1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HuffPo: Obamacare rollout has been a complete disaster.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Oct 18, 2013.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Again you aren't addressing anything I wrote (why reply to me if you aren't gonna reply to me?). Throwing out a bunch of opinion pieces isn't an argument. It is just some random dudes view. Not meaningful at all.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

3. tallanvor

when Obamacare was pitched we were told it would not add one dime to our deficit. Oh how the message has changed. Just another broken promise highlighted by mark

4. mc mark

God you sound like a whiny b****

5. Classic

Classic Member

So, I have a couple positive experiences I feel compelled to share in light of so much back and forth on this issue. I like this bill and then again I don't. I work in commercial insurance and risk management. My clients are mostly owner operated businesses in construction and energy but I try not to get involved in benefits because frankly, it's toxic. However, people come to me anyway and I have means to help when I want to. I won't get too much into the specifics of my thoughts and on the negative side but here are two good things happening:

1) I am spinning my wife (30 yr old & very healthy) on to her own individual plan. Previously in Texas you could not get pregnancy coverage for women unless it was on a group plan. I resented this provision and found it unfair. On Jan 1, I drop her from my company plan to an individual plan with Cigna. Total for us through my company plan was about $1100 a month and her portion that I pay 100% was about $750 (pre-tax). Her individual plan will cost $305/mo and has superior coverage in many ways. This is a big win for our finances and will make my check about $300 more a month. Before ACA, she could have an individual plan for ~180 a month but it would not cover pregnancy.

2) I just helped another friend of mine--about same age. He is part owner of a mechanical contracting company. He and his wife just had a baby[they are early 30s]. When they went to add the baby to their group plan that consisted of about 10 employees through Humana their bill was $2400 a month pre-tax that their employer paid. We looked at a couple options for his company but it's a difficult proposition because they have employees in multiple states. I just ran an individual quote for him through Cigna again and for his family he can pick up same coverage plus dental for $900 a month.

I am not talking about the federal website either. This is me purchasing an individual plan through a local insurance broker. Anyway, I said I won't get into my personal feelings from what I dislike about the law but here are two examples of some good coming from the insurance changes.

1 person likes this.
  6. tallanvor

haha. because I pointed out that we were told it would not raise the defect? Oh how dare I introduce the facts. Link me to another random stranger's opinion about how Obamacare is awesome.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-by-the-President-to-a-Joint-Session-of-Congress-on-Health-Care

Obamacare adds trillions to the deficit btw, but don't worry its billions under what was projected (what dip**** made these projections?)

#366 tallanvor, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  7. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

that's pretty impressive considering the federal deficit shrunk YoY 37% to about $680 billion for FY 2013.

8. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Dont bother him with facts

9. mc mark

Forget it

These freaks have their talking points and facts be damned!

10. tallanvor

Just so we are clear, I am correct in saying you and mark are of the view that the ACA does not increase the deficit?

11. mc mark

#371 mc mark, Dec 3, 2013
  12. tallanvor

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

color me shocked. oh wait, no I'm not

14. mc mark

$142B swing from initial projections because the mandate was delayed a year? LOL!!!

Okay

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I can't believe I'm posting in this thread, but tallanvor, your own just posted data show two things:

1. You are completely wrong when you say the ACA adds "trillions" to the deficit. If that graph is accurate, it shows -18.4 Billion in the red as of 2019.

2. Again, if your graph is accurate, it shows the same trend, before and after the recalibration, and that is to break into positive surplus in the future. That is an option against what was the status quo, a startling amount of government money spent on healthcare, rising incredibly every year.

May I suggest:
    http://www.csmonitor.com/Photo-Galleries/Infographics/On-eve-of-Obamacare-US-health-care-vs.-socialized-health-care-in-five-countries#759269

Lot of interesting data here about what we've been doing.

3 people like this.
  16. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Thank you b bob

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to B-Bob again.

18. tallanvor

Did you read what I wrote? I wrote 'Not that I think the CBO is in any way capable of determining how much a piece of legislation will cost'. I in no way respect the CBO's projections. mark does though for some reason. The CBO's estimates are based on predictions that certain ridiculous goals will be met. They won't just like none of Obamacare's goals have been met already (thus the recalculation for the first ten years). The GAO predicitions are more reasonable since they take into consideration what happens when these goals aren't met.

do you know what 'etc.' means?

#378 tallanvor, Dec 3, 2013
  19. mc mark

Whatever weird scenario your handlers tell you to believe next?

Poor Doctor, like the GOP he is now so emotionally invested in the failure of ACA that he's backed himself into a corner and can't even entertain the possibility of success.

party before country

20. tallanvor

Why don't you do some research and figure out why the CBO revised their projections?

[​IMG]

#380 tallanvor, Dec 3, 2013