1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Evidence: Timeouts hurt scoring

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ArtisGilmore, Feb 21, 2012.

1. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/37405/evidence-timeouts-hurt-scoring

Very interesting numbers and conclusion. I think there is some merit to this study.

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i think the fact that players are usually pretty tired by the end of the 4th quarter has something to do with it. also as the game goes on defenders begin to adapt to the opposition as the game goes on, but i do like the part about timeouts benefiting the defense more.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I general agree that timeout helps the defense more than the offense. If you have smart players on the floor, you might as well let them play rather than call a timeout.

The only time you would want a timeout is when you want to stop the clock and advance the ball to mid court.

4. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

but it's also very exciting, when the last minute of the 4th quarter in a close game can turn into 10-15 minutes of pure 'holding your breath' excitement

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

maybe now the defending team will call timeouts.

Really there is no way to remove timeouts from the game, either way one side will call it. Maybe just remove them altogether if that is the point.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Didn't Rick Berry once suggested that the timeouts should be abolished and the coaches have no participation in the game? Kind of like soccer. That would be interesting IMO.

But he also suggested the rim be heightened and Shaq be given clown shoes to take away his advantage.