1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Brian Hoyer named starting QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Huh? You do realize that part of the reason for their franchise situation is consistently whiffing on QB's taken with higher picks that require a 3-5 year evaluation period. This happens with most teams that have a first round QB fail on them... happened with the Texans as well.

If you'd rather have been a fan of the Titans over the last 9 years simply because they've gone through multiple young QB's/coaches (and still may not have the answer), so be it.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Don't think I ever mentioned his accuracy at any point... not sure if its better or worse than Mallett's. But if BOB feels he has a better grasp of what to do with this offense at the line, that's likely why he's getting the first shot.

3. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Please, for all that is holy, do not infiltrate the Astros' forum. It's too late for this one.

The NFL is nothing like the NBA, where 1 blue chip draftee can alter the fate of a franchise.

The Texans have a solid team, no matter who is at QB, as evident by being in contention for the playoffs at the last week of play last year, while shuffling through 4 QBs.

It is absolutely hilarious to see all the hand-wringing over such an innocuous decision in terms of how THIS team is built.

BOB went with his opinion of the best of what was available. He even states that if it is not working out, he will make the switch sooner rather than later.

Mallett knows this and will be ready, just like he was last year.

Get over it and get ready to root for all of the other positive attributes (Watt, D, Wilfork, D, etc.).

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I meant similar in that they are both average QB's. Neither one is really any better than the other. Which is why I don't really think it makes much difference who starts.

How has it not worked out? Has the 2015/2016 season already been played and I totally missed it? Or do you consider going from 2 wins to 9 wins in one season "not working out?"

I'll take the Texans last 5 seasons over the titans last 5 season any day of the week. And so would just about any other sane football fan.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Whiffing on QB actually (especially first rounder) takes more risks than so called "drafting the best player available".

And hence why the current Titans coach is their 3rd one during that span.

Taking a CB while he won't even be considered to step into the starting lineup to contribute right away is a very safe pick, just like many of those picks we had the last few years.

This kind of choice is typically made to keep your job rather than go for it and do what could be the best for this franchise.

Sometime you just need to take some risks.

I do not agree that the Texans only would like to take the "good guys" rather than taking someone with character issues. Instead, the risk they are not willing to take is not with the players, but rather related to their jobs.

Its too early for anyone to say if Derek Carr will be a bust or decent QB yet. But when the main consideration of passing him is because the fear of the backlash and eventually threat to the jobs of the decision makers - due to his brother's early failure in this town, then this is a problem.

Just because other teams took a gamble on the early rounds QB and they did not pan out, it doesn't mean the Texans drafting decisions are the correct ones for this franchise especially when you are really not good at talents evaluation.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, you admit you'd rather have been a Titans fan for the last 5-10 years than a Texans fan? Because they take more risks (that often don't work out and simply set the franchise back further)?

Ok.

I really am not sure what you're arguing. If the Texans made the exact same moves as the Titans... with the same expected results/outcomes... you're saying that would be better?

8. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Look, you sound like a rational guy and more than often will base on facts to make your points, I respect that.

But your argument of "if you don't like to be a Texans fan, be my guest and switch to a Titans fan" is just weak.

I ain't arguing for anything at all.

The point I want to make is : the problem is not whether we should start Hoyer or Mallet, it really doesn't matter to me, the difference isn't much nor would it matter.

The real issue is : why we would end up with a decision to choose between Hoyer and Mallet?

Until this real issue will be addressed, the next discussion could be whether we should start Savage or John Doe, it will be just as pointless as the current one.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And that's fine to question or have an issue with that... just don't use the Titans as an example of some model franchise that is taking risks and pushing the envelope to contending as if THAT is the perfect solution. They've run not only through multiple coaches but multiple GM's in that time-span... they are no closer to building something/contending now than they were when they bottomed out after the VY debacle. If their fan base had a choice of alternate sports teams/entertainment (which apparently they don't in Nashville), that franchise would be the worst supported in all of sports right now.

Evidently, we're still discussing the decision not to take a QB high last year.... despite none of those QB's being guaranteed to be a franchise savior any more than they're guaranteed to be a future Hoyer/Mallett type.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In the eyes of some, Teddy Bridgewater was the next coming of Aaron Rodgers. I know this because they kept saying that nonsense day after day for months in the offseason leading up to that draft.

