1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Channing Frye on Goran Dragic: "Unfortunately for the Rockets, they didn't make the right decision."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nrsair12, Apr 8, 2014.

1. cyruszhang

cyruszhang Member

true WORD

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So Beverley > Dragic?

Because Pat has had no problem breaking out.

1 person likes this.
  3. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

First of all, Dragic and Lowry are both better than Lin, at least for now.

Since we are playing the what if card, had we have kept Dragic, would Harden have played the off-ball shooting guard, aka Martin style, in the past 2 seasons?

Now given the fact that Harden is a super star, and he needs the ball in his hands, would Dragic have been as efficient playing the Beverley role - defense and 3 point shooting? Would he be happy?

Actually, I think Lowry would have been a better fit than Dragic.

4. mikus

mikus Member

Not scoring-wise no. But yes, Bev's defense > Dragic's defense. Bev is averaging 9.9 PPG on 8.5 FTA with 31 MPG. Sure, we say we don't need Bev to score. Well, then we don't need a Dragic to score either and his defense is nothing special.

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I always thought that's how they named their kids. :rolleyes: :grin:

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I've been hammering that point for a while now, yet some CFers insist on the lovefest with Dragic, and dont give a rats ass about Lowry. They piss and moan about the Lin fanboys and then act like Dragic's last year didn't happen, or that this is the only good season Dragic's ever had in his professional career. Some will declare him to be the best PG in the NBA and then mock Lin fans who think Jeremy should be starting. It's annoying. I don't care that some of the 99ers insist there are no LOHs. There are, they are Dragic fans who won't ever shut up about him.

7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I miss having a guard that doesn't make you pray to Jesus every time he shoots the ball because you're never confident that it will go in.

No matter what, pound for pound, shot for shot, as nice as he is, Jeremy Lin is NO Goran. It's not close. The people in this thread defending the "what-if" scenarios and the whole "we wouldn't have James" comments don't get it.

I was going to reply to a few posters with all the evidence that is available for intelligent Rockets fan, but then I remembered who I'm communicating with.

Just because you like a player more than another player doesn't correlate with their production and overall value as a player.

I hope Jeremy continues to work hard as a player, and I've gotta give a whole lot of love for Goran and the work he's done in my city.

1 person likes this.
  8. guanwangzhe

guanwangzhe Member

No Pat did not braking out, he just simply fit perfectly as defensive PG along side of Harden. Any PG would deferred to super star Harden when they play with him together.

9. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Agreed on most of those points, but Dragic is arguably the best off-ball point guard in the league. He needs the ball in his hands less than Lowry does. That automatically is a huge qualifier for fits next to James Harden.

The PB/JLin combo is an excellent platoon next to him when they are working in synergy I do admit. With Canaan's emergence as a shooter it could be even better.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Somehow Parsons defers to Harden to the tune of 17 points a game. Lin has the ball in his hands enough to have a positive impact and half of the time, he's not very good.

11. cbk41

cbk41 Member

He has a lot of external pressures that further create internal pressures that he's not ready to handle at consistent level yet. He'll learn eventually as he becomes more of a veteran ball-handler. A deep playoff run could help that cause immensely.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

No one whines about Lowry because he was a necessary casualty to get Harden. You're not getting James without that unique "it could be great!" draft pick they had from Toronto. On the other hand, they let Dragic walk and immediately signed someone else at the same position for more money annually (but no player option) in his stead. I'm not sure why that's even slightly unclear to some people.

Yes, the Rockets are a damn good team right now and management made several more right moves than this wrong one -- you've got to crack a few eggs to make an omelette -- but understand that most of the angry responses and excuses for this one-for-one "trade" are the same ones that OKC fans make about dealing away James Harden.

13. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

have you seen any phx games? he plays well off the ball when green or bledsoe are handling the rock

14. torocan

torocan Member

Parsons is assisted on 62% of his points.
    http://www.82games.com/1314/13HOU9.HTM

Harden is assisted on 34% of his points.
    http://www.82games.com/1314/13HOU6.HTM

Jones is assisted on 69% of his points.
    http://www.82games.com/1314/13HOU13.HTM

Lin is assisted on 44% of his points.
    http://www.82games.com/1314/13HOU4.HTM

Beverley is assisted on 54% of his points.
    http://www.82games.com/1314/13HOU3.HTM

Parsons doesn't have to defer because he isn't one of the players responsible for generating offense. He creates only slightly more of his own points than TJones (7%) and frankly is closer to Casspi (16%) and Garcia (12%) than Lin (18%) in terms of generating his own offense as a percentage of scoring.

Casspi is assisted on 78% of his points.
    http://www.82games.com/1314/13HOU11.HTM

Garcia is assisted on 74% of his points.
    http://www.82games.com/1314/13HOU7.HTM

15. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

well Morey was trying to free up cap space in 2015 so he didn't give Dragic the extra year
    who knew we would have gotten Haren and Howard?

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If Lin wouldn't pass up open jump shots, his assisted number would go up quite a bit. My point is Lin has plenty of opportunity to put up numbers shown by his good games, and he doesn't half the time. It's not like some games, he gets to touch the ball and some games he doesn't. He gets consistent minutes and touches. He's just not consistent.

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

You are leaving out a key fact...The assets we got for Lowry were critical in netting us Harden.

What did letting Dragic go net us?

18. torocan

torocan Member

I don't disagree that his numbers would change if he took more open shots, however how much that would change is purely conjecture. Unless you plan on doing a count of open vs potentially contested shot (also a bit subjective, but what can you do), we have no idea how much that number would move.

I just disagree with the idea of comparing Parsons (who isn't expected to generate offense) against a player that IS expected to generate offense.

19. torocan

torocan Member

A 3 year vs 4 year contract on the books, and stable cap space which you could anticipate and plan around in terms of acquiring free agents through either S&T or free agency.

Dragic was a pro for a VERY long time prior to leaving Houston, and even last year wasn't exactly lighting up the scoreboard.

If you'd looked at Dragic's history, would you have bet cap flexibility and planning on his becoming a future all star? After 9 years of already playing as a pro?

20. RocketFan4ever

RocketFan4ever Contributing Member

OK, havent posted in a WHILE....

But THIS made me freakin crack up laughing