1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeAndre Jordan is about to show the world he's on Joakim Noah's level...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Kwame, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Should the thread title be changed to DeAndre Jordan is about to show the world he's a lower-middle class man's Dwight Howard?

2. Kwame

DeAndre Jordan is leading the league in rebounds and field goal percentage. Only one other player has done that in the last 40 years and that was Dwight Howard. He's also top 5 in blocks per game at #4. People are mentioning him for MIP and DPOY. Another accurate prediction brought to you by Kwame.

3. clippy

clippy Member

He's definitely improved but DJ is an example where his stats are a little bit empty. That is, his FG% is obviously inflated because 95% of his shots are wide-open dunks or oops (the Tyson Chandler stat), and, for such gaudy numbers & praise, he really isn't that great of a defender yet (DPOY would be a joke). That said, I'm loving how Doc is playing him big minutes and the team is much better for it.

4. Kwame

To all the doubters and haters, we're heading into the final games of the season and DJ has proved that he's one of the best centers in the NBA. Still #1 in the NBA in rebounding, #1 in the NBA in FG%, #3 in blocked shots, and top ten in double-doubles, and is being considered for DPOY. All this from a 2nd round pick who's on a bargain of a contract.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

his eyes are too closed. Do not want

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

^ Is that your "pointy/sharp knees"?

7. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

1. noah
    2. dwight
    3. marc gasol
    4. deandre

meh, keep trying too hard to justify your failed thread though

8. slestack11

slestack11 Member

The Clippers are actually #6 in defensive efficiency this year. Not sure how you are calculating defensive efficiency to have Clippers ranked last:

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/defensiveEff

The Clippers actually were #1 in offensive efficiency and #1 in defensive efficiency for the month of March. DeAndre had a lot to do with it too.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

since when is $11M a year for 4 years a "bargain of a contract"?

DJ is good. Not denying that, but the only reason he's arguably playing up to his contract is because he plays with Chris Paul...put him on the Kings, hell, or any team without Chris Freaking Paul and he's NO WHERE near as effective.

his FG% is so high because literally all he can do is dunk...which is okay when you have CL3 controlling defenses....

10. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't be a hater. DJ is worth every bit of that contract and then some. He completely anchors a defense. Think of Tyson Chandler when he was playing for the Mavs, except DJ is even more athletic. At his age, $11 million per year is an absolute steal. DJ is only going to get better from now on.

1 person likes this.
  11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Eyes too close together? Whaaa.... Popeye says:

[​IMG]

12. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Doc Rivers told Deandre at the beginning of the season that they will not be running any plays to him on offense. His job is to grab boards and anchor the defense. Yes, he's leading the league in FG% because he only scores of alley oop dunks and put backs, but I don't see how CP3 is helping him lead the league in boards and third in blocks. The Rockets should do the same with Dwight, but Dwight refuses to admit he has no moves on offense. If the Rockets ran the offense through Harden, Parsons, and Terrance Jones, they would be more effective and maybe Howard would get more rebounds and blocks. As it is, Deandre is outperforming Dwight in both rebounds and blocks...the two most important categories for the center position.

1 person likes this.
  13. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Dwight Howard makes twice as much per season as Deandre Jordan. Is Dwight twice as good as Jordan? So either Deandre is a steal at $11M or Dwight is a god awful deal.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

I went to HS with DJ. Theres no bigger supporter for him than me.

But i'm not unrealistic about who he is.

Yes, he's a freak athletically. And yes, he is the anchor of good (but not great nor elite) defense.

But he's blessed and beyond lucky to play with CP3. DJ has zero offensive game, but he is able to surpass an embarrassing offensive stat line thanks to their up tempo offense and CP3's ungodly passing.

DJ is playing up to his contract right now. But he was FAR, FAR, FAR from that the first two years of his contract.

Regardless, I'm glad to see him doing well, about time he plays like a player who makes 11M a year play like it

15. awc713

awc713 Member

I do agree in part. I love Dwight, but he no doubt is closer to DJ than he is to Hakeem or Shaq. We should not run our offense through Dwight, and this is shown through his inability to dominate players he should dominate.

