1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hypothetical] Do The Right Thing or Do What is Necessary?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Jan 30, 2014.

?

Do the right thing, or do what's necessary?

1. Right thing.

20.0%
  2. Necessary Thing

56.7%
  3. Right... no, necessary... no, left, no right! I don't know! *my name is ima_drummer2k*

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. HEY! I ordered a cheeseburger!

23.3%
  1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[Hypothetical] Do The Right Thing (not Spike Lee) or Do What is Necessary?

A friend of mine posed the same question on Facebook, and I wanted to see if you guys (and gals) had different takes on situations:

Do the right thing, or do what's necessary? :confused:

Hypothetical situation:
    Your family is starving or in need of food. You find food in a food market store, and you know it belongs to someone because there's a receipt inside. The food is close to the store in relation to the street past the parking lot.

Do you return it to the store or the owner of the food, ["right thing"] or
    Do you take it to your starving family ["necessary thing"]?

My answer:
    Please read the question and, before reading my answer, post your own before viewing the spoiler
    I would do the RIGHT thing. I would return it. The food doesn't belong to me. :cool:
    TL;DR or *I'm not reading all that, SwoLy, screw you* version: Do the right thing or do what's necessary in a hypothetical situation?

Post your own questions if you were in the middle of a different situation.

#1 SwoLy-D, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I despise people that steal.

I am also a firm believer in KARMA. Return, I will.

3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

You should be banned from ever commenting on someone's grammar or coherency.

1 person likes this.
  4. BonziWellsGOAT

Take the food and then

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. SwoLy-D

OR, I can edit if someone finds me making a mistake to which I can own up and admit I made?

Thanks for pointing that out, sir. :cool: I have corrected myself, since I know I'm not perfect.

6. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

That spoiler was M Night Shyamalanian. Did NOT see that coming. :rolleyes:

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

WWJD

What Would Jeremy Do?

8. SwoLy-D

It was supposed to be just a hidden thing to not sway people towards an answer. I know it's not a surprise. :p

9. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Life or death (such as eating, health, shelter, etc), I would do the necessary thing (this is how I voted since food was used in the OP).

Otherwise, I like to think I'd do the right thing if it were strictly a moral situation.

Is finding cash on the ground a different situation? Technically, it is not yours and could be considered "stealing", but what would you do in that situation? I would take them money every time. It's not like the owner can claim it.

10. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

So, I'm in a "food market store" where I find some food with a receipt. But--psych--I'm actually on a street across the parking lot.

I am Brundlefly.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Do What is Necessary is the worst sequel ever. I'm surprised Spike Lee even made it. So, Do The Right Thing by a longshot.

12. Pringles

Pringles Member

I would eat it for myself.

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Wouldn't the right thing be to feed your family? I picked necessary, because it is NECESSARY. In the grand scheme of things, not getting the food for your family is the wrong thing to do. You'd rather have your family starve so you can get a "pat on the back" for returning unattended food to a store?

Why do we work? Why do we get educated? To get better jobs and support ourselves and our families. Sometimes you have to do things you don't like in order to get things done. Feeding my family is priority #1. The food was unattended, you didnt beat someone up and take their food, you didnt go into a supermarket and put a loaf of bread in your shirt.

14. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Maybe that is the karma...food given to you for all the times you did the right thing.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Q6M2_U3JDe4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  16. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

If it were just me, I would return it. If it were for my children, I would feed my kids, at least a little. I've been around long enough to know that nobody will take care of yours but you, and sometimes chick fil-a.

17. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Is there beans and tortillas in the basket?

18. SwoLy-D

^ YES. :grin: Good question. But the answer is still "I would not take it."

LCAhmed, if my family or I didn't pay for them, and they are already paid for, then I will take them back into the store and tell the manager about it, and explain my situation. That food is not "necessary", and I bet the manager will let me "take" the food if no one claims it when I come back later, since I was the one who found it. There's an explanation to everything, in my eyes.

Likewise, if push comes to shove, in this situation I could take my family to work with me somewhere to earn our food. :eek:

It is not GIVEN. It belongs to someone else.

19. Nero

Nero Member

As members of a society, we have constructed societal norms of right and wrong *within the context* of harmoniously fitting in within the society. Generally we call these 'rules' or often 'laws'.

However, the obligation to follow these norms exists only as long as there are not other situations or circumstances which would supersede that obligation.

For example, the very basic primal obligation 'to survive'.

You say the words 'your family is *starving*'. 'Starving' meaning, 'on the very verge of death due to a lack of food'. And yet you say you would dispose of an available way to prevent the deaths of yourself and your family members (presumably you are also starving, since you would be a member of 'your family'), rather than use the solution at hand in order to prevent said deaths.

I think you may simply be using the word 'starving' when in reality maybe you just meant 'really hungry'.

In any case, being on the verge of death absolves you of the obligation to do 'what is right' (at least according to the societal norms), because in the hierarchy of actions, what you yourself describe as 'necessary' becomes of greater importance than 'what is right' - especially because the 'what is right' is simply part of a social contract which you cannot continue to adhere if you and your family are *dead*.

I do not mean to say any of this facetiously. I take your question at face value, and when you say 'starving', I assume you really mean starving.

This is actually an old legal training issue, usually put in terms of something like the Donner Expedition. A group of settlers becomes stranded in the mountains during winter, with no way to escape their location. The group begins to succumb to starvation and the elements. Eventually, in order to survive, some of the survivors had to turn to cannibalism of the bodies of the departed. While clearly 'wrong' by any moral standard, and in fact 'illegal', their situation had effectively removed them from the social contract in which they had existed, and thus survival became the top priority.

Your question is a variation of that theme.

It's always fun and interesting to ask the 'what would you do?' questions, but in this case, there really is not even any need for debate.

Any rational person, when faced with certain death on the one hand, and the relatively minor infraction of utilizing some food which someone had either lost or forgotten on the other, would choose to feed his family and prevent their deaths.

You can always repay the person after the fact.

Which you cannot do if you are dead.

If the social contract leads directly to your death, then you become within your rights to operate outside of that contract, at least until such time as you are able to re-enter it.

20. SwoLy-D

^ That's a good explanation, but what about going into the supermarket with the food in your hand, and saying: "Since this doesn't belong to anyone, I'm taking it because my family is starving" ?? Family won't die if I take 10 more minutes to explain I am taking the food... heck, even the owner (whom you want to be as humanly compassionate as possible) might say: "Go ahead and take it, you need it more than me", am I right? :eek: