is just not efficient. And worse, I didn't see Harden pass the ball to bigs at all this game.

13. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Maybe if Les didn't crap all over Hakeem he would be more inclined to work with our big men rather than the big men of teams we face, like JaVale McGee.

14. AirSwish

AirSwish Member

True, it was a JVG type of game, so frustrating tonight. Harden with his dribble and I would yell, PASS the ball before they get to you... Asik gets the ball under the basket, I would yell SHOOT the ball, Lin gets by his man and I would yell SHOOT the open jumper...and of course, every time I yelled they would do everything opposite. Harden would dribble, Asik would try to pass close to the basket, and Lin would not even look at the basket. :mad:

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I don't think JVG would have ever allowed Patterson and Morris to get off a single three no matter how wide open they were. This offense right now is uglier because there is no Yao that you can just go to in the same exact spot every time in the post. Harden is playing the role of T-Mac where he has the ball at the end of the shot clock being forced to penetrate against a double team or shoot a contested jumper.

16. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

So, JVG offense is no offense. Absolute correct. Luckily. JVG had this 7'4 giant and a two time scoring champ to make watching the Rockets bearable.

The roster today has one decent semi proven player and a bunch of role players. Can't really say to just "dump" the ball down low or everyone spread out and let so and so run an iso. Without a system, this team isn't going anywhere.

I would love to see and organization surround Adelman with some half decent players like his Blazers and Kings days. His system is a thing of beauty.

17. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Not even close. JVG had Yao who was a premiere low post scorer, we had none.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jvg was iso and post. This cat is iso and fools gold.

19. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

I agree. The only difference is they could dump the ball into someone whose last name is Ming when no one was open at the 3-point line.

20. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Pretty funny. I like JVG alot though, and he could definitely coach defense.