1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BobFinn Classic Fantasy Hoops 2012-13 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by RocketsPimp, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Moe, how much for A+ rating? Well actually times are tough, maybe I should start with what you charge for a B rating?

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I'll quote one of my favorite posters who once said something to the effect of "I'm not your girl bro. We're here to bust your balls, not to drain them."

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Ask Pimp, he knows the price.

;)

Thanks for Lebron again

I'll do a little writeup tomorrow, as long as I'm not up at some ungodly hour and slagging through the day.

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

You're going to need more than Lebron to take the title from me. Let me get one of those Pumpkinators and maybe I'll take it easy on ya ;)

Looking forward to your writeup.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Ziggy
    C - Stoudemire, Hawes
    PF - Davis, Humphries, Favors
    SF - Carmelo, Granger, Kirilenko
    SG - Klay Thompson, George Hill
    PG - Rondo, Collison

Projected Starting 8:
    C: Stoudemire, PF: Davis, SF: Anthony, SG: Thompson, PG: Rondo
    UT: Granger, Humphries, Kirilenko

Analysis: A decent, but certainly not inspired 8 man team. Humphries seems destined to regress from last season's numbers just because of the additions of Joe Johnson, Gerald Wallace, and
    the return of Brook Lopez. Carmelo Anthony over DeMarcus Cousins was also a bad move since he likely could have had both if he had pulled the trigger on Cousins first. However, Rajon Rondo is quite valuable in this format and isn’t a bad consolation prize. SF is always a tricky position to get production from, but it shouldn’t be too much of a problem with Melo, Granger, and possibly Kirilenko.

Liked: The quick trigger on Anthony Davis at 3-11. Good value on Klay Thompson at 7-11. Hill and Kirilenko both have a chance to contribute.

Hated: Carmelo over Cousins, Humphries over Duncan / Glen Davis.

GRADE: C +

Truthscore

C: Lopez,
    PF: Horford, Jamison
    SF: Deng, Kidd-Gilchrist, Prince, Marion
    SG: Afflalo, Terry, W. Matthews
    PG: Irving, Westbrook

Projected Starting 8:
    C: Lopez PF: Horford SF: Deng SG: Afflalo PG: Westbrook
    UT: Irving, Kidd-Gilchrist, Marion

Analysis: A team with a very good foundation that really could have been a top contender with better middle / late round picks. Irving / Westbrook is a lethal PG combo, Brook Lopez I feel is going to have a good season, and Deng and Horford are always solid contributors. Afflalo could be a real gem if he ends up getting the bulk of offensive opportunities on a terrible Orlando team. However, to compete for a title run in this league, a solid core from 1 to 8 is a necessity. Falling in love with Mavs and ex-Mavs like Marion and Terry won’t help you when you need 30 points a night from your flex guys. Kidd-Gilchrist was a bit of a reach, as it is tough to project a SF having relevant fantasy value in this league unless he can score 20+ PPG. Matthews and Prince are guys who offer limited upside.

Loved: Early round picks
    Hated: Every pick after

Grade: B -

Sam Cassell
    C: Noah, Garnett
    PF: Griffin, Bosh, Duncan
    SF: Ariza
    SG: Wade, DeRozan, K Walker
    PG: Felton, Teague, I. Thomas

Projected Starting 8:
    C: Noah PF: Griffin SF: Ariza SG: Wade PG: Felton
    UT: Garnett, Bosh, Duncan

Analysis: Sam’s team is GREAT. Loved every pick. Seriously. Every single pick was amazing. Ariza should have an MVP-type caliber season and make everyone forget that before this season he couldn’t dribble a basketball to save his life. DeRozan should magically up his scoring average from 17 to 25. Garnett and Tim Duncan are obviously going to live forever. Raymond Felton has been pounding Slim-Fast shakes all offseason. HOLY ****ING ****! What a team!

Loved: Everything!
    Hated: Nothing!

Grade A++++++++++++++++

Rook
    C: M. Gasol, McGee
    PF: Dirk, Bargnani
    SF: Batum, Hayward, Parsons, Turkoglu
    SG: Harden
    PG: Paul, Dragic, Vasquez

Projected Starting 8
    C: M. Gasol PF: Dirk SF: Batum SG: Harden PG: Paul
    UT: Dragic, Bargnani, McGee

Analysis:
    Got good value on Dirk initially, then found out he’d be without him for the first 6 weeks. Starting 8 is honestly nothing to write home about. Chris Paul is going to produce, Gasol and Harden will get you numbers, Bargnani is going to need to prove he can play the 4 this year and not suck. Dragic looked great last year, needs to prove it wasn’t a fluke. SF position is littered with bottom of the barrel guys like Hayward and Parsons who might be able to get you a good line every 3 games. Batum and McGee are getting a little too long in the tooth to be considered sleeper studs anymore. Overall I assess Rook’s team about where it usually is. Middle of the pack.

