1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Talking NBA Draft, Rockets with Chris Monter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Can't wait!

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Does Chris Monter serve as an auctioneer in the off season?

Poor Clutch was even talking faster and faster toward the end.

#3 thumbs, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  4. basketballholic

Mel Kiper's twin?

5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Yeah, his cell is fading in and out, hard to hear at times

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the podcast Clutch, I always like listening to Chris Monter.

A couple of things I want to touch on. Firstly, on Chris's concern for Oladipo. Now of course I'm a bit of an IU homer, but after watching every game all three years he was at IU, I feel I can be objective.

Oladipo's work ethic and drive are second to NONE. Vic wants to improve on everything he does, never satisfied. This includes his shot, ball handling, defense and so on. VO will continue to get better, he has that it factor that a lot of guys just don't have.

So for Chris to say it scares him because he is a junior and only did it for one year, is not all that fair. How about he worked hard to improve as a player and he has. Now, to worry about Vics outside game, is fair, he still needs to improve and I'm under the opinion he will due to being in the gym year round. Why not be afraid of Noel when he was average this year and didn't play well for the whole year? I'm just using Noel as an example, there are many guys in this years draft you can use that are being drafted solely on potential.

On what Chris said about Royce White; is it me or has RW just completely snowed everyone he's come in contact with to get what he's wanted? Royce one on one seems to be very charasmatic, but it just seems like when it's time to go to work he's all games. Rockets of course are being careful, hopefully they find a way to dump him.

1 person likes this.
  7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

thumbs/Fullcourt

He's actually always been a little hard to hear. I've always thought of him as kind of a young sounding Lou Holtz. Great guy, though. Love his stuff.

8. basketballholic

I agree with you on Oladipo. And I think his shot is going to get loads better. He's got decent form. His biggest problem is he is so athletic and used to taking it to the rim and he jumps so high that it disturbs the consistency of the mechanics of his jumper. I think Oladipo is going to have a better career than MKG by far. I think he's a higher iq baller than MKG with just as much work ethic as MKG.

Oladipo may become the best player in this draft class. If I were Cleveland I'd take him #1 and then trade down for more assets and still get my man Len at either 3,4, or 5.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm with you, mikol13, in that I'm a huge fan of Oladipo's game. I love his potential on defense. In fact, it was you who really first introduced me to his prospects since you knew his game so well and I've been a big fan since (good thread for reference on Victor Oladipo).

But I did think Chris made an interesting point about players that weren't highly recuited and then suddenly blowing up. He's mentioning the odds there, but I think he just wanted to keep the hype in perspective. His stock has soared over the last few months. I don't think he'll disappoint because his work ethic, as you point out, is so high and he's not lacking athletically or physically (maybe a hair shorter for a two). That's a winning combination.

For those who haven't seen him play, here are some highlights.

[youtube]B-LhO197n9Q[/youtube]

It's true... I don't know if it is intentionally misleading media, but it's clear that he has a deep sense of entitlement as far as being a basketball player is concerned. That was pretty evident, from what I hear, in practices he took part in to start the year. Sort of a "Why practice when I'm not even playing?" mentality. When his option is not picked up, I wonder if a light will turn on.

10. skyline07

skyline07 Member

I love these ty clutch

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOL, thought the same thing. Monter sounded a lot like him and man does he talk fast!

Great podcast Clutch!

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I expect that in a few years a new, determined Royce will try to return to basketball to restart a career he let go by the wayside.

I wonder if DM the GM were to release RW would anyone be willing to take a flyer on his talent? Or, at what price might someone?

I do believe from the neck down this man is a heckuva player. Shame he lacks Leonard's or Oladipo's or Haslim's etc tunnel-vision focus on what he needs to do to be all he can be on the court of basketball.

13. 713

713 Member

Hey Clutch you mind sticky these podcasts. I love listening to them when I workout but sometimes it gets buried in all the threads.

14. GageD

GageD Member

I like him saying Robinson would be a lottery pick in this draft but ccan we get a lottery pick for him??

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Mike Muscala that was talked about in the podcast for 34:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ONPdhlomI8g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thomas Robinson wouldn't be a lottery pick, he would be the clear cut number 1 pick...

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Out of college, or now?

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I still like Thomas Robinson's potential. His physical tool set is still there. I can't imagine why you'd give up on a guy like this already. He can be a 10 rebound a game guy without much improvement. I think our hand is forced by great goods. Like a guy that gets 14/g.

19. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

No. Lets say he'd be the 11th pick. If my team has the 11 pick, why don't I just pick the best guy available and pay him at the 11th pick scale rather than trade him for a guy with one less option year left and paid at the 5th pick scale?