1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Aeros relocating?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Beavis Stiffler

This is not a good time for hockey fans with the NHL Lockout still going on and now the Aeros possibly moving out after this season:(

http://thethirdintermission.blogspot.com/2012/05/things-that-make-you-go-hmmmmmmm.html
    I'm guessing Reliant Arena (formerly known as The Astroarena), The Berry Center (Cypress, TX), or Merrell Center (Katy, TX) will be the options if they don't play at the Toyota Center before the 2013-2014 season.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If the Aeros leave Houston, won't that open the door for the NHL?

3. Poloshirtbandit

Unless the team has a Dynamo-like start here, I can't see an NHL team lasting here long term.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Merrell Center would rock.

5. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Cough cough.. look how old that article is..althought there is no lease update the Aeros have the 5th largest attendance in the AHL.

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The Berry Center? I'm not too sure about that. Barker-Cypress is an absolute nightmare after football games.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

In all my years of living in Houston, I've only met 1 person who was a fan of the Aeros (or hockey for that matter), but that's because he was in my hs hockey team.

8. Hicklander

Make me #2..

9. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I think Houston deserves NHL. We are the fourth largest city. But I don't have problem with Aeros staying here, but I think it's time to move on and try to get NHL team.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If they do stay in Houston, this would be my preference too.

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Are the Aeros any good? I honestly have no idea.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Do we have enough hockey fans in Houston to fill up Merrell Center, at least 50% throughout the season?

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Merrell Center seats 7,600. Aeros average 7,324 this year.

14. plee

plee Member

Yes...It's actually better to watch in person. Pretty affordable to catch a game or two for the high rent Yoda center.

15. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times, being there in person improves no sports more than it improves hockey.

I can't watch more than ten minutes of a hockey game on TV, but in person, it's a ton of fun.

I'm not a season ticket holder or anything, but I would be pretty bummed if the Aeros left town. Going to their games is kind of a fun thing to do on a random night when there isn't much else to do.

16. Hicklander

2nd in the South Division at 16 and 10.. Perennial playoff team and made it to the finals 2 years ago. A couple of nights ago they put 10k in the Toyota Center. I must say the Aero's fan are much more exciting and laid back than the suits at Rox games. If they would move to the Merrill Center I certainly would stop going that is too far for me. It would be quicker for me to get to the Ford Center than to the Merrill Center

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

For me, I disagree. There are way too many stoppages in hockey. At least while watching at home, I can get up and go to the restroom or get a beer. Also, I don't like hockey enough to enjoy minor league hockey. That's just me, though.

18. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Disagree. In my bandwagon hockey days I figured similarly that Houston being a large city "deserves" a NHL team, but its false reasoning.

The fact is hockey would probably be the 5th most popular sport in the city (if that) behind pro football, basketball, baseball, and soccer. It's sad but I bet the Dynamo would consistently outdraw hockey for regional and culture specific reasons. There's pretty much no hockey-culture in the city.

Plus, outside of Dallas, pro hockey has been almost a total failure in the South. Phoenix, Atlanta, Florida are all teams that have moved or contemplated moving for poor attendance reasons.

If the NHL were actually zoned properly, there would be 15 Canadian teams and 15 American teams.

19. Hicklander

Aeros home games will now be broadcast on CSN Houston...
    EWS: Comcast SportsNet Houston will broadcast at least six Houston Aeros home games.

All games, originating from Toyota Center, will air the day after each game is played. The first game features the Aeros taking on the Texas Stars and is set to air on Saturday, Jan.5, at noon. Aeros radio voice Joe O’Donnell will provide the play-by-play for each game.

Aeros Hockey on Comcast SportsNet Houston
    Jan. 5 vs. Texas – noon
    Jan. 6 vs. San Antonio – noon
    Jan. 14 vs. Charlotte – 8 p.m.
    Feb. 2 vs. Texas – noon
    Feb. 5 vs. San Antonio – noon
    Feb. 24 vs. OKC - TBD

20. Hicklander

http://thethirdintermission.blogspo...ing-kind-of-warm-in-here-update.html?spref=fb

Last week, we had a few people tell us that they read in the Chronicle that the Aeros were leaving Houston and that it was a done deal. There were also a few people that mentioned this to us in the comments section of one of our home game stories from last week.

And we were like, "What the ... ?"

So we did what any normal person would do - we Googled it. It took awhile, but we finally found the Chronicle/Aeros reference literally buried in a Ken Hoffman column. Whether or not you don't like him does not matter. The guy is random, which really makes the following lines so curious coming from a column entitled "Pethouse Pet of the Week: Jan. 13:"

(Ideal home: Where will the Houston Aeros play next season? Toyota Center is just too big for the small crowds the Aeros draw. They need to find a more "intimate" ice rink. I'm betting there will be an announcement soon)

Come on Scooby, help us out!
    Now it is no secret that the Aeros lease with the Toyota Center is up after this season. They signed a 5-year deal after the 2007-08 season, and that comes to an end when this season is officially over. I think many people are so nervous because this is by far the longest its ever gone to renew the deal.

The Aeros and Wild are on the record from last year as saying they have done and will do everything they can, within reason ($$$$$) to keep the team in Houston. I believe them based on who I have talked to, but I also understand that when business comes to business ... well, money always wins.

So what about the odd/random comment in the Hoffman column? Them staying or going has nothing to do with the size of the rink ... they have been here for 19 years, and have consistently been in the top 10 in the league's attendance recently.

The line that sticks out to me is "I'm betting there will be an announcement soon ... " Someone told Hoffman something, and this thing is about to get really interesting either way.

In the summer, I thought there was an 80 percent chance the Aeros would stay, then it went down to 70 around training camp. When we got past Thanksgiving, my faith dropped to 60 percent. Now, I am afraid the Aeros will be forced out of Houston. I think there is only a 20-percent chance the Aeros (as an affiliate of the Minnesota Wild) sign another multi-year lease agreement with the Toyota Center.

I really do think the Wild wants to keep them here, but as we've said on this blog several times before ... it has to make sense financially. And I don't think it does any more.