1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Things to work on for next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kim, May 10, 2015.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Not trolling. Sure, I'm frustrated, but regardless of what happens in the rest of the series, there needs to be changes if management and ownership are seriously intent on winning a championship. Maybe this can reverse jinx it too.

Anyhow, I'll start:

• Acquire Shooters - Terry will not get better. Spurs have beavy of accurate 3pt shooter. Clippers have Redick, CP3, and Crawford. Golden State has the Splash brothers. The Rockets are one of the worst 3pt shooting teams in the playoffs. They need better talent in this area to compete with the best teams in the league. Also, every team below the Rockets in 3pt shooting in the playoffs are out of the playoffs. They are ranked 11th out of 16 teams.
    • Work all season long on defensive precision - Other teams have worked on mixing in the zone. The Rockets have not. It's great that they finally won a division title for the first time in over 20 years. I'm sincerely happy about that. But now, it's time to treat the regular season as experimentation and practice for the playoffs. They can't be the Nash era Mavs unless they only care about selling out and having fun. The Rockets have had spurts of good defensive execution, but as I've said here repeatedly, the level of defense (and overall play) was much higher in the Spurs-Clippers series. They were both reading scouting reports well and pre-rotating like crazy. The Rockets don't pre-rotate at all and don't rotate well consistently.

Anything else? (Oh yes, I know it's not over and wish very much that this thread will reverse jinx it)

1 person likes this.
  2. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Work on acquiring a new coach

3. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

3 and D guys around Harden & Howard

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

We need a secondary playmaker and some better 3 pt shooters.

Hopefully Lull comes over. Then Morey needs to grab 2 guys we can trust to hit a ****ing 3.

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Broken record.. We needed better shooters and better defense last year too

6. photojoe

photojoe Member

This is a tough question for me and something that I have thought of. The reason it is hard is because we will be almost assuredly be operating over the cap, making any significant moves pretty difficult. Also, I think it is very clear that the Rockets are not quite to the point of being championship contenders yet, but I do think that they are close. If I know Daryl Morey, he will probably try to figure out a way to get a third star or almost star first and then try to find depth as best he can after that (maybe LMA if he decides to become a free agent?)

We need better defense. Especially on the perimeter and from the 4 spot. If D-Mo and Beverley were healthy then that might not have been as big of an issue.

We need a PG. Ideally, a PG that could be our new starter. I love Beverley, but I think he would be a great candidate to come off the bench. Play his super high-energy brand of basketball for 15-20 minutes a game, go all out, and limit his minutes to hopefully help reduce the chance of him getting injured. I love the idea of Beverley and Brewer as our backup backcourt- both high energy, defensive minded guys. I don't know which PG's will be available. Rondo is definitely not the answer.

Maybe a backup C? I think Dorsey is fine as a third string guy, but he should never play unless forced to by injuries. Capela looks promising but the organization will need to decide if they think he can develop into being the answer there.

And please, please, please- for a team that emphasizes the 3 pointer as much as we do, can we please get a player that is actually, you know, really good at shooting 3 pointers?

7. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

why are we so high on sergio llull? is the guy even good, seriously someone let me know.

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Work on trading for Lowry or Lawson.

9. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

another future bust signing by morey

1 person likes this.
  10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Ty Lawson and/or LMA. Make it happen.

11. photojoe

photojoe Member

Ty Lawson and LMA?

I don't think that would be possible. And I'm not sure how a defensive backcourt of Lawson and Harden would work together.

But that would be sick.

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Do we draft a rookie with our pick or trade it for a veteran?

13. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Same thing I say. I can't believe people are obsessed over an international pg who avgs less than 10 points. Has NO SHOT whatsoever. He' would be lucky to even see the court with mcHale here.

We need shooters. 2nd option on offense who can create shots. Tougher players. We need guys who will throw a punch and not care. This team is very soft.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Let Smoove walk
    Sign Wesley Matthews
    Sign Sergio Lull
    Get Capella in the gym with Dream

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

IN:
    Ty Lawson (trade - 1st rounder + filler)
    Kevin Martin (2 yrs, $15M)
    David Lee (free agent - 3 yrs, $20M)
    JJ Barea (free agent - 2 yrs, $4M)
    Luis Scola (2 yrs, $4M)

OUT:
    Dorsey
    KJ McD
    Papa
    Prigioni
    Josh Smith

16. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

CJ Miles

17. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

i know 1 thing aobut llull, hes got big heart, the guy doesnt like to lose, hes a winner, and he plays with fire

18. kage111

kage111 Member

Would be nice to have an offensive system in place. Sure wish we had some of Ricks Adelmans old plays since it had us cutting in, finding open shooters, and in motion all day.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Planning a defensive juggernaut, I see. :grin:

20. chandlerbang21

Let all team option players walk upgrade PF and PG positions ASAP. Let Kobe teach harden how to "CARE" . revamp entire bench