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I am forced to agree with you here although I am of the belief that the QBs from the 2014 draft don't necessarily have to be "franchise saviors" as long as they can become essential components of a winning team. The arrow is still pointed upwards for them whereas that is what is missing here with Hoyer (not young), Mallet (been in league 4 years now) and Savage (still learning to play QB). Maybe Savage will bust out, maybe not but currently, that is the ONLY possibility I can see for the immediate future as far as QBs go. Both Mallet and Hoyer just leave me with a numbing feeling of meh at this point.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure... but even with just one year of performances, the odds are that Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Carr and Jimmy G. go on to Hoyer/Mallett (or less) careers vs. becoming even just essential components of a winning team (and as I've said before, BOB probably only looked at Jimmy G. out of all of them as somebody who he'd have wanted).

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There are probably some lurkers here who would still advocate for Vince Young as being a quality QB.

Not that TB is anywhere close to that low level, but I'd be prepared to hear all about him for awhile (even if he does bottom out/fail).

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that TB is a higher level than VY, but his fans are on the same level. I really do hope Hoyer performs a lot better than I think he's capable because not only would it help the team greatly, it would shut those ridiculous fans up for a while.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

His team went to the Super Bowl three times; his team didn't go to the Super Bowl (but made the playoffs) 11 times. I would wager those fans don't view the era(s) as very fulfilling.

I don't even know what "contending for a title" means, really. Do I think the Texans are capable of winning three straight games in January? Sure. Why not?... We've all watched teams not appreciably better than this Texan team (if not downright worse) do it. (Baltimore, Arizona, the Giants twice - that awful Steelers team in '05).

But I think that's a silly expectation for any team in August. A season is just too long, brutal and unpredictable to set such expectations. And it almost guarantees you'll view the year as a disappointment since 94% of the teams will fall short of actually making the Super Bowl.

My only expectation is for them to be in contention for the postseason, understanding that a variety of factors - some beyond their control - can influence that path. If, like last year, they have a realistic shot in the season's final weeks - gravy. That's a successful season for me.

16. HillBoy

I think you're right on about Jimmy G although I wouldn't have included Manziel in that group all. I also believe that BoB would have gone for Bridgewater had his physical frame been more ideal (read taller). At any rate, it's all water under the bridge now and we are back to making the best of a bad situation...again.

17. HillBoy

My Lord and Master agrees with you about Teddy B:

[​IMG]

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why not? Leading up to the draft, people were clamoring for him to be #1! As it is, he was the second highest picked QB of them all.

He's a perfect example of the QB that gets drafted high regardless of all the legitimate questions surrounding him.

Yes, the situation here is not great... but its far from dire (which reading this forum, you'd be surprised its not).

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This is such revisionist BS.

Here's Ryan Fitzpatrick's career, prior to BOB: 60 completion %; 106 TD; 93 INT; 6.5 YPA; 77.5 QBR

And here's Hoyer: 57%; 19 TD; 19 INT; 7.2 YPA; 76.8 QBR

And Hoyer was actually pretty decent for a 9-game stretch last year (59%; 10 TD; 4 INT; 8.04 YPA; 90.4 QBR). I don't follow the Browns enough to have any idea why he was so bad the final five games (and he *was* bad) - but there's clay for BOB to mold.

I'd say we're standing in the exact same spot, with two notable exceptions: 1) Hoyer has 630 career NFL passes to Fitz's 2,599, which makes Hoyer far less of a known quantity and far less likely to be set in his ways; 2) a viable QB2 pushing Hoyer every single day.

If BOB can pull a 93 rating from a QB with a career rating of 77, why can he not do the same for a younger QB with almost an identical resume?

That's absurd, that Mallett is worth +2 wins a season - the guy's made two NFL starts in his career.

Do you (all of you) honestly think you know better/more than Bill O'Brien, George Godsey and the rest of this staff? If they thought Ryan Mallett was +2 wins better, he'd be starting. Go back and watch Hard Knocks, or listen to any BOB presser: it's fairly obvious he doesn't trust Mallett - too many mistakes; that's what he means when he says Hoyer was more consistent.

Hoyer may not win games - but he's not going to lose any.

1 person likes this.
  20. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

A big reason the browns fell apart last year was their offensive line got banged up with multiple injuries during the second half of the season.