1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Times: Lin Does a Lot by Not Doing Too Much

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was in today's Sunday's NY Times. A few interesting quotes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/s...is-fitting-in-well-with-the-rockets.html?_r=0

2. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

This is crucial. I think Lin is positively affecting the game by constantly setting the tempo.

3. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

I heard from our commentators quite a few times that our offense is more organized when Lin is on the floor.

4. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

You don't see this in the stats but I think this is the crucial role he plays.

5. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

keep it up Jeremy!

6. pnr

pnr Member

He creates a lot of transition opportunities with his steals. He also sees the floor very well in transition and knows where and who to pass to on the fastbreak.

7. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

NY Times does the best analysis of Jeremy Lin, out of the NY papers at least.

8. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Depending on how the Knicks finish up the season....a lot of folks could be hammering Grunwald for not matching Lin's offer. When SAS is hinting that route you know it's not good....I think age is getting up to the Knicks, not to mention a much tougher stretch of the season. I know not too many people expect much of this team this year, but I still feel they need to make it to the playoffs to make a nice statement to the previous teams....Thunders for Harden, Bulls for Asik, and Knicks for Lin.

9. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Thanks for the read, master Sweet Lou. That's why I honestly think Lin has had the toughest balancing job on this team. Credit him for the willingness to sacrifice his own game in order to fit into the team's scheme. At the same time, I am still not sure if the situation is truly good for him and for this team in terms of their respective long term growth potentials. Just look at John Wall and Kyrie at their tremendous growth being the man on their teams. There is no reason why Lin can not be the same if only given the chance. This Rockets team now is Harden's team. Lin needs to find his own team.

10. Pringles

Pringles Member

Lin is not as talented as either Wall or Irving. Get a grip.

11. muas2010

muas2010 Member

How so? Just becasue they played for big name schools and drafted high? You slip Lin into either of those two's spots and I'm betting that their team's record would be the same or even better....that's the real getting a grip on things.:grin:

12. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

The hard part for Lin is regularly yielding control and keeping his own stats up at the same time.

13. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

offense gets stagnant when Lin is the primary ball handler

14. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Totally agreed.

15. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Try doing it without him for several games.

16. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

I'd say Lin is at least as talented if not more talented as a floor general than both John Wall and Kyrie; and I am a fan of them all having been watching/following all of them since before college.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Can Lin stop getting in the air and passing.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Lin's weakness is his offensive capability. He's not exactly the strongest finisher and he's not the strongest jump-shooter particularly off the dribble. But he's decent all around and can penetrate.

He does have amazing court vision and that's really his strength. But he needs to improve in the other areas to really be a top-flight point guard.

He's doing a good job, and growing, and I've been happy with his progress so far. But I wouldn't try to make comps to Kyrie at this point in time. Very different types of players. Kyrie and Wall have far higher upside than Lin. But Lin is more likely to last I think due to the strong foundation he is building.

19. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

His FT shooting could improve as well. Like other parts of his game he's a good FT shooter but not great.

20. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

Uh, no.

I'm beginning to wonder if he's simply not capable of resisting the occasional urge to purge the ball instead of just aggressively going to the basket. It's like he overthinks it.