Liked: Value on Dirk, late flier on Turkeyglue
    Hated: Wasting time on guys like McGee.

Grade: B

Flash
    C: Bynum, Varejao, Bogut
    PF: Ibaka, Ilyasova, Hickson, Robinson, Patterson
    SF: Paul George
    SG: Stuckey
    PG: John Wall, Damian Lillard

Projected Starting 8:
    C: Bynum, PF: Ibaka, SF: George SG: Stuckey PG: Wall
    UT: Lillard, Ilyasova, Varejao

Analysis: Overall, I like this draft. The one problem I usually see with a Flash draft is his tendency to fall too in love with young players and ignore proven vets. There is no denying he is well versed in sleeper speculation and scouts his own talent well, but that doesn’t always translate to fantasy success. That being said, this team needs to get healthy to maximize its full potential. Wall is going to miss the first month or so, and Bynum is already dealing with issues. SG and SF positions are a little weak. George should develop nicely but there is little depth behind him and Stuckey is trapped in a rotation that means low consistency. Ilyasova is a nice combo forward, but probably could have been had in the next round or later.

Liked: Nabbing Lillard where he went.
    Hated: Reached a bit on Ibaka and Ilyasova.

Grade: B+

Pimp

C: Monroe
    PF: Love, Thompson, Drummond
    SF: Gay, T. Young, Beasley, Marvin Williams
    SG: Evans, J Richardson
    PG: Nash, Lou Williams

Projected Starting 8:
    C: Monroe PF: Love SF: Gay SG: Evans PG: Nash
    UT: Beasley, L Williams, T. Young

Analysis: A respectable draft from the Pimp Daddy. Losing Love for the first month + will hurt a bit, but a shrewd drafter takes risks on guys who will likely see increased production. Guys like Michael Beasley and Thaddeus Young would usually be late round fodder, but this year Beasley is unleashed in Phoenix and Young will likely be given starter minutes at PF. Nash is decent value for Steve Nash on a super team, Lou Williams can put up 20 a night in Atlanta. That being said, this team is relying on a couple of these guys becoming very solid fantasy contributors on a nightly basis. I think he’s got the right group of guys to make that happen, but there is a chance that all could bust.

Loved: Seeing Pimp go Gay after trying to hawk Melissa Etheridge tickets.
    Hated: Seeing Thaddeus Young snatched before my eyes.

Grade A –

Fade
    C: Glen Davis, Asik
    PF: Aldridge, Z. Randolph,
    SF: Josh Smith, Jared Dudley, B. Roy
    SG: Ellis, K. Mart
    PG: Conley, Nelson, Jack

Projected Starting 8
    C: Davis PF: Aldridge SF: Smith SG: Ellis PG: Conley
    UT: Randolph, K-Mart, Dudley

Analysis: Solid, very solid draft from fade. Glen Davis is a steal for where he went. He should produce nicely on a crap-filled Orlando team. Randolph also went a bit under the radar. Jack and Dudley were sneaky late rounders. Asik could blossom into a Varejao / Noah clone. K-Mart looks rejuvenated in a contract year. Josh Smith is a mini-Lebron in this format. I hate to admit it, but I’m pretty envious of this collection of players. PG is the only position that seems a little weak.

Liked: Pretty much everything.
    Hated: Jameer Nelson

Grade: A

Wink3
    C: Jefferson, Nene, Dalembert
    PF: Boozer, R. Anderson, D. West, Ayon
    SF: Pierce
    SG: Gordon
    PG: D-Will, Lawson, Sessions

Projected Starting 8:
    C: Jefferson PF: Boozer SF: Piece SG: Gordon PG: D-Will
    UT: Lawson, Anderson, West

Analysis: Not too shabby for this year’s rook. I think Gordon pick will likely make or break wink3’s season. He needs that guy to be healthy and produce. Boozer was a nice little pickup, Anderson is a bit of a mystery, he was great last year, but the team change poses time-share issues. Will need David West and Paul Pierce to remain consistent and not regress.

