1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Dirt: Near trade-ups, Biedrins and Flynn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

-- The Rockets tried to work a deal for 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 in an effort to get one specific player. My hunch was the #2 pursuit was to get Kanter, even over Derrick Williams. That was wrong -- it was for Jonas Valanciunas.

-- Brandon Roy all over again? <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=6195726">Talked about this</a> before the draft and hearing that was how it played out: Rockets had a scenario in place with Detroit at #8 for Bismack Biyombo and Charlotte swooped in to make the deal with Sacramento at 7 to get Biyombo. Same spots in the draft where the Foye-Roy-Gay issue happened in 2006. Yahoo! had reported Charlotte moved up there to get Tristan Thompson... if that was the case, then obviously Biyombo was next on their list.

-- Apparently the Rockets almost made a deal with the Golden State Warriors for Andris Biedrins tonight, which shocked me (he's owed a lot of $$ I believe). I don't know any details beyond that but look for more in the Houston Chronicle from Jonathan Feigen.

-- Rockets really like Motiejunas' post game. They feel his post moves are very, very good. Still more of a projected player, 2 years down the line, but they like him. They had good intel that he was going just before them at 23 and they jumped up to get him.

-- Sounds like Jonny Flynn is a distant third on the depth chart at PG (which I guess surprised me). They feel he will need to prove himself here, that Lowry-Dragic are clear 1-2.

-- Rockets felt Chandler Parsons was a first round talent all the way ... he was in the mix at #23. They were motivated to buy back their pick at #38 when he was available there. It was mentioned that he would be the third tallest SF in the league next year (haven't checked that).

-- Here's Daryl Morey on going more offense than defense ultimately in the draft and second video: Morey's take on Kevin McHale's impact/role with the team so far.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dA7ufS1kVWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EfSAqljxQXM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EfSAqljxQXM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

7 people like this.
  2. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

Clutch.. Do you know how high was Morris on Rockets daft board ?

3. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Good stuff Clutch. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

I want to know this as well. And i want to know which other small forwards they rated higher than Morris if there were any.

5. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

Biedrins.....interesting. Wonder what the rest of the proposed deal was...

6. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch!

7. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I 3rd this...

8. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Wow I didn't know Morey liked Jonas that much.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

great info. I've been hoping for Biedrins personally, though I know people think I'm stupid for it. Obviously depending on what has to go back, but I love the rebounding and shot-blocking--especially on a team with multiple options and depth (so we don't need to worry about his foul issues too much--just use him for what he is)

10. cod

cod Member

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The "near misses" are always a possibility when your team is aggressive pursuing opportunities-- a good numbers of them won't pan out, and a good number of times somebody will make an offer that trump yours in the mind of your potential partner. It's just a fact of life.

The only way not to have any misses is to not try.

12. cod

cod Member

I had a hunch he was the Rockets no.1 target:

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/checking__on_the_rockets_t_2011_02_09.html
    Brad Newley, Lietuvos Rytas: 6.8 ppg, 4 rpg, 36 3P%

Arturas Karnisovas: “Brad changed teams this year again. He’s playing at the highest level of competition overseas, which is the Euroleague. He’s actually playing for the same team I played with when I was 16. I’ve followed him all this year. They made it to the top-16.

13. Rocketfanatic2

Thanks Clutch, great info. I'm a little surprised they were so interested in Jonas. Also, if they thought Parsons was a first round talent, then it sounds as though we got a steal.

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

Okay, Michael Jordan.;)

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Clutch, is your intel on Flynn being the clear #3 PG based on anything other than Morey's comments in his press conference? Because, listening carefully to his words, it sounds like what he meant to say was that it would be tough to take minutes from Kyle or Goran (in the sense that those two guys are competitors who will fight hard to keep their minutes), not that Flynn wasn't going to get the opportunity to earn minutes ahead of either of those guys.

While I clearly expect Lowry to be the starter next year, I don't see why Flynn wouldn't at least be given the opportunity to compete for the primary backup PG spot with Dragic in training camp.

***Subject to trades.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Bima -- it's more than the press conference, but he'll definitely have a chance to compete -- he's just coming in as the #3 and I think they recognize he hasn't played well. I'm sure if he outplays those guys he will earn it, which is what I meant by "They feel he will have to prove himself here."

17. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Morey seems to know a lot about all these players in drafts. This is something we all know he evaluates carefully.

18. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Nice, I'm also interested in the Rockets' projections of players.

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I don't understand the Biedrins interest. He's constantly injured, on a big contract, and even when healthy plays just like Dan Gadzuric.

20. Houston_Rockets

Flynn will surprise a lot of people, he will get mins, because the guy has heart, and coming off the bench, energy guys that can turn around a game in 5 mins are needed, plus the change of pace. Not dismissing Dragic tho.

I still don´t buy the possibility of having 15 rotation caliber players, some trade will happen before the seasons starts, I say this all the dam time :grin:

Great work Clutch, nice info

PeACe

1 person likes this.