1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D-Mo to play in Italy for the duration of the lockout, perhaps through next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jun 30, 2011.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7634890.html

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I consider this good news assuming he doesn't get sucked into a long term contract situation.

Hell, maybe somebody will post Benneton Treviso games on the board and we'll have some basketball to watch during the lockout - somebody to root for.

1 person likes this.
  3. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

At least It gives rocket fans a reason to watch euro basketball..:grin:

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

this good news at least he will still be developing and playing ball as long as he doesnt get hurt this is def good news for the rockets.

5. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

He doesn't pass or defend. Can he get off the bench ?

6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

haha oops I thought D-Mo was referring to Mo Williams..for some reason..hahaha

7. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Let's just pray he doesnt get hurt or decide to fran vazquez us

8. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I think this is a great idea.

In fact, I think ESPN or some other network needs to start airing Euro League and other international league play while the lock out is going on. That would be so cool. And maybe if ratings were good enough it would cause the NBA owners to soften their stance with the players some and help end the lockout.

Or, if those networks start paying those international leagues to play their games, then maybe those teams can start employing the locked out players...

or...maybe I'm a pie in the sky idealist who happens to like basketball too much...

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm thrilled by this news, and I'll bet the Rockets selected Montiejunas with exactly this scenario in mind.

When the lockout ends and teams begin their 50-game season, it looks like Morris and Parsons will be the only (drafted) rookies on this team.

And that's a good thing. :)

10. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

The NBA has told players it could void contracts of players injured while playing during the lockout, but rookies are not under contract.

“I still have a contract with Benetton,” Motiejunas, the 20th player taken in the NBA Draft last week, said. “They told me if I want to leave in the middle of the season when the team that took me, Houston, wants me, they would let me go. That will be no problem.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its a good sign that Treviso has communicated that Donatas can leave the team half season even though it is unlikely the case. Shows that both sides have had good communication throughout the draft process.

The only negative thing that can happen is him getting sucked into a long term contract overthere, but it seems like he is already showing some loyalty to Houston.

If he can play another season over there it will only help his progression for next season. I would have liked to see him play this year, but it looks like we arent going to have much of a season this year.

-On a side note, I would love to see, not just the euro players, but big name players like Lebron, Wade, Kobe, etc. take a short contract overseas to play next winter, even if its just to play 15 minutes.

Of course the high earners wont want to risk their NBA contracts because of injury, but look at it this way... They are going to play basketball in the next 6 months, some way some how... they might as well get paid for it. I say some of them take the risk, play a few games, increase the NBA brand, and rub it in Sterns face.

12. BimaThug

Supporting Member

NBA players currently under contract cannot play overseas without a letter of clearance. They won't get one.

13. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

“I think it is better to play with some team, to get more minutes and more experience, more toughness, more energy and more toughness, than to come here and see how others play.”

Some might say that is redundant, I think he just really wants to be tough. I like that. :grin:

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

interesting... Ive heard alot of players, even Kobe say that they will try and play overseas due to the lockout... Can you elaborate a little bit more on the rules and if there is a chance at all for certain players other than draftees to play overseas on a short term deal?

Or were they just talking out their you know what?

15. BimaThug

Supporting Member

FIBA is the governing body for basketball among leagues. There is reciprocity among leagues that you can't sign a player under contract in another league without a letter of clearance from FIBA. That's why foreign players have to work out buyouts with their clubs. FIBA will likely not approve any NBA player still under contract from signing overseas. For instance, what if the lockout ends? The instant it ends, that player is under contract in two leagues at once!

At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works. I'd be lying if I said I was 100% certain on this.

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

Aww Lebron was going to go win a win a ring in Europe.

1 person likes this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

D-mo will continue 2 get better and better can't wait to see him play with us so we can see d12 trying 2 catch him lol

18. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

thats awesome news.

so is the d-league season gonna happen this year? or is it in lockout too? itd be good for our other rookies to get some burn too.

19. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

FIBA has never in its history honored any contracts which are not being paid by the team. Including those from the NBA, which is what a lockout (not a strike) falls under. FIBA certainly will not block an NBA player from signing in another league, when he is not getting paid by the choice of his NBA team.

20. Chris Jent MVP

yea ... how can they say that they are under contract, when the contracts are not being honored ??? seems like the contracts are temporarily voided in that case ... so they should be able to sign a new contract with a different league, with the caveat that the new contract will be terminated the same second that the lockout ends.