1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Can I throw away other people's mail?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kyakko, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

I've been living at my house for over a year and a half and still get the previous owner's mail. Some of them are marked urgent, forward etc... I think they may be from collections.

Anyways, I wrote on the letters "please forward, longer lives here" on about a dozen of them, but they still keep on coming (I throw away junk mail sent to them). I'm getting kind of irritated by this. Can I legally start throwing the letters away?

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Have you contacted the post office? I'd et them know that mail to folks that no longer live at that address is still being delivered.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is what I'd do if you haven't already.

4. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

I'll do that. I don't think the previous owners forwarded their mailing address and somehow, I don't think the post office will just start returning their mail automatically. I've already written enough "return to sender" notes but neither the sender or the post office seems to get the message. If they keep on coming after I do that, then can I start shredding their mail?

5. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I've been throwing away the old renters mail at my place for months. The mail man said if you put your name somewhere on the inside of the mailbox, they can't/won't deliver mail addressed to anyone else. Don't know if that's true or not.

6. Fiah

Fiah Member

I did this too and the mailman still puts mail in the box when its clearly marked with my name.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Having a PO Box for years, I always keep getting different peoples mail. I used to put it back in the mail, now I just throw it away if it has my number/address on it.

8. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

mark "no longer at address, return to sender" on them and leave them in your mailbox. better than continuing to receive them

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Dude, we have KEPT getting the one person's crap going on three years in our new house. For Xmas, she got what was clearly a gift package. TWICE I ran down the UPS guy when he left it on the porch and said "Hey, she doesn't live here." And he would say "okay, thanks," take the package... and then redeliver when we weren't home.

We gave up and opened the package and now have a nice set of copper kitchen containers.

1 person likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

^This

11. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

What I do is that I just write RTS(Return To Sender) then put it back in the mail box if it ever happens.

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Depends on what it is.

If it looks important, i.e. bills, letters, etc. I return to sender...

If it's like a mass publication newsletter or obvious junk mail, it's 86'd.

5 years at our house, btw... and we still get stuff. Only one previous owner though, and it was the realtor.

13. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If you forward the mail, the sender will never know to stop sending you mail.
    On most mail, you can just cross out the address and write "RTS-MLNA-UTF". It's the postal service's abbreviation for "Return to Sender-Moved Left No Address-Unable to Forward".

Unfortunately, 3rd class or pre-sorted bulk rate mail will not be returned to the sender. It will be tossed by the post office and you will still get it.

I believe it's a federal crime, if you throw away another person's mail though.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

We're still getting mail for the people that lived in our house before the people we bought it from...and we've been there 2 years. It goes in the trash at this point. I don't even look to see if it's important or not.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We have lived in our current house for 7 years, and we still get christmas cards for the people that owned the house before us....now we just toss em.

DD

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

That's funny. I've done the same thing. I got so tired of writing return to sender, I just dropped it back in the outgoing mail slot right there at the community mailboxes.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I just trash them.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No, you cannot. Next! :eek:

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sure you can, nobody cares.

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

for a while, i got annual packages of steaks when i moved in to my house. it was some kind of annual gift from a client as the former homeowner worked from home. hey...i come home and find that on my doorstep with it marked as perishable...it's mine. it's the previous homeowner's fault for not updating his address with his client. but, those stopped after a few years. it was good while it lasted.