1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good can Cole Aldrich be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Oct 27, 2012.

1. RioFan

RioFan Contributing Member

http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=Carroll_Dawson

1 person likes this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, now we have a Kansas Gang (Morris, Aldrich) and a Kentucky Gang (Pat, Jones).

3. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Huge guy. I prefer him over Greg Smith. Someone that can play limited minutes at Center without being a huge defensive liability.

4. sidestep

sidestep Member

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Chris Mihm and Jake Voskuhl's b*stard child.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Cole's defensive instincts are terrible. He gets abused and can't defend without fouling. You'd think he would have learned a little from watching Perk. Just because he's a total zero on offense doesn't mean he's good on the other end. The guy has been a total disappointment. Presti is a great GM but he struck out on this one.

7. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

A lesser Howard

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Have you watched him play and looked at his statistics or are you just making assumptions because he's been stuck in the D-League instead of getting PT on a stacked team which was arguably best in the West?

This guy can play defense, and he can help us. He's not a player who is going to wow you, but I think he can earn rotation minutes as an NBA player.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cole Aldrich or Greg Smith?

That will be the battle of the backup C.

(I'm partial to Greg...)

1 person likes this.
  10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Cole Aldrich running on a fast break, I can not wait to see.

11. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I prefer Smith. He was very impressive against Baby Davis, who weighs in at 290, and he can post up! Any player who can post up down low is a worth keeping at this moment.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I follow OKC probably closer than everyone on this forum. I've seen the vast majority of his minutes on the floor during real games, summer league and pre-season.

So I'll ask you the same exact question about having actually watched him play. I don't know his stats because they are irrelevant for victory cigars like Cole.

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Wasn't Aldrich pretty much a total bust for OKC? Eleventh overall pick in the draft, but has played in only 44 regular season games in the NBA, mostly garbage time. I'm not going to assume the Aldrich is any better than Greg Smith just because he was a lottery pick. Smith has shown that he has some ability playing in the paint, so I wouldn't count Smith out at this point. Aldrich does win on size, and that may be enough for him to win the backup center position. However, the fact that OKC decided to bring in Thabeet should tell us a lot about how OKC viewed Aldrich.

14. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Agree. He's our new back-up C.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm torn on aldrich being a complete scrub or not now.

on one hand, OremLK is a legit and insightful poster here. and on the other, A_3PO is imo one of our most reliable player evalulators here on the board.

i almost can't wait to see aldrich play and assess his scrub level firsthand in order to determine which poster was right :D

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Not saying Aldrich hasn't been a disappointment, but Thabeet was brought in as a third-stringer behind Aldrich. Just a random bench signing to fill out the roster and offer an extra six fouls. It doesn't tell us much of anything.

17. RioFan

RioFan Contributing Member

From Thunder beat writer.

http://www.welcometoloudcity.com/2012/10/28/3565314/breaking-down-the-james-harden-trade

18. arjun

arjun Member

perhaps a Joel Pyrzbilla type?

Not bad for a back up, another big body. Hopefully he can show more than what Greg Smith has shown.

He will come in handy when Asik gets into foul trouble. We can easily play Aldrich and then continue with our usual rotation which might include having Donatas/Jones as the 5 and 4

19. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I didn't get to watch a lot of the pre season games,but what in the world has people so high on Smith all of a sudden ? looking at his stats,no blocks,poor rebounding ... and I'm guessing he was probably playing against scrubs ?

I just don't see Smith as the answer for our backup center.Aldrich doesn't look so bad in his projections,would really like to give this guy an opportunity and see if he can shine in a backup role.One thing I like is his 80% FT.Could help even out Asiks poor % in certain game situations ..Smith I think shoots below 60%

20. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

You can't teach height.

That pretty much sums up Aldrich's value. We now have 3 legit 7 footers on our roster. I love Chuck Hayes but eventually in a game of basketball you have to have some tall guys. You think Will Perdue stuck around in the NBA because he was talented?