1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rocket Player Stats During the 4-Game Winning Streak

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

The last few games, i noticed Harden's TOs are way down....that's very important. I think that comes from spreading the ball around rather than trying to do everything himself which resulted in a lot of TOs. If he and Lin can reduced their TOs, they're on a right path.

2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I think that the team's improved shooting % and Harden's lower TO have a lot to do with the fact that Jeremy Lin is handling the ball now instead of Harden. Now that the PG is playing PG and the SG is playing SG, everyone has found their roles and knows what to do when they're on the court.

I don't want to sprain my elbow patting myself on the back, but I (and a number of other posters as well) have been clamoring for Lin to be used as PG instead of spotting up like a SG like he was earlier in the season, and that the team would be a lot better as a result of it. It feels nice to be proven right for once.

3. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Parson's 2.5 steal is pretty crazy, Also, 9 + steals a game??? crazy!! if all the steals are converted into 2 points that is roughly 18pts that is added to our score.

Our D is responsible for 15% of our offensive...that is only looking at steals

Obviously that is taking the numbers at face value..

i wonder if someone come up with a formula that shows how much our D pushes our Offense.. since that is Mchales philosophy...

4. cw3k

cw3k Member

Rockets can be the dark horse this season if they continue playing unselfish basketball.

5. me005

me005 Member

They also played better defense in the past 4 games, shutting down key players in each game - Kidd/Felton, Turner, Zbo/Gay, and Boozer/Noah/Hinrich
    :grin:

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

If feel like the poor rebounding performances of our PF isn't so much to do with the fact that they can't rebound, but the fact that they have to play next to Asik.

7. bongman

bongman Member

Our defensive and TO stats had a very strong correlation prior to our 4 game winning streak. We were defensively bad because a TO allows the other team to attack prior to us getting defensively set.

Once we get a good stop, there were tons of plays last night where once we secured the rebound, it was an outlet pass or just push the ball to get easy baskets.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Excellent analysis Clutch. Thanks for putting that together.

My only addition is to say Marcus Morris is one of the best fastbreak PFs the Rockets have ever had. I'm not so sure stats can show that. His passes are pretty impressive...as well as beating his man down court.

Regarding a take-away from these last 4 games...my take-away is Morris should start,,,and this is coming from a PPat fan.

9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

best and most promising stretch of games since the beginning of the 22 game win streak.

No, not on par, but the first time I've looked at the team and saw the potential to be great. I do believe that the years of free agents over looking the Rockets is over.

What an amazing offseason by Morey. (and we still essentially have 2-3 first rounders waitining in the wings)

10. Viola

Viola Member

Well said. Will rep if I could.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Honestly, you guys are probably right... it doesn't really make sense for Jones to be in the D-League and Motiejunas here, so he may have passed him. D-Mo also got some early time a few games ago. I'm probably basing it too much on old info and the eyeball test as Jones (I thought) had played well earlier in the year, looked more NBA ready and also seemed to be a lock for the rotation coming out of preseason.

This is a good point. I always try to look at what is sustainable and can be duplicated when looking at a really good stretch. I thought earlier in the year, when Parsons and Patterson were playing out of their minds, that they would not be able to sustain that -- but that the "good" news (believe it or not) was that Jeremy Lin was down, so that meant the ceiling was higher, that there was more room for improvement.

But Parsons has been pretty dang good for most of the year, and I think he can keep it up. His three-point shooting also makes me wonder, but in a small forward, you've got just about everything you'd want in Parsons -- coachable, likeable, hard-working, tall, gets out and runs, willing and able defender, can score, can shoot at a decent clip.

I'd say you move him only for that sure-fire second star, otherwise he's a real keeper.

Thanks, heyp. And I may agree on Morris... but I always go back to the McHale view of 'I don't care who starts but who finishes'. I do suspect he will make it a tough decision, but unless that starting unit continues to be head and shoulders above what they had with Patterson, it may be a matter of "Who provides more of a spark off the bench?" You may keep Patterson in the lineup with the offense from Harden-Lin-Parsons, and continue to use Morris off the bench.

But I agree with you and CXbby that he has made a real difference with their offense.

12. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

With the little bit of time they get to play it looks that way to me also. It really looks like Dmo could put up a lot of points.

13. heypartner

What is so beautiful about the Minnesota game is one of the Kings of uptempo releases his defenders early to slow the game down successfully, but doesn't have a finisher like Harden.

Unbelievable.

This is what we thought Thibodeaux would do. And Adelman did it with the favored position of catching the Rockets (presumably tired) in back-to-back on the road.

Yet,,,,Harden....I'm speechless.

14. heypartner

btw: did anyone else catch Harden and Love embracing after the game. hmmmm

15. torocan

torocan Member

Might want to update the thread to FIVE wins... :grin:

16. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

I did. So Mr. T has started his recruitment of A-Team members.

17. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Just to point , this poster only has one post....and its this (amusing, but joke's been beaten to death by now)

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I noticed that DMo's been good on his defensive rotations, at least in garbage time he's been getting lately. Considering that he was always out of position on PnR in the summer league, I think that's a massive improvement.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Parsons is the X factor. Its amazing how much he makes the game easier for everyone else. The guy is SERIOUSLY underrated. I had my doubts but he is seirously becoming my favorite player.

20. Karolik

Karolik Member

Our first close win in the winning streak and not surprisingly it came when Jeremy Lin sucked butt. If he had played well this would've been another blowout.