1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwyane Wade Contract - Current Value?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yobod, Jun 13, 2014.

1. basketballholic

This is a very interesting scenario. Wade's contract value. (Kinda like Rudy Gay's contract value. Which is another discussion.)

And this has been at the root of my surmising that Wade may possibly take a minimum salary deal for a year so that James and Bosh can re-sign and they can also sign Melo.

Because Wade is 32 years old, the Over-36 rule does come into play in that there is really no incentive for Miami to sign Wade to anything more than a 4-year deal.

So James, Bosh, and Wade could come together and agree to take this approach: Treat Wade's free agency somewhat like restricted free agency, knowing that Wade is not going to get offered max money from any team over a 4-year deal....but simply to find out what max contract he could get on the open market. So, let's say some team comes up with 4 years/$50 million offer to Wade. James, Bosh, Wade could then decide together that they want to add Melo. Well, if Wade signs a deal for $12.5 million, that means the other 3 guys (James, Bosh, Melo) would only be able to sign for around $15 million each. Perhaps they would do that.

But....a more logical solution for all 4 guys would be for Wade to sign a minimum salary deal for one season. That would leave the other 3 guys able to sign deals starting in the $19 million range. They key would be Wade asking Riley if Riley will be willing to sign him to a 3-year deal in 2015 if he plays this next season at the minimum. Of course, Riley will probably say yes if Wade asks Riley if Riley would re-sign him to a 3-year deal for the max in 2015, which will be a starting salary somewhere north of $20 million most likely. But let's just say it's $20 million starting salary. That would be a 3-year deal with a partial guarantee in the 3rd season of approximately $7.5 million. That's the same $50 million that Wade would make on the free agent market by signing a 4-year deal elsewhere. But it's structured in such a way (one year contract at minimum followed by a 3-year contract at the max with partial guarantee on the last season) that Miami can swallow in Melo with the big 3.

Now....this requires 2 things:

1. a wink-wink agreement between Wade and Riley that is originated by Wade. Riley can't suggest it.

2. Wade taking the risk of playing one season at the minimum.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now....with all that being said about Melo....I really think all the Melo to Miami talk is meant to misdirect Miami's true intent. Anybody watching this series between the Spurs and Heat can see what Miami really needs is not Melo.....but.........rather a serious upgrade at the 1 and 5. Enter Pau Gasol and Kyle Lowry. (Or possibly Asik and Lin???) Miami needs a serious 5 that can allow Bosh to stay at the 4 (no place for Melo) and they need a serious point guard. Now...I realize this is the same combination (Lowry and Gasol) some of you are recommending for the Rockets. But the Rockets don't have their big 3 yet. Miami does.

So...the same scenario above would work to add Pau and Lowry provided both guys were willing to sign for around $8 to $10 million starting salary deals.

Oh.....and just to take that a step further...if the cap goes to $63.2 million and if Miami can clear out Norris Cole ($2 million salary) and ask Udonis to step out of his player option with an agreement to re-sign him at the Room MLE for a couple seasons then they would have the cap space to swallow.........Asik and Lin. Now..Asik and Lin are not Pau and Lowry...obviously. But they would be an outstanding fit. Asik would be a definitive starting center bringing big time D and boards and staying out of the way on offense and Lin would be a monster offensive upgrade for Miami at the 1 over anything they've had at the 1 for the last 4 years. And ..... the interesting thing about Lin and Asik is they are essentially 1-year deals. If Wade agreed to play at the minimum and Miami took in Asik and Lin then....the Heat would have the option to step back into the free agent market in 2015 (Marc Gasol, LaMarcus Aldridge, etc.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Now with all that said........if Miami loses to the Spurs (inevitable) then you tell me what Lebron should do to continue winning.

Lebron will be looking at an aged Wade with bad knees, a somewhat diminished Bosh who is now 30 and himself at age 29 fixing to hit his 30's. They could do this retool with Melo...who is also 30. Or they could possibly retool with Pau and Lowry...33 and 28 respectively....or possibly Asik and Lin...27 and 25 respectively (better youth)......

or

Look around at what teams are set up to win championships by simply adding Lebron and have the capacity to carve out the cap space to sign him. The short list would be possibly include Chicago (long shot) and .... and .... and .... Houston.

Guys...look at the possibility here. This is what Lebron is staring at.

