1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Have League's Worst Attendance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Dec 22, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

According to the Chron, we have an anemic 11,964 per game average. The Laker game was our FIRST sellout of the year. Ouch.

------------------
    The way to use life is to do nothing through acting,
    The way to use life is to do everything through being. - Lao-Tzu

2. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

I wouldn't doubt it. Even against the Spurs we had a low turnout. I hardly heard any people cheering or anything during the starting lineups. That's sad.

------------------
    Francis out top, 9 seconds on the clock, he gives a no look pass to Cuttino Mobley, 4 seconds left, Mobley passes to an open Langhi in the corner with 1 second left! Langhi at the buzzer.......YES!!! How Sweet It Is!!

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We don't sell out because obviously the city is busy following the Titans.

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from Monkeys and Apes, then why are there still Monkeys and apes?

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

How come the fans suck?

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris fan club & Vice President of the Jason Collier fan club!

5. MManal

MManal Member

I feel the attendance is bad for 2 reasons:

1. There are a LOT of fairweather fans in Houston.

2. Les Alexander has completely overpriced the product for what reason I dont know. It still amazes me that he increased ticket prices after last season. It takes a majorly serious fan to drop $60 to sit in the lower prom. People just wont pay top dollar for a team that is hovering around .500 and considered either a low playoff or high lottery team.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

6. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yep thats true but most of the seats that are empty are the 10 and 26 dollar seats.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

7. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

8. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

I would have never guessed, especially after yesterday's game.

------------------
    Cuttino Mobley Online

9. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

I sure bet Fran gets a kick out of this.

------------------

10. alaskansnowman

I'd rather just sit at home and watch the game on Fox Sports Net anyway. Why would I want to go all the way to the compaq center when I can just relax, get something to eat/drink, watch a good view of the game with nice commentary, and most importantly, watch the game for free?

That's prolly how other people feel too.

------------------
    da ability to focus attention on important things is a defining characteristic of intelligence - alaskanSnowman

11. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

snow,

Still, nothing beats seeing a game live - more energy, excitement. The game is so much faster (both in length of time and speed on the court).

I'd take going to a game over TV anyday - unless I was sleepy. [​IMG]

------------------
    EZLN

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Size isn't the issue so much as luxury suites and increased revenues as well as fan amenities.

The reason for the high ticket cost is that the Compaq Center produces no revenue. Though they won't say it, it is very likely the Rockets are losing money every year they are there. Beyond poor season ticket sales and individual game attendance is the lack of revenue streams like luxury suites to compensate. Ticket prices will certainly level off if not go down in a new arena despite the nicer facility.

As for fan apathy, attendance is down all around the league. With the Rockets poor season last year, it is no surprise they are struggling.

------------------
    The way to use life is to do nothing through acting,
    The way to use life is to do everything through being. - Lao-Tzu

13. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Solution to low attendance, Lisa Malosky poster night. [​IMG]

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams fan club. Web site coming soon

atheistalliance.org

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The Rockets' have the league's worst attendance for the same reason the Astros always had terrible attendance and the Oilers never soldout unless Randall's bought up the remaining tickets. For the same reason the Oilers left town and the Rockets almost had to also if not for Jeff. For the same reason the Rockets couldn't sell out a 2nd round playoff game at home in 1994. Because Houston is the worst sports town in the entire country.

15. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

if ya ask me malosky wears WAY too much makeup.

Anyway, i think MManal was right. 94-97, pretty much al the games were sold out...why? because we were considered 1,2, or 3 in our conference. i think during the championship years, we were the second loudest fans in the league(Utah fans are CRAZY)

16. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Because Houston is the worst sports town in the entire country.

Right on freak. I don't know what it is, but (with the exeption of the rabid minority) Houstonians could give a rats ass about anything sports related. As a matter of fact I'm hard pressed to find anything this town will rally around.

------------------
    "Championing the cause of Junior Members everywhere"

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Let Garth Brooks come to town and they will rally around that S*** [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

18. Prime Time PLaya

I'm sorry to brake this too you all, but face it- Houston isn't a very good sports town. We let the oilers go,until the Astros got a new stadium they never got much support. Now this with the Rockets.

------------------
    Remember, players dont win rings, franchises do.Its not too late to jump on the bull's bandwagon. BULLS IN 2001!

19. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

"I'm sorry to brake this too you all, but face it- Houston isn't a very good sports town. We let the oilers go,until the Astros got a new stadium they never got much support. Now this with the Rockets."
    -Prime Time Playa

Maybe if the price of tickets wasn't so freaking ridiculous we'd go to a lot more games. I mean the rockets have like the second highest ticket prices behind the lakers.The lakers have the right to have high prices because they put a winning product on the court. OUR TICKETS ARE MORE EXPENSIVE THEN KNICKS AND BLAZERS TICKETS. I don't wanna spend like 55 bucks for only half decent seats to watch Cat and Francis try to take someone one on one in isolation and watch Dream try to show flashes of his old self for 25 minutes.THe summit is probably the most boring stadium in all of sports.The worst part is the prices will probably be even higher in the new stadium. So saying Houston is a bad sports town is WAY outta proportion.

------------------
    President of the Pete Chilcutt Fan Club.

20. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

LA and the Bay Area are still worse but Houston is #3 and rising.

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day