Liked: Boozer pickup, Sessions.
    Hated: Nene, Dalembert

Grade B+

Pete Chilcutt
    C: Hibbert, Chandler, Valaciunas
    PF: Cousins, Nicholson
    SF: Leonard, Wright, J. Green
    SG: Kobe, Thornton
    PG: Holiday, Curry

Projected Starting 8:
    C: Hibbert PF: Cousins SF: Leonard SG: Kobe PG Holiday
    UT: Curry, Chandler, Thornton

Analysis: I like the way this team is put together, a good mix of depth and players who should be solid all around. The SF position is the focus here. If Leonard or Wright can give you consistent points, then I don’t see any reason why this team won’t compete.

Liked: pee-pee games with Cousins
    Hated: Watching helplessly as you stole my targets at the other end of the draft.

PSJ
    C: D. Jordan, Zeller
    PF: Millsap
    SF: Durant, H. Barnes
    SG: Ginobili, Mayo, Joe Johnson, B. Beal
    PG: Jennings, Lin, D. Rose

Projected Starting 8
    C: Jordan, PF: Millsap, SF: Durant, SG: J. Johnson, PG: Jennings
    UT: Lin, Mayo, Ginobili

Analysis: I think this is the one year where PSJ didn’t go crazy drafting rookies. I am honestly shocked to not see Lillard and Anthony Davis here. Well, at least there was Beal and Zeller toward the end.

Liked: That you didn’t steal all the rookies this year
    Hated: Stop the Linsanity

Grade: B

Jent
    C: D. Howard, Pekovic, Vucevic
    PF: P. Gasol, D. Lee, G. Wallace, Scola, Brand
    SF: Evan Turner
    SG: Ben Gordon
    PG: Kyle Lowry, Mo Williams

Projected Starting 8:
    C: Howard, PF: Gasol, SF: Wallace, SG: Turner, PG: Lowry
    UT: Lee, Scola, Pekovic
    Analysis: Like jent’s draft about as much as I like anyone’s. Last year he loaded up on big men and had some unfortunate injuries that derailed his season, this time around I think he’s got the pieces to make a serious title run.

Liked: Pekovic, getting Scola so late.
    Hated: Ben Gordon / Evan Turner do not give great depth at the SF/SG.

Moes
    C: Gortat, Kaman
    PF: Faried, Biyombo, Splitter
    SF: Lebron, Gallinari
    SG: Igoudala, Waiters
    PG: Parker, Rubio, Knight
    Projected Starting 8
    C: Gortat PF: Faried SF: Lebron SG: Igoudala PG: Parker
    UT: Gallinari, Kaman, Knight (Rubio)

Analysis – Really good drafters this year. I didn’t really go in with a set strategy, I just like to be able to find guys who produce and guys who can play multiple positions. I’m hoping Faried will take the next step and be a beast this year. I’m not too thrilled about having 3 Nuggets in my starting 8, but I felt those were the best available guys and all should put up good stats. Rubio is a guy who did very well in this format last year, and if he comes back in December, then it only strengthens my starting 8. Hoping to get a spark from somewhere with the late round flier picks, Kaman will probably get hurt and Biyombo will probably suck, so its all up to Splitter to prove he’s worth more than being Mr. Irrelevant.

Liked: Taking the Manimal.
    Hated: Not being able to land Jeff Green or Thaddeus Young.

I will refrain this season from grading myself or predicting my team's performance for the sake of superstition.

Predictions:

Contenders: Pimp, Jent, Fade, Chillcutt
    In the Mix: Flash, wink3, Rook, Sam
    Bottom Feeders: Ziggy, PSJ, Truthscore

1 person likes this.
  6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Thanks moes. :grin:

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Thanks, Moe. I'm not nearly as high on my team this year, but we'll see. I think my success or failure will depend heavily on Glen Davis. Hopefully he seizes the opportunity. My significant other and I tease each other a lot by calling the other person "Big Baby Davis" when one of us complains about something, so I have a soft spot for the guy anyway.

Jameer Nelson was actually supposed to be Mo Williams, but he got sniped by jent right before me. Should have gone with Hickson there, I guess. Oh well. Almost took Brandon Knight over K-Mart, but that contact year boom potential was the deciding factor.

Of everyone, the teams I like best belong to wink, Sam, jent and surprisingly, Ziggy (assuming Amare comes back okay).

