1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Keep an eye on Deron Williams, because the Rockets sure will

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Would you trade Kyle Lowry (+ more) for Deron Williams?

1. YES

312 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. NO

338 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Both are also smart enough to play on or off the ball. In fact, I recall that Deron played quite a bit of SG for his team in Turkey during the lockout.

Anyhow, the Nets are probably not going to make a decision until right before the trade deadline (holding out hope for the Dwight Howard trade), so lets watch and see. Best case scenario, I think, is for the Rockets team to have a good record (thus elevating the perceived value of all of its players in the eyes of both other teams and FAs-to-be like Howard and Deron) and for the Knicks to struggle (but not too badly, don't want their pick to be top 5) so as to increase the value of that draft pick.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure Lowry, Scola, and expiring contract would be moved in that deal for Deron.

That's a pretty nice trade for New Jersey.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol what's the point of getting D-Will if you have to gut your team to get him? You'll just literally become the NJ Nets West. More importantly, what if DW walks to Dallas in the offseason? Hard to see him not going to his home state if they have space and Dirk Nowitzki waiting for him.

If we have enough assets to trade for D-will then we have enough assets to trade for just about anyone. Let's do a trade for Harden/Batum/Gerald Wallace/or anyone who is an upgrade to any position we have and play that guy with Lowry instead. That'd be cheaper asset-wise, and you don't run the risk of face-palming yourself and watching Dallas triple D it up (DH, Dirk, DW).

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think lowry for dwill is a realistic trade, but what then?

We hope and pray that

A) DH decides we're his #1 option
    B) Orlando settles for what we can offer ?

It doesn't seem very likely that both of those will happen, especially B. Orlando is better off just getting Bynum and they can do so whether DH wants to be traded to LA or not, right?

5. eman

eman Contributing Member

Kyle's playing so well-- and Dalembert, too-- that this question is moot. We need to improve our D at the 2 and 4. We might be able to do that from within, now, or with the coming draft.

6. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

We almost had Deron, I was not aware of that! If we give up Scola + Lowry + picks, that's fine. However, for that we need to suck so we can get a high pick + hopefully the NY pick and deal either one, not both. We need at least get something out of this draft, this has priority over Deron for me.

7. eman

eman Contributing Member

In other words, I'd rather have Batum at our 2.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Another option, if SOMEHOW we get Deron without sending Lowry, is to then flip Lowry in Howard package.

9. rocketsmetalspd

Please not again. The Rockets should not trade KLow for DWill, it would be one big error the Rockets will make if they do. There is no need for it since Howard will rather be in LA anyways once this short season is over he will bolt for the bright lights of LA. IF the Rockets are thinking that DWill would lure Howard here is one big gamble I don't want the team to take.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It would be disappointing to trade for a star at the position in which we are most secure.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If it gets dwight here, make it happen. Scola and Lowry is overpaying though.

12. Asian Sensation

I think that's a Championship caliber team honestly. But also if we do somehow magically land both Williams and Howard it will be that much easier to sign key veteran stars who have made a lot of money looking to play for a contender. The 2013 list includes names such as Ginobili, Captain Jack, Odom ... I could see any one of the 3 fitting in well and possibly Millsap and Al Jefferson who have both made good money I could see taking a paycut to have a chance at a ring.

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This would be the only reason you keep Lowry. You must be CONFIDENT that he can maintain his level of play enough to get him that hype. He'll have to elevate the rockets enough to get into the all-star game or the playoffs and then do something spectacular there. Then you'd have to hope it's enough for other all-star players to want to come here.

That's a lot to hope for when you know players want to play with Deron. This goes far beyond how good you think a player is and what value he has with respect to his contract. If Deron gives you a chance at Dwight he's already more valuable than Lowry.

14. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I would take Deron Williams in a heartbeat.

15. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I still don't understand. HOW do you end up with Dwight Howard, even with Deron Williams?

17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Williams to Houston? must be a slow day...

won't happen and there is no need...Lowry can do the same things for much less

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

that's the problem...gasol and nene would have been great bait, but now we just have to hope DH wants to come here bad enough to try and force orlando to do the trade. then we'd just send a crap load of young guys,cash, picks, etc...

19. Asian Sensation

Secure at what? Secure at being mediocre?

A team with Lowry as the best player will always hover around .500

We need to focus on getting 1 superstar and then worry about landing the second. You can't get another without having 1 first.

20. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

If what you're saying is true (it's not) then NJ would never consider trading him to us so all this talk is irrelevant.