DJ being 3rd in blocks is very legitimate. He's a very good rim protector. His high board percentage is also somewhat of a byproduct of running an incredibly high-tempo offense where he gets to see, on average, more possessions, more shots, and thus more rebounding opportunities.

Take Omer for example last year. He averaged 11 rebounds a game for us last year, but if you put him on a slower paced team, he may only average -09 rebounds.

Never brought up Dwights contract, and I would agree that Dwight is vastly overpaid based on his production. But you do have to pay star players what star players are going to get paid. That doesn't mean I don't want or like Dwight. I love what he brings this team. Regardless, I see you're point, and it is valid...but I'm not just going to cherry pick certain contracts and players for comparison.

DJ is in a phenomenal system for the type of player he is. Good for him. I don't think he's as good as his stats suggest; I think the team around him have a big part of how he is portrayed

16. slestack11

slestack11 Member

I think Doc Rivers really made a huge impact on Deandre this season. I mean, he helped both CP3 and Blake Griffin improve their games too, but with Deandre, it was life changing. Vinny Del Negro kept focusing on things Deandre needed to improve and never gave him any opportunity in the 4th quarter because of his poor free throws. It made him question himself and always looking over his shoulder to see if Vinny has someone coming in to get him.

What Doc did was make Deandre feel important by telling him he is one of the team captains and is responsible for the defense. CP3 and Blake are the offensive captains, but he made Deandre the defensive captain. He really took on that role with a lot of enthusiasm and it has helped him with his confidence to a point where he's even making free throws in clutch situations. He's a work in progress and I think this offseason will focus on his post moves and incorporation into the offense for next season. If he continues on this growth path into next year, the Clippers may have to pay him max in order to keep him a few years from now. If it weren't for Doc instilling confidence, Deandre was headed to mediocrity but now he looks to be on his way to eventually be one of the elite players in the league.

17. Kwame

So a guy in the top 3 in 3 important statistical categories and #1 in two of them is just meh to you and this is a failed thread? Sounds like somebody has been drinking a heavy dose of haterade.

I made a prediction that DJ would be a high impact player at the beginning of the season and my prediction has turned out to be correct. There is nothing about this thread that has failed except for the doubters like yourself that have been proven wrong as a result of Jordan's exceptional play.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Deandre Jordan cost a fraction of Howard yet plays just like him if not better.. Ship Howard out.. :grin:

19. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i haven't been proven wrong at all. please show me where i said something that's wrong. you on the other hand said he'd be a darkhorse candidate for DPOY and that he's on noah's level which are both incorrect.

20. Kwame

You came into this thread trying to downplay the remarkable achievements of a player that nobody expected to perform the way that he has...well other than me.

Your response to a player that's leading the league in total rebounding, defensive rebounding, fg%, shots contested per game, third in the league in blocked shots, and top ten in doubles was "meh." There is no need for me to try to "justify a failed thread", because there has been no failures only success. The numbers speak for themselves. Despite your hate and doubt, he's one of the best centers in the league. That is an undeniable fact. Not to mention he's on a bargain contract.

The thread title was a metaphor, but you're still wrong. Rim protection and defensive rebounding are the two main duties of big men in today's NBA. Not only is he doing much better than Noah in both categories, he's #1 in the ENTIRE NBA in defensive rebounding as well as #3 in the league in blocks. Beyond that, their other numbers are comparable across the board. But, if you want a literal comparison, DJ is a cheaper version of D12.

DJ may not win DPOY, but he'll be in the running, which is what a darkhorse candidate is by the way. Thus, nothing I've said in this thread is incorrect. Despite small sample size, my analysis led me to make a prediction at the beginning of the season and I've been proven to be right as the regular season winds down.

For now, I'll leave you with this article.

DeAndre Jordan's improvement key to Clippers' new elite defense:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...rdans-improvement-anchoring-a-suddenly-lethal

#60 Kwame, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014