1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Exciting was Eddie Jones?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TISNF, Jun 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. TISNF

TISNF Member

When it comes to NBA players of the 90s, this guy was one of the better, more athletic ones. He never quite reached into true star status (I do recall vague ceiling comparisons to Jordan), but man was he exciting to watch, both in LA and Miami.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8UIwfpy1gtU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. arjun

arjun Member

lol on the dunk on the rockets....sam mack goes "i got jones" 2 sec later...jones goes past him and dunks on hakeem haha

3. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

damn shame they dumped him and elden campbell for Glen Rice....Eddie,Kobe,Shaq,Elden would have won the title anyways

4. David Stern

David Stern Member

Been a minute and I might be wrong but I think they moved jones cause they wanted Kobe to take on a bigger role

5. IBTL

IBTL Member

Good one...

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long while. Big weird head ass.. A thread about scrubs you haven't thought about but remember -might be in order..

There should be a what are they doing now special. With all the crap reality it might be fun to see a 15 minute piece on what keith van horn or abdul rauf is up to.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

The commentator that says "slaaaaam dunk" sounds like one of the current Clipper commentators.

7. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly, Prime Jones was better than 2nd season Kobe. I think there was even a year when Kobe started the allstar game but not on his own team.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Eddie was a good guy that wasn't Kobe. He had speed, athleticism, and decent bb IQ. But he didn't really rise after he got dealt to the Heat for near max money.

Oh my, oh my....

RIP Chick Hearn.

Eddie and Kobe played the same spots. It was clear he had to go after the 3rd Utah sweep/flameout.

Elden was an overpaid idiot. Of course, Shaq would b**** about getting support during and after he was gone.

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

He definitely wasn't in MJ's class...think Andre Iguadala.

10. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

He was a border line All star Shooting Guard. Shaq couldn't win with him though

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

They should've stuck with that team, I even think they should held on to Van Excel a little longer that team would've been near unstoppable, if they had gotten Phil Jackson a little earlier. Those teams still had Horry, Fox, and Fisher. I doubt San Antonio or Utah would've ever beaten those teams.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

. . . but he did, eventually. ;)

13. izeroi

izeroi Member

Loved watching him play when he was in the league

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Elden's head reminded me of the planters peanut guy.

15. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Even before Shaq and Kobe came along, that Cedric Ceballos-Eddie Jones-Nick Van Exel group was pretty exciting. That was a short-lived combination, but they were a pretty killer offensive squad.

16. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

nope. He was traded to Memphis for James Posey who helped them win a title

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yep, though there was talk of him being an actual replacement for Michael Jordan through the draft, he worked out for the Bulls and for a time was believed to be headed there.

Even later on, when Pippen was grumbling a little bit, Krause was entertaining offers for him. And one had Eddie Jones and Van Excel going to Chicago for Pippen.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/1997-11-30/sports/18051936_1_scottie-pippen-lakers-jerry-krause

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/tex_winter
    http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/tex_winter?page=2

18. dischead

dischead Member

He was better than Kobe

19. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

on disappearing in the playoffs yes

20. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I remember its was fun watching him and a young kobe bryant. I dont think they would have won a lot, but it was entertaining.