1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

If mods feel this thread is redundant, feel free to merge.

I am probably one of the few people who never watched any of the Knicks games during Linsanity era, only some highlights. But a cursory glance at his stats as a starter in NY suggest a player with elite potential coupled with some problems that you'd expect from a youngster. To put it another way, if he was a top-5 pick that came out of college last year and put up even remotely close stats, people would talking about his future stardom like crazy.

Yet this offseason, it seems mostly fans just talk about him being a flash in the pan, he can't go left, he has too many TOs, he can't shoot, etc. Is there any reason why he can't fix the holes in his game at the age of 24? I mean, he's a Harvard grad, so you'd think he knows how to best improve his game. Is there something in his game that makes people think he's peaked as a defacto rookie?

Just trying to get some feedback from those who saw him play. Because it seems like the general sentiment is that he's all downhill from here. When traditional logic would indicate that Lin would improve on his weaknesses with time and actually become a more polished player while retaining his innate scoring/passing ability.

2 people like this.
  2. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Does Lin have the potential to be a great PG? I don't see this right now. Above average? Yes. I expect him to be an aggressive floor general. I observed NY before and when the pressure is on him defensively, he forces the ball like it's covered in butter.

This team is a young one so I will expect some blunders here and there. I hope he leads our team well when he's on the floor.

3. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I watched every minute of his games in Knicks. It sounds crazy, but I think Lin is a steal at this price for his ability/potential alone and he has excellant defense and clutchness.

Whenever Morey brings a new PG in, be it Lowry/AB/Dragic, the newcomer always surprises us and beat expectations. Be ready for the same thing down the road.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Best case is all star, but not superstar. Could be a borderline top 5 PG in his peak years. He's a good bet to at least be starting caliber.

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

How often is a players first 25 games there best 25 games? He will continue to grow and develop and really the sky is his limit.

1 person likes this.
  6. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Upside: Toney Parker(esq)

1 person likes this.
  7. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I've also observed every one of his games with the Knicks, and he is gonna be a good one. And he's got that special something about his game. The type that makes hustling' infectious, the type that makes everyone around him better. He's a "winner." I don't know how else to say it. He's ultra clutch and his defense is strangely, very strangely underrated. I can't believe that with all the hype, he is still, so underrated. He was the California HS player of the year and led his underdog team to a state championship and still wasn't offered any scholarships. He broke numerous records and won many awards at college and still wasn't drafted. He somehow made it to the NBA, got his first starts and killed it! Averaged insane numbers all at the young age of 23, and still gets treated as if he hasn't proven anything. Jeez. It's not a coincidence that he turned around his HS team into a champion, completely turned around the Harvard program at college, and turned around an NBA team into playoff contenders. He has the "it" factor and anyone who doesn't think so, I must conclude, has seen only a few of his games, if that. Check out his games guys, we have something to be excited about. I'm telling' ya.

4 people like this.
  8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

fixed

9. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

If we go with the young guns, then his flaws won't show as much. This should give him time to improve his game, without the pressure and spotlight he would've had in NY.

10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

He was basically a rookie last year, and played like a superstar for 2 weeks. He has the ability to be a bonafide stud, we'll just have to see how much he can grow.

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Reasonable. What was Nash's upside when he was in his 2nd and 3rd year?

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

A less turnover prone Jeremy Lin

1 person likes this.
  13. J-Red

J-Red Member

This. Plus I know everyone says players will learn how to play against him to counter his skill set, but he should be able to adapt as well. If he can get more consistent with his outside shot just a little more, it will open up the game he already has slashing to continue to grow as well.

14. Chinahype

Chinahype Member

I think it's harder for Jeremy to be less turnover prone because of his shorter wingspan and small hands... if only he was Jerome Lin that would be beast.

15. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

A rich man's Jeremy Lin.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

If these are truly Lin's potential, seems like a good value at $8.3mil/yr then. Not sure why so many people are saying we overpaid. Generally FAs are players which have peaked. If Lin has potential, then he can easily outperform this contract. Heck, if he even reaches Kyle Lowry level, he'd be worth quite a lot more than 8mil/yr.

17. jaedenky

jaedenky Member

Why do you think he has small hands and short wingspan? he is 6'3" and has the 3rd longest wingspan of any PG his height, his wingspan is equal to someone that is 6'5". His athleticism and physical attributes are very underrated.

But oh yeah, I forgot, just because his eyes are a different shape that means he's scrawny, small, unathletic and has short arms (end sarcasm).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LiwSUxszuN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  18. AFS

AFS Member

Hasn't he already proven himself to be starting caliber?

19. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

14 pts
    7 ast
    3 to
    44 % shooter
    36-38 from 3
    more attendance @ Toyota ctr
    and a lot of pointless threads

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I watched all his games 3 times and to me his upside is solid starter.