Harden-age 24
    Bev - age 25
    Parsons - age 25
    Dwight - age 28

Now....look at Lebron in this lineup. Look at the defense. Teams have to stare Beverley square in their gun barrel when they bring the ball up. If they can chop up Bev...now they're dealing with Lebron and Chandler...and if they can get through all that....they're staring at Dwight waiting at the rim. Are you kidding me? That defense would vault to #1 next season.

What about the offense? A young Harden who attacks, attacks, attacks, and is a superior shooter to Wade....and about 7 years younger, playing pick and pop, with one of Harden or Lebron on the floor for all 48 minutes making plays. Parsons and Beverley on the wings.....with all day and night to catch, square, plant, and fire. And Dwight down low with double the space he ever had in Orlando.

We all know...it goes without saying....Lebron signing here makes us championship contender favorites....for the next 4 years.

Name me one more team that Lebron could possibly walk (with cap space) to that would be potentially better than what he could get here in Houston. Just one.

After you think about that for a while....tell me if you were Lebron and looking at Bosh and Wade and possibly Pau and Lowry or Asik and Lin or even Melo .... in Miami...versus looking at Beverley/Harden/Parsons/Dwight in Houston....be honest...tell me which team looks the strongest with Lebron in the lineup. Then look at the ages of the surrounding cast.

Now...you may feel that Miami with the addition of Pau and Lowry or Asik and Lin or Melo looks like a stronger cast around Lebron than the Rockets cast. You may indeed say that. But you can't say that without having to think long and hard about it.

There should be no question that Morey will chase Lebron if Lebron indeed goes on the market and Morey has takers for Asik and Lin. And there should be no question that if Lebron really wants to win a gob of rings for the course of his career that he will have to strongly consider the Rockets as his home for the next 4 seasons.

#21 basketballholic, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  2. yobod

yobod Member

The difference is that Nash is 40 so I don't blame him while Wade is 32.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Harden is 24 and already deteriorating on defense and physically.

[​IMG]

Houston should trade Harden for Love in order to attract Lebron.

4. yobod

yobod Member

No way Wade takes minimum, that would be idiotic to leave $40M.

5. basketballholic

That is not what I said yobod.

6. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I don't think wade believes he should make any less. It's gonna be fun to watch this dispute.

7. fmp087

fmp087 Member

I'm sorry, but playing once or twice a week averaging 19/5/5 playing next to the best player in the world does not constitute superstar level at all. I see you put superstar in quotes so no big deal. Personally, I just think wade isn't very good.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Player who turns 33 yo next season with bad knees and a huge ego --> pass.

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Wade has a huge ego? I think he's taken his reduced role in stride. Bosh too.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Reduced role is one thing .. .
    Reduced FUNDS is another

Rocket River

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I agree. He will take his $42 million over 4 years instead of 2 and chill out the last 2 years with a sweet buyout.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Will laugh hard if he gets anything close to max money.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ok, big ego... he didn't take giving up his team to Lebron in stride until the second season. Bosh was more than ready to give up being the focus of the offense, but yeah Bosh is a chill guy IMO.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Would look like a KOBE deal . .. . crippling

Rocket River

15. yobod

yobod Member

He'd only be 34 after 2 years with some juice left in the tank.

I think if LeBron leaves he should just take his $42 over 2 years.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Harden has warped feet, but then they're not as bad as Lebron's mutant feet

17. Neped

Neped Member

Funny how both players are regressing. Wade is because of wear and tear. Lin because he is who he is.:eek:

18. yobod

yobod Member

If I'm Dwyane Wade, I'd have a toughest time deciding...

- Have everyone hate my guts for 2 years $42M
    - A pat on the back for restructuring at 4 years $42M

I honestly think I'd opt in, let Lebron leave and try my best.

19. basketballholic

1 year deal at the minimum. Followed by 2 years at the max. With a 3rd year added on the back end to shovel him a few more guaranteed millions.

The secret to Miami staying together and adding parts is the 1-year contract.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Buying him out doesn't clear him off the cap.

The Heat would be stupid to do a deal with him that guarantees he counts $10 million on the cap for the next 4 years, particularly if they don't intend for him contribute at all after 2.

If Wade "retires" voluntarily he loses the remaining 2 years in your hypothetical deal.

If the Heat buy him out, they still have cap hits for the two years left on his deal.

Your scenario isn't viable.