1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Why So Much Patterson Hate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nbalopez23, Dec 1, 2012.

1. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

This guy the past few weeks is really becoming a guy who will give at least 15 points a night at a consistent basis and this guy plays his heart out there, but he gets the most hate outside of Lin why is that??

He is improving in the post, and he is making 3s at a high percentage (Higher than Ex Rocket Lee also) that means something. He may not be the best rebounder, but if he really was that bad maybe in the future just move him to the 3.

Patterson in my eyes needs to stay he is only going to get better maybe even a position switch to the 3 would be better, but come on WHY SO MUCH HATE ON HIM?

2. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

Because most of Lin's assists went to Patterson.

3. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

Let's not make everything about Lin.;)

But yes, he is doing really well.

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

He's a white Andrea Bargani.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Patterson will never, ever be a 3.

He is a solid PF, who will fetch us a nice player down the road...

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Because most of you clowns want to waste time chasing after Paul Milsap.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Because this board has a tendency of hating smart, disciplined players.

8. liljojo

liljojo Member

It's because we know we still need an upgrade, but there's no way we're trading away or benching any of our other 4 starters. So PPat it is.

9. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

If 2Pat played like he did in the past week, the hate would be gone. But time will tell.

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Patpat is a solid pf but jot great... similiar to landry, hill, scola, etc...

Good role player, great player off the bench..

But he is being.maxed out for owners/gm's across the league for assets...

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If he can shoot 3s and play solid post defense, I can forgive his poor rebounding and lack of post offense.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He can stay solid on defense, provide consistent production on offense, and try to be more assertive on the rebounds, I have no complaints with him. His play has improved a lot in the last few weeks. Looks like he's coming into his own after a down year.

13. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

I've been happy what hes been doing. I guess when you have Omer grabbing 13 rebounds a game, Chandler grabbing 6-9 there is not many rebounds left to grab, since they play the majority of minutes together.

If Pat grabs 10 a game then everyone else has a rebounding dificiency all of a sudden.

14. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

You hit it on the nail.

We've spent too much money for Lin to be playing on the bench. He either improves or gets traded.

James Harden.

Chandler Parsons is the steal of the NBA draft and the Rockets darling child. Plus, being good-looking doesn't hurt.

Omer Asik is exceeding his contract, which seemed incomprehensible just 4 months ago.

...and PPat. So you can see why people are rather critical of PPat's rebounding. He's a wonderful offensive player and really is the our only post player. I think he learned a lot from playing behind Scola and it shows. But with Lin and Parsons exemplifying potential far better than PPat, it leaves him in a lose-lose situation of playing well yet still in danger of getting traded.

1 person likes this.
  15. roxxy

roxxy Member

His screen setting leaves a lot to desire. Also he tends to play soft at times. How many charges has he drawn this season? Less than Lin i believe. His help defense could be a lot better as well. He isn't a very intimidating player none of our bigs are really when he goes in for a dunk nobody is really scared. There was one play where Harden Patterson Parsons were in trying to get a rebound & they gave Utah like 3 back to back possession with the ball because they were all struggling. Lin jumps in there & just grabs it off of Utahs 4th missed chance at the bucket. Offensively he has been solid though I think he will keep it up.

16. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I'm just hoping this 2Pat is here to stay, that he's really turned a corner... that this isn't going to be some 2-week hotstreak followed by a string of 10-3 games. But, you can tell he recommitted himself to D this offseason. He's been solid one-on-one in the post. And, he's 6-12 from 3 over the last 3. Really? The guy who attempted all of 3 treys in 64 games last year?

Damn.

Keep on keepin' on, 2Pat.

1 person likes this.
  17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.hoopdata.com/defrebstats.aspx?team=HOU&type=tot&posi=%&yr=2013&gp=0&mins=20

18. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

PPat is a guy that needs to be setup to score. He can't score on his own. And to me, most of the time, he's a black hole where once he gets the ball, he's going to try to score no matter what. Not to mention that he can't guard the really good PFs in this league and is a terrible rebounder. That's why I'm not enamored with him.

19. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Why is PPat getting so much hate? He still has flaws in his game.

The biggest flaw of them all is his bball IQ, which is below average, while the rest of the starters are high in bball IQ.

I am not worry about the rest of his game. He can improve on his rebounding. He can learn to box out. He can improve being 'soft,' but to improve his bball IQ will take more than time. This is one area some players might never improve over time.

For example, I saw many time when he had the ball and was open 10-15 feet from the basket with no defender immediately in front of him, high IQ players will take straight to the rim. PPat, more often than not, would shoot the ball. It didn't matter if he made the shot or not. His decision making is subpar with the rest of the team.

20. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Earlier in the season, i was thinking there are two positions that we needed to upgrade and replace next year, Patterson and Parsons. Well, both players have been playing exceptionally well and if they keep playing like that...it's going to make people like me forget about talking of bring someone like LaMarcus Adridge over through trade.

I mean we have max money for a superstar next year, who are we going after? There ain't much good players out there that i consider max player, not the like of Durant, Westbrook, and Dwade. Josh Smith ain't a max player man. Chris Paul is the ONLY one out there that deserve this money. Howard and Bynum had their problem and Osik is doing fine....we don't need Howard who is a horrible FT shooter and Bynum spending time collecting checks and not playing lol. We could get Millsap or Jefferson but both are undersize and we have enough of that. WE can go after old Ginobili but i doubt the Spurs is going to give him up...we can try to throw money at him and see if they can match him. I think this team just need depth. People talking about getting Cousins...yea ok, you think the Kings are just going to give up their best treasure?? Keep dreaming...he ain't a free agent next year either. The best you can get is Tyreke Evan but he ain't that good a player.