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I also love Big Baby because somebody I know actually had his cell number, and after he hit that game winning shot for Boston where he pushed the kid over, we texted him pretending to be some tramp congratulating him on his win, and he actually texted us back.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Glad someone likes my team (but I don't get the "surprisingly" go screw yourself lul). I have deep, heartfelt regrets about where I took Humphries and reaching for Favors so soon but all I need from Humphries to justify where I took him is 85% of his production from last year. But the real pain for me comes from dreams of a potential Cousins/Rondo combo...

PS: My late round drafting was phenomenal if I may say so myself.

10. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Pee-pee games, my friend. Pee-pee games.. :grin:

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I didn't hate your draft, I just think you really screwed up by taking Melo and Hump.

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I'm impressed. Your analysis of my team was dead on. Here I thought there was going to be bias, but it was a totally fair review. Thanks!

13. wink3

wink3 Member

carmelo over cousins, I give you an automatic F.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

good read. Thanks.

For me, my draft ended up like the movie Prometheus, answering no questions whatsover, and ending in a hot mess with a half naked squid sucking face with an astronaut. the whole experience was nothing more than a traumatic implantation of a parasitic larvae inside my belly, maturing by the end of it, and erupting from my chest just before the credits roll.

So here I am now, lying down on the dinner table, with my gut opening regrets from the draft before me, squealing as they are, and sliding across the table. Frightening sight for any drafter to see. I regret getting outdrafted on Petkovic and Robinson. needed both. I instead was forced into a manipulative hand holding excercise with a virulent biologic weapon that slides along the table in the form of Deandre Jordan. Yep. This is part of what I birthed here. So in lob city I now sit, but so far, this prequel looks interesting. He'll die at the end of the movie, we know that, but this weapon is headed for planet earth one way or the other, and I'm rooting for the Alien. I have a lot riding on Jordan. And Millsap too. They both may have walnut sized oranizations deciding their playing time, but they are killing machines for me this year.

Seeking to find the origins of humanity in this draft, I hated to see Anthony Davis and the unibrow get drafted before my pick, as I have a tradition to uphold here at the Weyland corporation. The mission is clear. Draft rookies. Darn it. Epic Failure. Instead i get a black oosy shapeless liquid. Yep, I end up with Joe Johnson and Jennings. Davis looks like a stud.

And then there is, oh my god, it can't be, a manu on my team? Defined by Wickipedia as a flopper. To quote Cam Newton, same director same story. Manu is little more than a robot disguised as a human. Yep, five movies in a row. A flop. A freaking robot who nobody on the spaceship can figure out is an android until the end of the movie when it takes one to the gut and bleeds the same stuff they feed humans in the matrix, a piss poor form of oatmeal and soy. Manu was a big mistake I think. Much like the Oatmeal and Grit hybrid that went to market in the 80's.

I feel a lot like Sigourney Weaver here running for my life, always being chased, and yet at the same time I have fallen in love with this hot ugly mess of a team. The oozing beast with a bananna shaped head and a drooling disease is my beast, my child, and my creation to deal with. It may not be pretty, but unlike many other recurring extraterrestrial races in science fiction, my team is not an intelligent civilization, nor did I intend it thay way, but instead it is what I have crafted, a predatory creature with no higher goals than the propagation of my species and the destruction of any lifeform that could pose a threat to my winning the title in this league.

Order of finish excluding my alien race;

1. Moe
    2. Pimp
    3. Chilcutt
    4. Jent
    5. Truthscore
    6. Sam
    7. Ziggy
    8. Fade
    9. Rook
    10. Wink
    11. Flash

1 person likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

For me this was like a top 10 post of all-time. I teared up. It'd only hit home with a very select few though and none of the Alien crowd will ever see this post since it's stuck in fantasy sports section purgatory.

16. RocketsPimp

Nice work moe. I have to take one + away from Sammy though. Ariza should have an MVP-type caliber season? Now that's golden!

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Damn. I feel like Kyle on the episode of Southpark when the girls make "The List" of the cutest and ugliest kids in class and he's at the bottom. Yet Clyde gets picked cutest cause they get great deals on shoes from him. :(

18. RocketsPimp

The league is out of draft mode, but like I emailed to everyone free agency will not begin until 7pm CST.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Anyone doing any fun, non-jabroni Yahoo fantasy leagues and need an extra?

20. wink3

wink3 Member

That is so hurtful, phi.