1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets re-assign Terrence Jones to the RGV Vipers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Again.

Rockets Re-Assign Jones to the Vipers

HOUSTON – Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey announced today that the team has re-assigned forward Terrence Jones to Houston’s single-affiliation NBA D-League partner the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

Jones (6-9, 252, Kentucky) has averaged 19.2 points and 11.0 rebounds in nine games (nine starts) with Rio Grande Valley this season. Re-assigned to the Vipers on Dec. 26 and recalled on Jan. 14, Jones helped Rio Grande Valley pull to within a half game of first place in D-League’s Central Division. Through Jan. 13, Jones stood second in the D-League in rebounds per game (11.0) and ninth in the league in scoring average (19.2). In his rookie campaign with the Rockets, Jones has averaged 3.1 points and 1.6 rebounds in 11 games with Houston in 2012-13.

2. tokenbk

tokenbk Member

Seriously, there should be one big thread for Terrence Jones being called up and sent down.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This is a joke.

What, did a trade get delayed or fall through? Are they stashing him so no one will trade for him?

Did they really need him in town for ONE game?

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Just funny to me that Patrick Beverley is with the team, but Terrence Jones is back to the Vipers.

Probably going to be this way until the trade deadline.

5. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

Jones played good earlier on and this is how the rockets treat him, i wouldn't be surprised if he loses loyalty towards the organization.

Kelvin Sampson played his players who were performing and sent the ones under performing to the bench.

Someone tell McHale this is 2013 and not the middle ages when he played where a rookie has to be hazed and earn his dues behind under performing veterans just because he is a rookie.

6. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Lol, c'mon Morey quit playing with his emotions.

7. pnr

pnr Member

Free Tjones! He has SO much potential and I believe he can be the future PF of the team. This was supposed to be a developing year. My god, McHale needs to play more players or the starters will be dead by next month.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Are you sure that Jones isn't just some drug mule for the Rockets?

1 person likes this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Was about to give a 2012er crap for bumping an old thread.

Poor T-Jones. I hope he's taking these constant moves in stride.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Could have been for a number of different reasons. This will be unpopular here, but it also could be because Terrence asked if he could just go back if he wasn't going to be playing in the next couple of weeks.

Who knows, also could be that the Rockets are talking to someone that has interest in D-Mo, and wants to see him get minutes if they are going to make a deal involving him in February. Even then, we wont know until February, and thats IF the deal actually goes through.

Again...Who knows... I stopped trying to guess a long time ago about the Rockets and D-League assignments. Most of the time, it just has to do with conditioning and staying sharp instead of getting fat sitting at the end of the bench every night, and sitting on a runway for hours waiting for the plane to take off to Cleveland.

Thinking about it more, if I had to guess, the logical argument seems most likely that it has to do with the long road trip the Rockets will be on for the next week more than anything. Since they were in town for the past few days, maybe he was able to come up, and have a practice or two with the coaches in Houston. That seems to be the most reasonable explanation.

11. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Jones' relationship with the Rockets is like a confused teenage couple breaking up one week and getting back together the next.

12. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I think it's just the new rule that players can be assigned to DLeague multiple times per season, and Rockets is taking advantage of it.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I don't understand the problem here?

We have 3 games in 4 nights, Jones is NOT a part of the rotation, there are things that they have him working on, and so he gets sent to the D-League affiliate to work on those things.

When we have a few days off between games, he gets brought back up so he can take part in full practice and tends to stay for a game day before being re-assigned.

Odd how the assumption of most people in here is that T Jones is "confused" by what is happening.... How do you know if he's confused? Has he told you that?
    Just because you aren't privy to conversations between the organisation and Jones does NOT mean they are not happening.

My guess is that the organisation is high on Jones and won't trade him. Therefore he plays D-League while the 'tradeable pieces' play NBA (Patterson, Morris, DMo)

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He's getting paid but

they're really toying with his emotions :eek:

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I don't know if that was directed at what I said or not, but I was joking.

16. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

he was shooting around at the beginning of the game...then i did not see him again

17. eman

eman Contributing Member

Are we calling Whiteside up?

18. jacoby

jacoby Member

It probably comes as no surprise to him anymore. I'm sure Morey told him when he called Jones up the other day that it was just to get practice time in while RGV is on break, and he will be back with RGV when they play their next game.

19. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

I hope he has a good frequent flyer plan; and I hope Lin has been giving him some good advice on perseverance and things like that.

He won't be buried for long.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, might as well put Royce's bus to good use.

1 person likes this.