1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Anyone have AT&T Dish + DSL without a land line?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mulder, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

So we are moving to a new apartment and they are using Dish Network. No biggie as we have had them before. We haven't had a land line line in years but at our last apartment we had Dish and a Cable modem through the complex.
    This new apartment has AT&T Dish and DSL for internet.

We went into an AT&T phone store and talked to the sales guy. I asked specifically "is a land line required for the Dish or DSL with you guys?" Of course he said No. We decided what we wanted and he placed a call to complete the order. Then the phone rep starts telling him that we have to get a land line for 17.95 plus local, state, and federal fees and taxes. (B*LL****.)

I asked why and he said he didn't know. I asked to the phone rep. She said that the Dish Network requires a land line. I said that I have had Dish for 3+ years and never had a land line. The land line is only needed for pay per view and tech support through the Dish. She says the DSL needs it. I was like what about this "Naked DSL" that I have heard about? Then the phone rep says "Look do you want it or not?!" At that point I hang up and we leave the store.

Bottom line: Do you have to get a land line to have Dish + High Speed internet through AT&T? :confused:

2. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I got DISH a couple months ago and I don't have a land line- all of their newest tuners have network cards in them. I plugged in a network line from my router and I haven't had a charge since.

The tech who installed the Dish told me that I would get a charge and wasn't sure about the NIC, but I decided to give it a go and it works out. It -does- have to have some kind of connection. I've even had a tech remotely access the tuner to look at it over the internet.

Bottom line- the sales people and cable monkeys might not know the full story.

EDIT- after further thought, you just got a bogus sales rep. Play the CSR game and get a good one. If they say that you will pay an extra $5 a month to have DISH without the land line, say that's ok. It's what I did. And speaking as a Network tech myself who has seen DSL without an actual landline phone (just the phone line), it will work. That guy was just blowing smoke up your ass.

#2 Jeremiah, Mar 12, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  3. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I not only don't have a landline phone, I don't have a working landline at all. The network interface through Dish is interesting...

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

Mulder,

Jeremiah nailed it.

Run a CAT 5 cable from the back of your DISH receiver to your broadband router. Youll probably have to mess around with the setup on the receiver to make it all functional.

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I have DSL with no landline. I don't have DISH though.

I had DISH before though, and the installer dude mentioned that the phone line was used to update the receiver. Back in the day (like 3 years ago) this resulted in a 3 dollar fee or something if you did not plug in the reciever for updates.