1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any chance Danny Granger is waived? (UPDATE: Sixers buying out Granger)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Feb 20, 2014.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Plain and simple, Granger is looking to strengthen his resume while playing for a contender.

That entails going to a team that doesn't have someone entrenched at the SF spot:
    Clips (Barnes, Dudley, Hedo) or Bulls (Dunleavy)

And/or, a team with an established championship culture that will effectively utilize his strengths without exposing his limitations.
    Heat (Birdman, Beasley, Haslem), Spurs (practically the entire roster), Mavs (Carter, Monta, Blair, Crowder)

Parsons leaves very little minutes at the SF spot and McHale doesn't strike me as a coach that can maximize what Granger has to offer.

2. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Has anybody here actually seen him play this season? he looked REALLY slow when I saw him. I'd rather have big baby, a PF that we could put in at 5 spot if we wanted small ball with our bench

3. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

yes Parsons get 35mins at SF, but Granger can also play some 4 when we go small, imo he could get +/- 20mins a game with us

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm not sure some of these posters have actually watched Granger play this year. He is not playing like Danny Granger. In fact, Jordan Hamilton is playing much better than Granger. Sure I'd kick the tires on a 1-yr deal this offseason, but I don't think he helps us this year.

5. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

of course he is not the Granger that averaged 25ppg couple years ago, otherwise he would not have been traded and we would not be talking about a possible buyout, but i'm sure he will bring something to the team he'll join, and i hope it will be us.

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

This. As much as i love Jones and DMO, i would love to have a proven vet on the bench.

7. Play07

Play07 Member

he turned down nets & will sign with clippers today

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Guess the team is rolling with the younger guys as opposed to the names on the buyout marker.

Makes sense at some level. The team has played well of late, and it is not clear that any if the vets on the market is actually going to beat out a rotation guy for minutes-- and all of these new free agents will want to pick a spot where they are likely to play.

A SF like Granger and MWP might be useful if and when healthy and beat out Garcia/Casspi/Hamilton for minutes. However, they are obvious injury risks and these guys sulk if benched.

The rotation at the bigs and guard spot are likely more full. I don't see Glen Davis beat out Dwight/Asik/Jones/DMo for minutes right now and don't see any of the possibly available bought out guards (Ben Gordon) to be better than Lin or Beverley.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

That's not even close to being true. Granger certainly isn't that good anymore but don't pretend like Hamilton is better. Granger is A good 9th man. Hamilton is likely an inactive guy

10. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Whatever. We r not even ondanny's list!!!

11. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

if you want a slow old aging veteran that cant run the floor or defend well and requires the ball to be effective then yes, granger is your man.

12. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

All Apologies: I didn't know where to put this other than here, and I don't think I warrant a new thread. It's funny how on the night before the deadline, I'm hit with an epic fever that knocked me out long enough to see what didn't happen. Anyway, this is what I was told. Whomever sent me the nasty emails, please stop. I really was just sharing what I heard from good people. You can choose to not believe me, but don't send me such vitriol (even on Facebook). :rolleyes:

Here are some of the things I wrote that I couldn't be as blunt about.

Morey inquired about Rondo, but from what I was told (not discrediting King Drew) Morey was not interested in 3 things:
    1. Rondo's healing process and potential to be a locker room "cancer."
    2. Kris Humphries
    3. Gerald "Crash" Wallace
    *Ainge wanted the Rockets/ other team to take those guys an the salary.

From what I was told, Granger was one of Morey's targets. He was the "big brother" that wants more playing time. He's tough and would be a complementary Scottie Pippen.

We were close until Philly offered up a better package.

Flexibility referred to Danny's salary.

You can ask BimaThug about this one: I let him know in a message.

This was another reference to Danny, but I did know that we were speaking with Denver. (I'm from there, as is my friend whiteboy J-Smoov) We were actually looking at 2 bigs/tweeners:
    Jordan Hamilton (Gold-Nugs) Penny=1 Jordan wears number 1
    JJ Hickson was an additional target: He's had some great games lately, under the radar, wears #7.

Again, this is just what I'm told, so don't kill me in your responses.

Small reference to Pacers/ Nugs.

This is what I do know: Morey is VERY big into having positive attitudes on the team. We have a band-aid over Omer that is going to become a scar eventually. Jeremy isn't thrilled with his role either, but knows the "big picture" is winning. Omer's big picture is his role and playing time.

Morey considered moving Omer a couple of places for guys that didn't have any "cuts" and were ready to be part of the Rockets brotherhood.

For those of you that care, sorry it took me so long to post. I've been really, really sick.

I guess I won't post things that I hear at this point, especially because this one didn't go through as it was supposed to. Well, I guess, Hamilton was partial, but there was no "home run" being discussed once the deadline got close. From what I heard, Rondo was barely a possibility.

I don't know how someone got my Facebook name or email contact, other than looking me up at my job(s), but it's ridiculous to get hatemail from fellow Rockets fans.

To those of you that are cool and true fans, I love ya'll.

8 people like this.
  13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I said 9th man. Granger had limited rotation minutes on a pacers team better than the rockets. Hamilton barely got off the bench for a bad Denver team

14. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Awesome stuff Codman, hope you get better soon! My thoughts:

-That's worse than what I was expecting (regarding the Rondo deal). I don't think its feasible to take all 3 but I had a feeling Ainge would be insisting on us taking Wallace. Good on Morey to stand pat.
    -I don't understand why we'd be after a trade for Granger though because it would mean sending a better player (Asik or Lin) out.
    -I imagine a deal for Hickson would have been something like Motiejunas + Knicks 2nd? His salary goes beyond 2015 though.
    -First I've heard Lin isn't happy with his role but cool he's willing to put that aside for the sake of winning.

15. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Thanks codman, repped for the commitment to CF's

anyways I just have 2 questions on knowledge you could of bad

Do you know the value morey was seeking for either lin or Asik at the deadline?

Two with the reports that NYK were into lin is this at all correct by your knowledge,mor was lin chased by any other team?

Thanks again

16. NotChandlerParsons

They've both been terrible this season. Either one might improve on the Rockets.

17. FeaR

FeaR Member

Codman, thanks a lot for your backstage infos.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Thanks for posting Codman! Don't listen to the haters.

19. Play07

Play07 Member

Thanks codman & who would've went to pacers in a granger deal, LIN or ASIK ?

20. basketballholic

Im pretty sure that was Lin and someone else. Several players were discussed to go out with Lin. I will verify I heard this back in December as part of the attempt to move Asik by December 20th.